Sanshinman Guest

Replacing a pari of compressors ona Carrier 30HR 121

Hi All I am looking at replacing a pair of recip compressors (both on the same cuircut) on a Carrier 30HR 121 6905 EE.

The unit is a 91 R22 model, I was thinking London Hermetics would be my first choice but was wondering if there ane any alternatives.

Re: Replacing a pari of compressors ona Carrier 30HR 121

The first question is why?

Economically, R22 is a dead duck - playing with this stuff is throwing good money away. No doubt you’ll want to convert them.

However, back to the question. Why not do it yourself?

Providing that there is no damage to the centre journals or the walls of the piston bores, it is possible to completely rebuild these 06E compressors at site if it is more convenient.
    Re-building it is the easy bit, because 06Es were designed to be site-stripped and it’s surprisingly straight-forward it is if you plan the job properly.

The only exception is the main journal, which is a hydraulic job, both to get it out and fit the new one. Everything else can be done at site.

Whatever you do that involves taking compressors apart, they have to come off the bed frame as it can’t be done in place and depending on the wiggle room and location of the condenser water pipes below the compressors, you may wish to get professional lifters or boiler setters in – it ain’t a job for just 2 strong men! There are plenty of firms who offer a replacement-rebuild service and should include this part in their price.

The only viable exit for the compressors is through the front, as the suction pipes are at the rear and brazed directly on to the evaporator.

In my experience, these old 30HRs were sold on the promise that they’d fit through a standard door and that idea seemed to be a challenge to some folk to see just how small a plant-room space they would fit into.

Argus I dissagree with r22 being a dead duck - it's still an effiecient refrigerant for hightemp and heatpump applications. Rebuild is best bet, however I have seen them replaced with copeland recips and york recips replaced with turbocor on r22. And don't forget to replace oil and filters after 24 -48 hours running. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Argus I dissagree with r22 being a dead duck - it's still an effiecient refrigerant for hightemp and heatpump applications.

It may well be an efficient refrigerant, but that’s not the point, nor what I said.

Both the original poster and I are resident in the UK where new R22 and all the other HCFCs are withdrawn from sale from the end of next year (2009).

There are no manufacturers of HCFCs in the EU and it will be illegal to import it or use new stock after December 2009. It will be withdrawn completely from sale from the end of 2014.

It has been illegal to sell new equipment using R22 in the EU and the UK for at least 6 years.

If you have equipment using R22 then you will only be able to buy and use recycled R22. The available stocks of R22 are minimal.

Additionally the cost of the principal raw material (Fluorspar) is rising rapidly due to diminishing stocks.

So, I think it’s reasonable to say that R22 is a dead duck…. at least in this part of the world.