Angry Supply House Counter Sales

Hello All,

One quick question:

Have any of you folks experienced a counter sales at your local supply house to have no knowledge at all of our business?!?! Where on earth do they find these people...I don't want to sound pompous, but the sales people should have basic knowledge of our biz in my opinion.

Thanks for letting me Vent

Paul Paxson
    PAX Commercial Refrigeration
    www.paxrefrig.com

As per usual it comes down to wages.

We are quite luckey around here both HRP & NRS are very good although i do know on another refrigeration website NRS in Cardiff & are being slagged off somthing rotten.

I would imagine that the counter sales staff do not get paid that much & therefore anyone with a great deal of knowledge actually works in the industry. I normally carry both NRS & HRP books in my van so when i go in i already have the part numbers. It makes my job & their job easier.

Regards

Raymond

its a world wide problem and as raymond put it down so simple: As per usual it comes down to wages.

I did not see any exception in any field.

take auto sales for exampel, you try to ask a technical question and you get " I'll have to came back to you on that one"

and so on.........

why not instead, when you come to buy any part, come prepered,
    get the no. before, check the details on the web, or if you have time, post the question on RE!!.

chemi

Originally posted by chemi-cool
    its a world wide problem and as raymond put it down so simple: As per usual it comes down to wages.

I did not see any exception in any field.

take auto sales for exampel, you try to ask a technical question and you get " I'll have to came back to you on that one"

and so on.........

why not instead, when you come to buy any part, come prepered,
    get the no. before, check the details on the web, or if you have time, post the question on RE!!.

chemi
    This happened to me twice last week...I called the supply house to see if they stocked a certain part. Both times, i was told yes we have it in stock..When I arrive to pick the parts up...I'm told that thewill order it for me!!!! When I asked for the manager..He told me the Counter Salesman who answered the phone has only been there for 2 months?! There is no excuse for this! I traveled roughly 1 1/2 hrs each time to pick these part up! I'm pissed

get a new supplier where you can order by phone, fax or email.

you dont need to drive there, they NEED you mor than you need them.

GET A NEW SUPPLIER!!

chemi

I guess were pretty lucky up here in western Canada. We have 3 major suppliers. All counter sales people are journeyman or equivalent. As for wage, they make what I do. (journeyman on the tools) Thinking about moving over when my joints force me to.

We have used a company called SWM a couple of times & their customer satisfaction rate in my mind = 0.00
    Not only are the sales staff close to ignorant about a customers requirements, when you place an order with them it invariably never arrives as specified.

Although this is of no help at all to you guys in the States, the guy at RPW in Stoke is very good indeed, and if he doesn't know the answer to a question, he'll phone round and find out. A welcome touch is the provision of a little brew room, where you can make yourself a cup of tea or coffee, whilst your order is being prepaired.
    For phone orders Hawco staff are always polite and knowlageable and your order always arrives no matter how small the order is.

If I had to use HRP at Warrington, I'd shoot myself!

So my conclusion is that there are good staff out there, if the service is bad and you can go elsewhere, vote with your feet!
    Karl