Any of you guys ever customized something out of the ordinary?

Here's my 3 ton home A/C customized with a V-200 evap/subcooler fully functional 12v dc fan, with the help of a transformer and rectifier. Has a Liquid line sight glass which I beleive every unit should have. Dropped my Discharge air by 5 deg. This summer I also pulled out the recip and installed a scroll. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to make a TS scroll work J/K. I went with a Copland from the local refrigeration supply. Post your pics of your projects if any. Projects interest me.

well I was going to post a pic but a cant because I don't have 15 posts or more. I'll post when I get to 15.

Re: Any of you guys ever customized something out of the ordinary?

Quote Originally Posted by The Capps' View Post
    well I was going to post a pic but a cant because I don't have 15 posts or more. I'll post when I get to 15.
    Have you tried uploading your pics to an outside hosting site and then posting the link? - like Photobucket?

Hi, I love building stuff too.
    Some time ago I built a water chiller to cool a pc, I then played with it some more to cool a handful of computer chips. Then, my domestic fridge broke so I piped it up to that using a small air heat exchanger in which I passed the chilled glycol/water mix untill I got the parts to fix the domestic.

Picture below is of the first toy I built, most of the electrics come from transport unit. The transformer come from a xarios, contactor come from a v175, the glass relays were from a Petter HY and early Hubbard , rectifier heatsink from a carrier of some description and the hour meter, well it's a TK one, it did read 0000hours when new, now we are upto 2500hours of trouble free use.

Some call me sad, but this project was the best thing ever to teach myself about super heat. Inside the black drum there is 25ltr of glycol/water mix 50/50 a long coil of 3/8 tube with a danfoss TEV screwed to it.

next project will involve a v175 evaporator and a small enclosure full of pc chips, but this time I will use refrigerant as the cooling medium insted of the glycol.

Cant wait to see a picture or two of your toy.

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Have you tried uploading your pics to an outside hosting site and then posting the link? - like Photobucket?
    Yeah I did upload them to photo bucket but it says I am not allowed to add urls until I have posted more than 15 times.

Well Alpha, mine isn't as eleborate as yours, But as soon as I get the picture thing to work I will get it up. I played a little with computer building and have thought of many ways to try to improve CPU cooling. The last thing I was looking at was actually a part from an igloo luch box. This particular lunch box plugged into 12v dc and had a small fan and a large heatsink once i ripped it apart. I'm not real sure what the technology was they were using but it worked very well. The only problem in this case would have been condensation which would be a no no. But then I thought about using a water cooled system and putting the lunchbox parts inline to help remove heat from the water. It hasn't gone much further than thought but I kinda got away from the computer building for a while. I jump from hobby to hobby and so on. But that is really cool what you made and exactly what I'm looking for from this post. Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by chillin out; 13-11-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Yeah I did upload them to photo bucket but it says I am not allowed to add urls until I have posted more than 15 times.
    so flood some posting in on us, would like to see your pics

Ok here it is hopefully My 3ton Home A/C modified with a v-200 evaporator acting as a sub-cooler. I removed expansion valve and distributer, Basically just using the coil and fan to disipate some more heat before getting to the expansion valve on the a coil.

And here is number 15 "Drumrole again!" it didn't work on 15.

LOL buddy, I like your style!

Looks like you need to clean your coil.

Quote Originally Posted by abbsnowman View Post
    Looks like you need to clean your coil.
    Yeah I figured I'd get some Flack About the dirt buildup. I could clean it every day , It's really dusty/windy out here. It works though!

Blog Entries

I played a little with computer building and have thought of many ways to try to improve CPU cooling. The last thing I was looking at was actually a part from an igloo luch box. This particular lunch box plugged into 12v dc and had a small fan and a large heatsink once i ripped it apart. I'm not real sure what the technology was they were using but it worked very well.
    That is probably Peltier element!

Very good The Capps, I love the inventiveness.

I think nike123 is correct on the peltier mention, I sometimes carry a cool box in the van that runs with pelts but you just can't beat a compressor.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the picture. 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15

Before modern high performance refrigerant recovery machines were available we made a 3 phase R22 refrigerant recovery machine from a standard 6hp a/c outdoor unit.
    It would only run for about 10 mins before compressor overheated but would fill a 60 kg cylinder of R22 in that 10 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    That is probably peliter element!
    Thats it exactly, So It was made and tried as a cpu cooler. See things I thought about have already been done. And it even talked about using in in conjenction with water cooling, a better idea than just using the cooler itself directly on the cpu. Cool Thanks for that link.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha View Post
    Very good The Capps, I love the inventiveness.

I think nike123 is correct on the peltier mention, I sometimes carry a cool box in the van that runs with pelts but you just can't beat a compressor.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the picture. 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15
    Yeah sorry I had to do that 7-15 posts, I guess it's better to do it on my thread then someone else's though. I still have the peltier around somewhere maybe I'll get it working with my computer sometime and I'll be able to post the outcome. Thanks for the compliment about the inventiveness.

Ha I just noticed my post count was reduced to 7 I guess. When I tried to quote the refrence of the peltier It would let me do it because it was a link. Oh well I got my picture on