Threaded View

LG heat pump problem

Well hello guys, previous post was about remote sensors, these are coming in January and are on order from LG so will be fitted then, until then we are compensating by having the set points a degree higher.

As you can see from my previous posts I have 1 x FM25Ah outdoor multisplit unit connected to 2 x MV12AH (3.5kw) indoor convertible units, (lounge and bedroom)

The outdoor unit is RATED at 1990 watts going down to 1194watts (maintaining setpoint) when both indoor units are on cooling when maintaining setpoint (inverter ramping up and down). This is as per the product specification databook based on certain operating conditions outdoor ambient etc. This figure is pretty spot on though and very accurate.

However in heating mode its a diff situation totally. It says that to have both units turned on in heating and set point of 20C outdoor ambient 7 which is what it has been last few days here in Leeds that the outdoor unit is rated at 2280W, dropping to 1368W (i assume when only maintaining set point)

I checked this yesterday and today and it only ever gets to 1368W if one unit is operating maintaining setpoint. WHich apparently if only one unit is operating it should drop to 800w. It doesnt seem to be ramping down to the 800w so the unit cycles when mainting setpoint. It cycles in cooling but am not bothered because it is costing next to nothing to run.

If both units are running at max power on heating i.e room temp diff of 3C (inverter ramped fully up) the quoted max rating of the outdoor unit is 2500W however its registering on my energy monitor as 2900W even when only maintaining set point, this drops perhaps to the rated input when its maintaining setpoint.

When only one unit is operating in heating mode the max it will ramp down to is 1300W when its maintaining setpoint. This is no where near the 800w mark that is quoted in the specs? So im dissapointed as yes its cheaper than electric heaters but having checked with the energy meter its using more than I was expecting it to. Cooling is very cheap and within the specs quoted, heating is always like 2280W when both units are on and maintaining set point. No where near the 1368W quoted for the min input on the sheets.

We pay 18p per unit of electric and were putting in about £5 a day in coins when were using it both units, and prob about £3 when using just the one unit.

To say an electric heater uses 2kw well this is using an extra 500w when both units are on (yes it heats the whole flat using 2500w as apposed to one room but I want the quoted specs. The units are oversized a little but all doors are left open so it also heats our large hallway so the doors are never closed. Its like it doesnt ramp down early enough so it goes overset point. Cooling mode it sometimes maintains setpoint of .5C but in heating it seems to always be 1C before it clicks back in and 1C oversetpoint before shutting off its not as precise. When its 1C off setpoint it should be pretty much ramped right down but it still doesnt seem low enough for it to go over set point. Once its reached the set point point it stays on until its gone 1C over but doesnt seem to slow down.

For instance it just cycled back on in both rooms and was using 2300W but then cycled back off and didnt seem to ramp down.

Can any one shed some light on this for me? Have tried settng fan speeds from high to low to see if the space was heating up too quickly and in low fan speed its exactly the same, seems to use a lot of power even if just 1C off set point.

The installer who put it in did it as a favour and i got it a lot cheaper than normally but I feel if i keep asking him out and saying its not performing properly in heating that im being a bit ungrateful really. he has connected his ampmeter to it and he says its running properly but I dont think he left it long enough he only measured it on 30C flat out which I think is still using more than it should.

The link is here to the specifications data book. Scroll to my model of outdoor (FM25AH) on the combination tables and you can see the figures for heating and cooling below the cooling. http://mylg.co.uk/data%20for%20site/multi%20f%202008%20outdoor.pdf

Any help appreciated as always guys.
    Last edited by back2space; 15-12-2008 at 05:21 AM.