Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: problem with split a/c

hi brian,

I agree with every word you write,
    but there are no tools available to tell who is on the other side of that post.

sometimes you just have to read between the lines and ask yourself what sort of tech would ask such a question.

unfortunatly, there are and always be people who will try to cut corners.

I strongly belive that beside helping here, we also carry a mission.

chemi

Quote Originally Posted by slothslag

i set free the charge of gas and weighed in a new charge 1.8 kg is what it said on the name plate. i made sure there was a tiny bit of pressure in there before i recharged to make sure air didnt enter the system. i used my mother in laws kithen scales. I ballanced the gas bottle upside down on ones side with about 3 house bricks on the other. then i put exactly 1.8kg on with the gas and charged till it ballanced again.

i know im a naughty ******* for polutng the atmosphere. this was just a one off
    Hello all,

I agree with you Brian. He knew what he was doing was wrong (see above).

Chemi- it is frustrating when you offer any help. It's too difficult to diagnose all but the most obvious of faults from 12,000 miles away, but I didn't expect him to come on the forum and blatently admit to releasing the charge into the atmosphere. I have an apprentice working for me and he would never do this-perhaps I'm getting naive. It's not so much frustrating, but a couple of weeks ago on this thread, I believe I had advised him to recover the charge into an empty cylinder, and other members had also replied when he asked how to reclaim. The thing is how is it possible to know someones level of knowledge?

Peter- I know what you are saying. He will never know whether his a/c was overcharged or undercharged, as he just let out the gas instead of weighing out his recovered charge, and besides, you are correct in that the fault will not be known anyway. I am all for learning new things, but how can he possibly learn from this, because if it does happen again, the fault was never found, so how will he be able to know what to look for? I think that the only equipment that I work on (air con) that have TEV's are the close control coolers in big comms rooms, everything else I believe, as you have said have capillary's-even big VRF's)-must brush up some of my a/c product knowledge. Usually if I ever charge smaller splits, then I tend to work on suction superheat and amp draw rather than HP's etc.
    I learnt Dutch from spending alot of time there, and having to get by. Although alot of Dutch people speak English, whenever I visit I don't tend to speak much English, because I feel it more polite to speak to them in their native tongue. My Dutch isn't so good as it was but I can get by OK.

I feel quite bad as we all seem to be talking about Paul as though he is no more. I believe in the power of learning passionately, and am never afraid to ask. I was grateful to both Chemi and Aiyub when I started my own business for their advice. It is wrong to alienate someone for just asking, but these actions are not ignorance-they are a blatent attempt to perform a skilled job without the correct equipment, and cut corners. This equipment must be used not only for that, but also for safety- he could have been injured. R22 boils at -44 degrees-cold burns can be serious as well as other consequences. I hope Paul will still make a contribution to the site as I'm sure we all learn from each other. Different techs do things in their own ways, and I for one believe that being as good as you can means opening your mind to new ideas and asking others, but on the other hand I think that the job should be done properly and theres no point in asking for help if you are going to think theres no point in following it- to me it's like buying a new car and never driving it. I stand by what I have said and with Chemi, Peter and Brian-Icannot accept that a couple of bricks and the kitchen scale is a job done well.

Sorry for waffling on. Hope you all had a good Easter.

James
    a problem shared is a problem halved

Brian

I agree with your sentiments, especially when it comes to the issues about safety, environment, etc

I for one, would not advocate assisting those " bent on having a go" novices for whom a little knowledge is indeed very dangerous.

I feel it is easily discernable at a very early stage exactly what level a poster is at at the onset, and the response should reflect advice which will avoid any problems or risk to that member, ie: ask him to contract a proffessional

But to cut it short, yes, it is in the interests of all not to encourage the DIY;ers. There is a proper route into this industry, and this forum is not about a step by step guide on how to repair a fridge.
    Last edited by Abe; 12-04-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Agreed, Aiyub, we don't need to get too heavy after all do we?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

hi guys,

i know what i did was a bad thing . and i know when i did it that it was a bad thing. I had my reasons for doing it. im not a complete novice. Im an electrician with an intertest in this and have installed many a/c units but never done any serviceing. The inverter system was dificult for me to diagnose.

getting back to the point... i knew that if i admitted releasing gas that many would have a few things to say about it. knowing now the reaction i would have gotten I wouldnt have admitted it.

I agree with Aiyub. and I have to admit it was a pain in the arse to have people posting replys about being amateurish and needing the experts. Too much of that and yes I wouldnt spend as much time on this site as I do. Mostly I think this site is great. It is difficult to get to the root of the problem by typing a few words, but in this thread I have learnt heaps. Im not in it to save a few bucks. Last week I spent a few hundred bucks on textbooks and my wife thinks im obsessed when i keep playing with our a/c at home.

anyway.. thanks for the advice with this particular problem. I hope you dont think it was all in vain. it was very helpful and I do respect the correct way of doing things.

paul

Paul

I wasn't trying to be rude to you, but it is quite serious (enough said) lets let the matter be over, and I hope to be of help to you in the future-not next week as I'm in the US.

I'll take my hat off to you for replying to all the grief

hi paul,

in your country, you require certain certificats to work as independent AC&R tech, there are no short cuts, you have to learn and pass varius tests.

would you help someone to repair electrical problems through the internet?
    iI doubt it. this is wrong way of getting knowledge.

sooner or later you will have to study, so why not start there?

the guys here will always help, but what if something will go wrong afterwords?

get in touch with the australian techs on this forum and I'm sure they will give you all the help you will need to get your AC&R tech licence.

chemi

Hi Chemi

I was just reading your reply. I agree with what you write, as I thought that the purpose of having a forum like this was to share knowledge amongst ourselves. I don't agree with the site being used for the purpose of gaining the required knowledge to undertake this sort of work, in any event it isn't possible-you still need to have the practical exposure and after all there's no substitute for experience. I fear that this thread will get out of hand before too long, as we all have our own opinions. Paul knows the consequences of these actions, but if it's going on, then what's the point of having a safe handling of refrigerants certificate? I wonder if I was on a similar forum for electricians and admitted to re-wiring a bulding without doing an earth continuity or resistance test etc. would anything be said? I suspect so.
    Anyway, enough said-let it be in the past.

Best Wishes
    James

PS- At least Paul is willing to ask and learn, which is more than can be said for alot of new techs these days.

Paul- Speak to Bones as I think he may be able to advise you on TAFE etc (I remember a thread about this a while back-you should be able to get some idea on doing the CFC cert)
    Last edited by iceman007; 13-04-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Smile Re: problem with split a/c

Yes, I think this thread has run its course now.

We have all learnt something from it and I am glad to see that Paul is a learner as well as a do'er

Thanks everyone for your input. Thread closes Wednesday night.
    Retired March 2015

Now closed, thanks all
    Retired March 2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12