crazy install or did people use to do this?

I went to a daikin system that trips the c/b on hot days.
    It has two outdoor units (RY50GV1A), but only one controller.
    I poked my head in the roof space, but couldn't get to the unit (low ceiling, sheet metal roof, roofspace full of ducts. Anyway, the pipes from both outdoors are just welded together and go into one big indoor.
    Never seen that before.
    Also I have no idea who wired the power to the indoor, it's a real mess as they just used 2+E, meaning that the signal wire is the earth cable.
    Also one unit is 2.5mm interconnect, the other unit has 1mm interconnect

And as far as I can tell, they used only the active from one outdoor, and then the neutral from the other, to power the indoor.

Also the mains is only 2.5mm cable from a 20A c/b. So it's not surprising it trips when each unit is rated at 11.8A each, and it's powering a bigger indoor/fan unit anyway.

I always thought the the cowboys couldn't get daikins here, as they are not sold at retailers, only direct. But this is one of the worst jobs I've ever seen.

I'm leaving it as it is, and just getting a sparkie to upgrade the c/b to 32a, and the wiring to 4mm.
    Last edited by paul_h; 12-11-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Re: crazy install or did people use to do this?

doesn't surprise me, some of the tradies who have come through my company would be capable of doing dodgy **** like that

he he guys guys i had been contacted to repair some units in dublin so i left from malta and went there and found a certified installation from a contractor stating that it was done up to standards and eng specifications . i found b..l s...h . the indoors taking supply from different source than the out door, drain pipes with no slope. small cables in diameter etc. THIS MEANS THAT THEY ARE ABUSING JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE CERTIFICATIONS BUT EXCEPT FROM THAT MOST OF THEM ARE CRAP...

Hi rude,

Do you have some pictures to share with us about this wonderful installation?
    Could be an example how to not install an AC.

I don't know what the customer is like Paul but I'll bet he got a dammed good price! Probably what he had been pushing for in the first place: ye gets what ye pays for!

As for cowboys not being able to get their hands' on Daikin kit,... well, I'll make another bet: it fell off the back of a lorry

They thought there was just one controller, but two indoor and outdoor units, and were suprised to hear when I told them there's only one indoor unit.
    I'm sure they didn't get it that cheap, the labour and wiring to make it work (somehow) would have cost them.

Sucks to be them, one unit could be getting poor oil return, and if a compressor burns out on one unit, the other sytem would be contanimated, likewise a leak on one unit...

'Fell of the back of a truck' a possibility, but you'd have to be lucky to get the right size indoor, as well as the two condensing units that would work with that indoor (comms wise) that are 50% each of the capacity of that indoor.

I have seen Alot in my area from a paticular company and for this reason i wont go to a job after them too messy and i have already spent too much time fixing others mistakes

TLA Guest

gday, i once saw an install ( it was certified by a certain company) that had cut roof trusses to be able to get the plenums on the unit, these trusses wernt braced, just *flapping* in the roof. we didnt set foot up there to service the system.
    Have you ever seen an a/c condensor put in back to front? i.e fan pointing at wall, lol its a sight to see.
    cheers

These things just make me angry . Arctik have made an attempt at licences but nobody is supporting it or policing it , so the cowboys continue to run amok .
    Precharged high wall split units are not helping the industry AT ALL !!
    60% of the time it works everytime.

Arctick are policing me, I was audited straight away, they policed the last service company I worked for too. They crack down on anyone with a refrigerant purchasing licence.

They are just not policing installers as they normally aren't refrigeration tradespeople, just sparkies with a handling licence only.
    So you have a point, no precharged systems mean everyone installing will need to purchase refrigerant, and arctick will be after them all.

They are just not policing installers
    An extremely important point you made there Paul!

Here in France independant companies, appointed by an accreditation council (if you will), are now charging up to 3500 euros for an obligatory certificate to allow you to buy refrigerant. I won't bother to discribe the hoops you have to jump through on top of the fee as you can probably imagine.

My big gripe is, as you said, no one is policing the installers. So it seems our job as the honest and legitimate technicians (self employed especially) has become more difficult and costly while the cowboys are actually being given an elbow-up due to our prices being forced up by increased charges!

If all This is for real then why can just any Tom, D1ck or Harry buy a precharged unit that is going to have to be installed in a manner that will required a manipulation of refrigerant while I (and it looks like you) have to show proof of qualifications, equipment ownership, good standards of practice..., to name but a few, before we can touch anything containing refrigerant.

I'm starting to get a little bit peeved and not to mention paranoid. Ie:

strive to do things right and we will *punish you if we can find a way!

or, do whatever pleases you. And as long as you're making a buck the economy is rolling.

*punish-charge
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 15-11-2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Cleared the censor

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    So you have a point, no precharged systems mean everyone installing will need to purchase refrigerant, and arctick will be after them all.
    exactly. i dont see whats so hard about just pre charging the units with nitrogen, then a qualified company can go charge them up once installed.
    Last edited by rude; 15-11-2008 at 12:45 AM.

Please see my last posts :

My ex-boss who has 15 yrs experience is still buying and installing Daikin units poorly.

Some how he has a Blue Skills Card ?

He has a handling certificate and is still discharging R22 to the air.

He even made a 20amp fuse out of a bit of copper pipe last month.

Your NEVER police this trade.

Why ? - Because buyers haven't get the sense to see past a price.

My last employer looks good on paper.

Pre-Charged units are here to stay.
    Chinese imports are here to stay.
    Cowboy installers are here to stay.

Your only as good as YOUR own last job.

Heres to all the GOOD and Professional engineers out there...
    Duc, sequere, aut de via decede - Lead, follow, or get out of the way !

that unit that you are talking about is a 10kw unit and the indoor will be an fdy90 indoor.
    Make sure that youo don't run a 32a supply to it as the cables in the unit won't be protected.
    This unit needs 2 x 20amp supplies as the outdoor units are staged in with a timer and the indoor has 2 pcb's but the fan relays are in parralell, i have worked on heaps of these.
    there will be a fuse in the outdoor on the interconnecting cables to the indoor if you take off the top cover..