Temp over run with Daikin VRV-S

I’m still trying to figure out all the operations of the Daikin VRV-S recently installed in my home.

I recently posted on having some faults. One of the symptoms is inconsistent temps in the home. By monitoring Service Mode 41 I find that of my four FXSQ indoor units most are not maintaining the set point temp on the controller (there is only one controller). I have remote sensors in each of the four areas of the indoor units and have set code 10 (20) to 2.02 (for both code 10 and 20).

Here is a sample of the temps (monitored over a 15 hour period). The set point temp on the controller is 68*F with outdoor temp of 35*F:

Unit Number: 0 1 2 3
    Suction Air 68 72 71 72
    Liquid Pipe 73 79 79 79

As you can see the only unit that is maintaining the set point on the controller is unit 0. All three of the other units are significantly over the set point and the liquid pipe temp indicates heat is still being produced by those units. During this period my electricity consumption of the outdoor unit was 3,705 watts. Thus, the outdoor unit is running as though a significant amount of heat is needed when, in fact, no heat is needed in any of the four areas severed by the indoor units.

What can be causing this problem?

Thank you for all the support each of you have provided.

Re: Temp over run with Daikin VRV-S

Mchild
    Did you set each indoor unit (0. 1. 2. 3) in the 20 / 2.01 to 2.02 code?
    Did you valid the function each times?
    rgds
    cool#9

Quote Originally Posted by cool#9 View Post
    Mchild
    Did you set each indoor unit (0. 1. 2. 3) in the 20 / 2.01 to 2.02 code?
    Did you valid the function each times?
    rgds
    cool#9

cool#9,

Yes, set that code in 20 and also in 10. I know I validated it and with the 20 code I was able to go back into the code and see how it was set for each indoor unit. Each were set at 2.02.

Any other thoughts?

mchild,

There are a couple of things you may not be aware on the VRV systems.

First, when you set the code 10-2-02, all unit in the group will be programmed in one go. There is no need to make individual settings in code 20 X.XX

The “Teen” (10 to 19) setting codes display the factory settings each time you go into the setting mode and when you make a change it will program your new setting to all indoor units connected to same remote controller.

In contrast to above the 20’s setting codes (20 to 29) will show you the actual or current settings and you can select a single indoor unit within the same group. You will see “Unit No” is displayed when you select code 20 to 29.

In cooling mode the electronic expansion valve will close to 100% when the thermostat is off. However in heating mode thermostat off the EEV will remain 240 pluses open. This is to prevent oil and liquid refrigerant collecting in the fan coil units that are in thermostat off condition or are switched off.

It seems that in your house the warmer rooms are suffering from residual heating. There is a field setting that turns the fan off when the thermostat is off in heating mode. (No fan = no heat transmitted into the room). I am not 100% sure but I Think it might be 12-3-03.

Hope the above helps.

Obi Wan

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
    mchild,

There are a couple of things you may not be aware on the VRV systems.

First, when you set the code 10-2-02, all unit in the group will be programmed in one go. There is no need to make individual settings in code 20 X.XX

The “Teen” (10 to 19) setting codes display the factory settings each time you go into the setting mode and when you make a change it will program your new setting to all indoor units connected to same remote controller.

In contrast to above the 20’s setting codes (20 to 29) will show you the actual or current settings and you can select a single indoor unit within the same group. You will see “Unit No” is displayed when you select code 20 to 29.

In cooling mode the electronic expansion valve will close to 100% when the thermostat is off. However in heating mode thermostat off the EEV will remain 240 pluses open. This is to prevent oil and liquid refrigerant collecting in the fan coil units that are in thermostat off condition or are switched off.

It seems that in your house the warmer rooms are suffering from residual heating. There is a field setting that turns the fan off when the thermostat is off in heating mode. (No fan = no heat transmitted into the room). I am not 100% sure but I Think it might be 12-3-03.

Hope the above helps.

Obi Wan

Obi Wan,

Thank you for this explanation.

Yes, I understand now about the setting of the 10-19 codes and the 20-29 codes.

According to the documentation I received 12-3-01 is set fan to LL in t-stat off and 02 is set fan by user when t-stat is off. My documentation does not show what 03 does but it is an available setting on my system and I have set it. We will see if that works.

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by mchild View Post
    Obi Wan,

Thank you for this explanation.

Yes, I understand now about the setting of the 10-19 codes and the 20-29 codes.

According to the documentation I received 12-3-01 is set fan to LL in t-stat off and 02 is set fan by user when t-stat is off. My documentation does not show what 03 does but it is an available setting on my system and I have set it. We will see if that works.

Thank you again.

