Quote Originally Posted by phil Landon View Post
hey there guys, can anyone tell me what type of oil separator is on a NT20-531-301, I have been told it is a float type. the reason I am asking this is that it seems to be jammed open and putting hot discharge gas back into the sump of the scroll comp. Can anyone tell me how the oil return solenoid is cycled or is it powered all the time? When I disconnect the oil return valve for testing the system running pressures come back to within the normal range and the box cools.

The box has been running ok and now is struggling at -20. It failed the P10-2 test. after disconnecting the oil return valve solenoid coil I ran the test again and it passed. It isnt desirable to leave the oil return valve disconnected. also the condenser fan motor is on all the time and the discharge pressure gets as low as 650Kpa, I thought the condenser fan motor cycled or is that only in perishable mode(above 0 deg) the suction pressure seems to be ok for a while then goes rather erratic. The refrigerant level is way up in the top sightglass in the receiver which I think is not normal and stays there.

I am looking at the TX valve at the moment and possibly the oil separator as well,

Any help would be very much appreciated

regards
Hi Phil Landon,

May be I can help you for this, “Can anyone tell me how the oil return solenoid is cycled or is it powered all the time?”

The oil return solenoid valve in this model is normally open which allow oil to return during off cycle. Hence when the cycle is ON, ORV is normally closed by constant power supply.

Regards,
Dave