Refrigerant mixing

In trying to further my understanding of the cascade systems that I work on, I have a question regarding mixing the refrigerants. The old systems used R500 and R503. Sometimes R290 or pentane was added. Now we are using R508b and R23 in the 2nd/low stage with a variety of other refrigerants added in small quantities. A variety of "normal" refrigerants in the 1st/high stage mostly mixed as a "coktail". Every manufacturer has their own unique mix for both stages. So this gets to my questions.

How does an engineer calculate the final product of a mix? Is it a mathmatical formula that gives exacts or does it start as a formula and then gets "tweaked" in prototyping? How are the consituent(sp?) gases selected for the end product? When adding a small amount of refrigerant in the mix to aid in oil misability how does this effect the final temp? When bleeding gas from the high/discharge side of the compressor are the gases still mixed in the correct proportions or are you fractionating out the mix? What are the gas physics "laws" that I need to understand to work with these mixes?

For those that dont know me. I repair, rebuild, and maintain a variety of different scientific refrigeration systems on a university campus.

Thanks
    Last edited by ultralo1; 14-10-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: langauge filter bypassing

Re: Refrigerant mixing

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...wpost&t=144007

Read this thread, you get to watch one be designed, parted out, assembled and charged.

All open for all to see and explained in detail, amazing auto cascade -141c! made from a 5000btu/h AC

Holy Crap Batman!!!!!

I made it to page 6 before my brain fried.

Thank you very much. That man is amazing. I will have days of reading material.

PS. I have had alot of fun in Abbotsford.

Oh ya? Cool, The air show is still held there!

Ya he is amazing, it so many ways, amazing skill, amazing kindenes, amazing generousity! Definetaly read through it a few times and it all makes sense after it soaks in lol.

I read the entire thread today. It was definately mindblowing. I will have to reread it and a few others on that site. I plan on getting in touch with him on monday. There seems to be alot of good people on that site with alot of knowledge.

It is great to find a place where the physics of what is happening are discussed. I understand the mechanical side, I am now trying to get to the "heart" of the systems.

I never made it to the air show. One of my customers facilities was about a mile south of the half way point of the east to west run way. I spent one week a month for 2 years out there. Beautiful place and great people out in BC.
    Thanks again

hehe no prob and glad you like the site, we often get into the "deep" physics there.

Guess the only solution is for ya to come back for the show!