tox08 Guest

What Course To Do?

Hey all, i'm really glad i found this site!! And even better for me it has members from both UK and AUS on here so i can get tips from both country's!!

Ok basically i've been working in IT for the last 10yrs and now i'm just board of it. So i decided to have a career change and tried to figure what it is that i want to do. Well i figured i like working outdoors meeting new people and using my hands! Narrowed down careers invovling just that and i managed to narrow it down to Air Con & Refrigeration! Ok now from my thoughts on this career path, i've thought about the future and i came to a conclusion that this is certainly 1 trade skill that can take you anywhere in the world you want to go and there will always be a demand for this! Well i certainly hope so. So 1st question here, is this a good career to enter into? I'm not so bothered about the money more about the satisfaction from the job....

So if i did take the plunge into this career then what courses are recommended? I have looked at doing the C&G 6127 course to begin with as this seems to be an entry level point into getting into the field! Do you recommend this course?

I also plan to move to Aussie in 2009-2010 but that all just depends... If i do make the move then i will probably have to redo an Air Con course there as applying for a Visa in this field wouldn't work as i've not much experience. The way i see it, is at least i'll have an easy time learning it over there as i'd already have done it in the UK and it may make finding a job easier while i redo the course as i could show prospective employers my UK quals.... However thats just the dream and back in reality if i don't go to aus i need to be suitably qualified in the UK....

Re: What Course To Do?

Quote Originally Posted by tox08 View Post
    Hey all, i'm really glad i found this site!! And even better for me it has members from both UK and AUS on here so i can get tips from both country's!!

Ok basically i've been working in IT for the last 10yrs and now i'm just board of it. So i decided to have a career change and tried to figure what it is that i want to do. Well i figured i like working outdoors meeting new people and using my hands! Narrowed down careers invovling just that and i managed to narrow it down to Air Con & Refrigeration! Ok now from my thoughts on this career path, i've thought about the future and i came to a conclusion that this is certainly 1 trade skill that can take you anywhere in the world you want to go and there will always be a demand for this! Well i certainly hope so. So 1st question here, is this a good career to enter into? I'm not so bothered about the money more about the satisfaction from the job....

So if i did take the plunge into this career then what courses are recommended? I have looked at doing the C&G 6127 course to begin with as this seems to be an entry level point into getting into the field! Do you recommend this course?

I also plan to move to Aussie in 2009-2010 but that all just depends... If i do make the move then i will probably have to redo an Air Con course there as applying for a Visa in this field wouldn't work as i've not much experience. The way i see it, is at least i'll have an easy time learning it over there as i'd already have done it in the UK and it may make finding a job easier while i redo the course as i could show prospective employers my UK quals.... However thats just the dream and back in reality if i don't go to aus i need to be suitably qualified in the UK....

Hello Mate.

You do not say what part of the UK you are in, because the availability of the courses are limited to only a handful of providers. Unless you do the work by distance learning (you do this at home, on line).

The 6127 (Technical Certificate) is an excelent course but unless you go to a training centre it is only therory based (at a training centre you will do practical).

You need to aim for the 6087 which is an NVQ but to do this you will need to get work in the trade.
    You will not be able to complete the NVQ untill you do your Tech Cert (6127).

Both those course's are level 2 and 3. With a level 3 you will be able to work anywhere in the world.

All the best taz

PS there are other course's that you will need

One is the gas handling course which is being updated at the moment to meet the
    requirements of F gas.

The other is the Pipework and Brazing qualification.

Both of these would be done in an NVQ.

Cheers taz.

Last edited by taz24; 12-11-2008 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added Ps

tox08 Guest

Re: What Course To Do?

Thanks for that! I'm based in Leicester and by looking on the C&G website it only looks like New College Nottingham and South Birmingham College offer it. I wouldn't want to do it via correspondence so i'll probably end up at 1 of the above unless of course i find one in leicester.