The LL fan setting is ultra low (lower than the low speed you can select from the remote controller)

The 10-3-02 will keep the fan running at the set speed you selected on the remote controller during thermostat off.

If you have the setting 03 then for sure the fan will be switched off during thermostat off.

Obi wan

The LL fan setting is ultra low (lower than the low speed you can select from the remote controller)

The 10-3-02 will keep the fan running at the set speed you selected on the remote controller during thermostat off.

If you have the setting 03 then for sure the fan will be switched off during thermostat off.

Obi wan

It has been long enough to show that it is working. Each area is reading 67-68*F at this moment. That is a big improvement.

Does this setting also turn the fan off in cooling mode when t-stat is off? If not do you know what setting does?

Thank you.

It has been long enough to show that it is working. Each area is reading 67-68*F at this moment. That is a big improvement.

Does this setting also turn the fan off in cooling mode when t-stat is off? If not do you know what setting does?

Thank you.
    I think the same setting will also work in cooling mode. Originally this setting was for cooling mode only, but later the software was amended to carry out the same function for heating mode as well.

Obi Wan

I think the same setting will also work in cooling mode. Originally this setting was for cooling mode only, but later the software was amended to carry out the same function for heating mode as well.

Obi Wan

You are a wealth of knowledge and a gentleman.

Obi Wan
    As I already mentioned the setting works in heat mode and the temp over run issue has been resolved. Curious about the operation in cooling mode I tried it and unfortunately it does not switch the fan off when the temp has been satisfied. The fan continues to run in at the speed set - either low or high.

Any chance there is another setting to turn the fan off in cooling mode once the space has been cooled and the t-stat is off?

As I already mentioned the setting works in heat mode and the temp over run issue has been resolved. Curious about the operation in cooling mode I tried it and unfortunately it does not switch the fan off when the temp has been satisfied. The fan continues to run in at the speed set - either low or high.

Any chance there is another setting to turn the fan off in cooling mode once the space has been cooled and the t-stat is off?

I need to look into this, will get back to you.

Obi Wan

I need to look into this, will get back to you.

Obi Wan

Thank you!

Mchild

Can you check if your units have the field setting 12-6-03? Also what is the exact model number?

Obi Wan

Mchild

Can you check if your units have the field setting 12-6-03? Also what is the exact model number?

Obi Wan
    Obi im interested in 12-6-03 can you explain more?

Just to throw another couple of field settings in to the mix 10-2-03 to use the remote controller sensor only and eliminate the need for the remote sensor. Also mode 3 setting 3 from the outdoor unit to allow your master indoor unit to show automatic mode.

Mchild

Obi Wan

Outdoor unit is VRV-S RXYMQ48MVJU. Indoor units are all FXSQ**MVJU.

I do not have 6-03 in mode 12. The first codes I do have in mode 12 are 0, 1, 2, and 9.

I also have field setting 14-7-01 & 02. I have not seen that one listed anywhere. Plus, I have a bunch under mode 1b- first codes from 3 to 9 and large numbers of second codes (first code 3 has about 20 second codes to select).

Thank you.
    Last edited by mchild; 13-12-2008 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by puddleboy3 View Post
    Obi im interested in 12-6-03 can you explain more?

Just to throw another couple of field settings in to the mix 10-2-03 to use the remote controller sensor only and eliminate the need for the remote sensor. Also mode 3 setting 3 from the outdoor unit to allow your master indoor unit to show automatic mode.

I only have one remote controller located in a utility closet so that is the reason for the remote sensors. I have the sensor in the remote controller turned off with 10-1-02. The system is now working very well at maintaining the temp.

Another provided me with the way to get auto change over on my one remote controller using mode 3. But, I thank you for the information. Anything else you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Puddleboy3 / Mchild

The 12 – 6 – XX code is the same as 12 – 3 – XX, but is for cooling mode. The following is the actual control;
    12 – 3 – 01 = indoor fan at Low Low speed during Heating thermostat off.
    12 – 3 – 02 = indoor fan at set speed (high or low) during Heating thermostat off
    12 – 3 – 03 = indoor fan off during Heating thermostat off

12 – 6 – 01 = indoor fan at Low Low speed during Cooling thermostat off.
    12 – 6 – 02 = indoor fan at set speed (high or low) during Cooling thermostat off
    12 – 6 – 03 = indoor fan off during Cooling thermostat off

The 12-6-XX codes are only available on the new P series indoor units. I have seen this on the new FXMQ-P and FXFQ-P. As the rest of the range is upgraded to P series I am sure we will see the setting available.

Mchild, you have an M series standard ducted unit, so that’s why you don’t have the 12-6-XX setting. However all is not lost. I will send you a PM with instructions to follow that will give you the control you are after.

