Thread: Design Help

Design Help

I am very green to this and have been thrown into something that I have to figure out.

I had a manufacturer build a custom flushing stand for aircraft oil coolers. The fluid being flushed through the hot side will be mineral spirits @ 60GPM with 86Deg temp going into an American Industrial 4 Pass Heat Exchanger, P/N AB1002C6FP. The specs I have for the pump that is pumping this fluid- 7.5HP @ 60GPM/150psi. I need to find a chiller system that will work with the Industrial Heat Exchanger buit into the stand and take the 86Deg Minerial Spirits at the inlet of the heat exchanger and deliver 70Deg going out. I want to use water or a 50/50 mixture to achive this.

When I do the equation, it comes to around 50Tons of cooling which has to be too much. The inlet and outlet of the cold side of the Heat Exchanger is only 3/4" and a 50ton chilling system is 5 times that or more.

I know this may require more information than what I can give in the first port, ask what information you could need to help me and I will provide what I possibly understand or can provide.

Thanks for any help with this.

Eric

Re: Design Help

First thing you need to do is give us the properties off your minerla spirits. Specifically, I'd need the specific heat (at conditions) and the desity of the product at conditions.

Then on the mineral spitrits side, the equation is
    Q (heat load) = (mass flow) x (specific heat) x (Tin-Tout)

ken

The density of mineral spirits is .78 but I have nothing on specific heat. I called our supplier and they said they had never even been asked that questions before. I searched the end of the earth on google and found nothing as well.

Any other way I can get this info?

Thanks for your help!

Eric

I think I found that the Specific Heat is around .48 to.50 at the conditions I will be using it at.

Alos the mass flow will be around 450lbs per minute

You have the answer at hand....

BTUH = (250 x 60) x 0.49 x 16

I don't have a calculator at hand... multiply it out.

Ken

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I had guessed 10 toms before but that was a complete guess! Now you have given the exact calculation... I am getting 9.8 toms.

I really appreciate your help with this!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!

Eric

That was 10 tons not toms... hahahaha

whoops. The mass flow you stated was 450 lbs per minute, so that would make the load:

(450 X 60) X 0.49 X 16 = 211,680Btu/hr or about 17.6 Tons.

The 9.8 Tons is correct if the mass flow is 250 lbs per minute.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Thanks for your help!

Now how do you get roughly 18 tons of chilling go through the 3/4 inlet and outlet of the heat exchanger cooling side efficiently. Does it matter if the exchanger is a 4 pass system?

Generally, you can the number of passes controls the pressure loss in the heat exchanger. 4-passes will have a higher pressure loss than 2-pass for the same flow volume and fluid mixture.

My suggestion is to use water for cooling the mineral spirits since the fluid temperatures are certainly above 32°F. If the chiller is located indoors and above freezing temperature all of the time, why would you need a 50/50 mix of glycol?

Another suggestion is to use this process as a DX evaporator cooling the mineral spirits directly. Refrigerant on one side of the heat exchanger and the mineral spirits being pumped through the other side. This would be simpler than chilling water or glycol and then using the water or glycol to cool the mineral spirits.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

My boo-boo, if your flow is 450 #/minute, use 450, in the calculation. That is what happens when you are trying to type on a lap top in your lap in a semi-dark room.

If you use plain water on the other side, and a 20 df range, your water flow would be 21.6 GPM from 45 to 65 dF or 40 to 60 dF.

If you used water from 40 to 65 dF, your flow would be 17.28 GPM.

For a 3/4" pipe, 14 GPM put you at 8.4 fps line velocity and 70.5 ft of head loss per 100' of pipe. This is a bit on the high side.

Do you know why you are limited to a 3/4" connection?

You may need to look at replacing the HX on the unit if that is what is limiting your connecton. Look at a brazed plate cooler such as manufactured by Flate Plate.

You have a good source of information for this type application in the DFW area. Look for BruceBoldy on this forum.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

The 3/4in line is what is on the heat exchanger that is sized from my system. The actual inlet and outlet on the Heat Exchanger is 3/4. I was told I need 70 Deg process fluid for my application but after looking at the aircraft manuals, it does give me a requirement for low or high temperature. I am using mineral spirits so my only restriction is to keep the fluid low enough to not allow excess vapors to build up. The boiling point of the Type II fluid I am using is 174C and the flash point some place around 40C. I think I just need to size my chilling system to maintain ambient or keep it just below that without it rising.

Eric