COfreezer Guest

New Construction

Greetings,
    I am new to the forum and perhaps someone can help with a question or point me in the right direction. I would like to get a very general idea what to expect in terms of cost per square foot to build a smaller freezer & cooler warehouse? I am thinking in terms of 20,000 to 40,000 square foot warehouse with a cooler (34F and maybe 25% of the total sq ft) and ammonia freezer (-5F and about 50% of total sq ft) using tilt-up concrete in Colorado. I know there would be countless variables but if anyone could give a wild guess in construction costs it would be a help.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

Re: New Construction

I am sure that with 25000-40000 square feet dimensions you are making big joke with us!

"cost per square foot to build a smaller freezer & cooler warehouse?"

Or maybe I got something (conversions maybe) wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by COfreezer View Post
    Greetings,
    a smaller freezer & cooler warehouse? in terms of 20,000 to 40,000 square foot warehouse with a cooler (34F and maybe 25% of the total sq ft) and ammonia freezer (-5F and about 50% of total sq ft) using tilt-up concrete in Colorado. I know there would be countless variables but if anyone could give a wild guess in construction costs it would be a help.
    Thanks!
    first of all, in the refrigeration business we can not afford to do wild guesses, the outcome is mostly deadly. as you point out already,the huge amount of countless variables gives you a countless amount of prices,and we are not yet talking about the countless amount of quality's.
    if you want a serious opinion,spent some money and "hire" a expert.

good luck M8,

Ice

Dollars per square foot are a common set of values used for estimating construction costs on buildings. Unfortunately, I do not have any info an this at the time.

Sorry I could not help more.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

COfreezer Guest

Nike123,
    Thank you for your response, however I am not sure what your comment was based on. It was certainly not my intention to give the appearance of a joke. Seemingly the articles I read about new cold storage construction involves facilities that are 100,000+ square feet, Perhaps the smaller facilities do not warrant news articles.

Icecube 51
    Years ago when I had more involvement in freezer warehouses around the country I used some very rough figures when I made some early comparisons in my head about building, leasing or buying used. You are right, they are no substitute for serious deliberation.

US Iceman,
    Thank you for your comment. With the price of concrete someone told me figure on about $200 per square foot for a very rough idea on the sort of the standard 30 foot high building with freezer floors and tilt up concrete walls. I thought it sounded a little high but it has been so long since I was involved I thought I would see if anyone thought that was reasonable.

New construction costs are running us now approximately 130 dollars per square foot, I can double check but I believe this is what is used as a budgetary number.

I concur with NH3 wizard, 150 to 160 per sq ft sounda about right. When we were building these on a regular basis we used a sq fooot cost on a daily basis with owners and engineers. A final fixed number might be somewhat different but when selling you should have a good feel for the current pricing. I always found that owners needed a reference point to budget from

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COfreezer View Post
    Nike123,
    Thank you for your response, however I am not sure what your comment was based on. It was certainly not my intention to give the appearance of a joke. Seemingly the articles I read about new cold storage construction involves facilities that are 100,000+ square feet, Perhaps the smaller facilities do not warrant news articles.

As I said, I maybe got something wrong. That was my perception of term "smaller warehouse". Here smaller means below 2000 square feet!
    Our port (Split, Croatia) warehouse is in range of 20000 square feet area and that is really big for us.
    Therefore my comment at your use of term "smaller".

We just completed a 25,000 sq ft addition / expansion of an existing warehouse, for just the building and additional refrigeration equipment it ran 104 dollars a sq ft.

COfreezer Guest

Thank you very much for your responses, that is sort the ballpark figures I was hoping to receive!