ruben feria Guest

Cold liquid line

I have a customer with a very cold liquid line. About a month ago I recovered the refrigerant, removed the orifice from the liquid line that goes into the evaporator coil box. I cleaned it out, did not see any blockage in the orifice, made sure that I installed in the right direction, pulled vacume and recharged the system. Before I had a 50 psi suction and a 190 head. After the repairs I had a 75 suction and a 240 head.
    The customer call me back today and states the the liquid line going into the evap is very cold and sweaty. And not cool enough in the house.

Re: Cold liquid line

Despite my strong psychic powers, I can not get the wibes of what system we are looking at here.
    (Must be all the interference across the Atlantic)

Sorry...

With or without psychic powers, some thing is blocked between the condenser outlet and the TEV outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by ruben feria View Post
    I have a customer with a very cold liquid line. About a month ago I recovered the refrigerant, removed the orifice from the liquid line that goes into the evaporator coil box. I cleaned it out, did not see any blockage in the orifice, made sure that I installed in the right direction, pulled vacume and recharged the system. Before I had a 50 psi suction and a 190 head. After the repairs I had a 75 suction and a 240 head.
    The customer call me back today and states the the liquid line going into the evap is very cold and sweaty. And not cool enough in the house.

Did you check / replace the filter dryer?

If the liquid line is cold ans sweaty then the dryer could be blocked.

taz

Hi Ruben
    As said above,if there were no blockage in the liquid line (filter,hand valve,twisted pipe...etc).I think you have a leak .When the charged refrigerant gradually leaked ,it reached point that the suction act of the compressor would affects on the liquid line in some critical cases.I notice in three cases: in charging 35 tons water cooled system ,the liquid line became colder when the charge reach 1l4 ,but became warmer when the charging continue beyond this point.This happened three times in three 35 ton system had exactly the same design.It,outwardly, contradicts with the known PH relationship.
    Repairing the leak may solve the problem.

Since the OP says it isn't cool enough in the house, let's assume this is an A/C system.

Let's also assume fixed orifice. Removing and cleaning the orifice accomplishes nothing because the orifice is downstream from the liquid line. The restriction is upstream.

Or perhaps we are talking about the line between the orifice and the coil, which is not the liquid line and it is supposed to be cold. Perhaps you could clarify.
    Last edited by Gary; 28-09-2008 at 08:03 PM.

im sure filter is partially black

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    Despite my strong psychic powers, I can not get the wibes of what system we are looking at here.
    (Must be all the interference across the Atlantic)

Sorry...
    I'm in Florida and about 3 hours from Jacksonville, and my psychic powers wont reach either it must be blocked

ruben feria Guest

Sorry about the lack of info. There is no liquid drier. it is a straight cool ac residential unit. 5 ton ac. I leak checked it originally and I leak checked it again recently. no leaks. By the time I got my superheat to about 6 degrees I ended up with a 325 head. I left it alone and I told the owner that I will have to remove the evaporator and inspect for dirt clogging up the coil. By the way it was about 90 degrees ambient outside temp with a 325 head. R 22 system. I know its way to high.

Why would you blame the evaporator? If there is a restriction, it is upstream from the cold line. Where the line turns cold is where the restriction is.

BTW, "cold" doesn't tell us anything. Don't you have thermometers?
    Last edited by Gary; 30-09-2008 at 02:41 PM.

less see i think your line temp should be and correct me if im wrong please at 90 amb r-22 system approx. 105 deg. I would say if all coils are clean u have a massive restiction or the unit is grossly overcharge (6deg super heat)

For a proper evaluation, we need the following information:

Low side:

Evap air in temp
    Evap air out temp
    Saturated suction temp (SST) converted from pressure
    Suction line temp at evap outlet

High side:

Cond air in temp
    Cond air out temp
    Saturated condensing temp (SCT) converted from pressure
    Liquid line temp at receiver outlet

. Before I had a 50 psi suction and a 190 head. After the repairs I had a 75 suction and a 240 head.

dont listen to much to the client regards the cold liquid line you need to evaluate it yourself.check the h.p controll i.e fan speed controller or the condition of the coil ect.

ticotech Guest

how u did the repair? did u pumped down the system and with the same amount of ***** the pressure changed to 75low -240 head or u added some. be honest

fit a drier in the liquid line a 163 should do it

just check the condeser fans controler, I had lots of these kind of problems this winter