Regards

Obi Wan

Hi Puddleboy3 / Mchild

The 12 – 6 – XX code is the same as 12 – 3 – XX, but is for cooling mode. The following is the actual control;
    12 – 3 – 02 = indoor fan at set speed (high or low) during Heating thermostat off

12 – 6 – 02 = indoor fan at set speed (high or low) during Cooling thermostat off

The 12-6-XX codes are only available on the new P series indoor units. I have seen this on the new FXMQ-P and FXFQ-P. As the rest of the range is upgraded to P series I am sure we will see the setting available.

Mchild, you have an M series standard ducted unit, so that’s why you don’t have the 12-6-XX setting. However all is not lost. I will send you a PM with instructions to follow that will give you the control you are after.

Regards

Obi Wan

Received all. Many thanks!

Any idea what all the 1b codes are for? Seems like it may have something to do with the Away function of this controller. I haven't yet figured out how to put it in the Away mode. I will figure that out at some point.
    Last edited by mchild; 13-12-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Received all. Many thanks!

Any idea what all the 1b codes are for? Seems like it may have something to do with the Away function of this controller. I haven't yet figured out how to put it in the Away mode. I will figure that out at some point.
    O.K
    Setting 1b-0-01 allows the user to toggle between permission level 1 and level 2
    Setting 1b-0-02 allows the user to toggle between permission level 1 and level 3
    Permission levels disables buttons on the remote controllers to prevent unauthorised use.

Permission level 1
    All function and buttons available for your system.

Permission level 2
    All buttons except the following are disabled.
    On/Off Button
    Schedule Timer Button
    Temperature Adjust Buttons
    Mode Selection Button
    Fan Speed Button
    Auto Swing Button

Permission level 2
    On/Off Button
    Fan Speed Button

To toggle between permission levels you need to press and hold the fan button on the right then press the auto swing button and the two buttons directly above the test button, simultaneously. It’s a two hand job. Now if you push a button that is disabled “Not Available” will appear on the display.

Setting 1b-1-02 enables home leave function. The home leave mode will when activated, switch on the indoor unit in heating mode if the temperature measured by the indoor unit falls below 10ºC. The indoor unit will switch off when the room temperature has reached 15ºC or above.
    Once you enable the home leave function you will need to activate the function by pressing the timer up and down buttons simultaneously. A door symbol will appear on the top centre of the display which will flash when actual function is in progress.

Setting 1b-2-01 will use the remote controller sensor for the home leave function. This is the factory setting.
    Setting 1b-2-02 will use the indoor unit return air sensors for the home leave function. As your remote controller is not in the same room as the indoor units you will need to set this setting.

Well you did ask!!
    P.S. who do I send the bill to.

Regards

Obi Wan

Hi Puddleboy3 / Mchild

Regards

Obi Wan
    this 12-6-03 means the indoor fan can stop when the system is throttled down to minimum and there is no call for cooling?
    Take the V out of HVAC and you are left with a HAC job

Quote Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
    this 12-6-03 means the indoor fan can stop when the system is throttled down to minimum and there is no call for cooling?

Yes, the system can be configured so that it will do this.

O.K
    Setting 1b-0-01 allows the user to toggle between permission level 1 and level 2
    Setting 1b-0-02 allows the user to toggle between permission level 1 and level 3
    Permission levels disables buttons on the remote controllers to prevent unauthorised use.

Permission level 1
    All function and buttons available for your system.

Permission level 2
    On/Off Button
    Schedule Timer Button
    Mode Selection Button
    Fan Speed Button
    Auto Swing Button

Permission level 2
    On/Off Button
    Fan Speed Button

To toggle between permission levels you need to press and hold the fan button on the right then press the auto swing button and the two buttons directly above the test button, simultaneously. It’s a two hand job. Now if you push a button that is disabled “Not Available” will appear on the display.

Setting 1b-1-02 enables home leave function. The home leave mode will when activated, switch on the indoor unit in heating mode if the temperature measured by the indoor unit falls below 10ºC. The indoor unit will switch off when the room temperature has reached 15ºC or above.
    Once you enable the home leave function you will need to activate the function by pressing the timer up and down buttons simultaneously. A door symbol will appear on the top centre of the display which will flash when actual function is in progress.

Setting 1b-2-01 will use the remote controller sensor for the home leave function. This is the factory setting.
    Setting 1b-2-02 will use the indoor unit return air sensors for the home leave function. As your remote controller is not in the same room as the indoor units you will need to set this setting.

Well you did ask!!
    P.S. who do I send the bill to.

Regards

Obi Wan

You have spent a lot of time on my many niggling issues. Thank you much.

You are worth more than any amount I could pay you. But send your bill on - I will be glad to oblige.