Thread: Old R22

Old R22

How will the regs affect old R22? In 2010 can be send back reclaimed and get the same weight back as 'new'?

Multisync
    london

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Old R22

I don't know about 'get the same weight back'.

You will be able to buy recycled R22 but I bet it costs more than the old stuff that you take back.

I see that R22 has been repriced by +15% today.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Multisync, stock pile it, and flog it off for cash down the eastend!

can you buy recycled R22 yet?anyone brought any?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Multisync, stock pile it, and flog it off for cash down the eastend!

Almost certainly beaten to it by some Essex boy already.

Multisync
    London

Quote Originally Posted by multisync View Post
    How will the regs affect old R22? In 2010 can be send back reclaimed and get the same weight back as 'new'?

Multisync
    london

Even if it is available, there’s no point buying used R22 while the new stock is still available. It certainly won’t be cheaper.

It has not been possible to buy new equipment with R22 in it for several years now and the law banning the use of R22 after the start of 2010 has been in place since 2000.

After January 1, 2010, it will be illegal to use new HCFC and also to stockpile it either at your premises or your client’s. You risk a fine and a criminal record if you are caught.

‘Reclaimed’ R22 will be available after 2010 – but I would recommend that you question what is meant by ‘reclaimed’. You don’t want to introduce contaminants from another system because the gas has not been cleaned adequately. Major refrigerant suppliers will remove impurities and clean it to an international standard.

It’s probable that the cost will increase significantly as stocks dwindle. Importation of HCFCs from other countries outside the EU is not an option.

I got some information off a union site here in France urging us to advise customers to start thinking about converting from R22 sooner rather than later. Their arguement was that currently in France we use 1500 - 2000 tons of R22 per year, but we only recycle about 600 tons. So there will be a short fall.

Now, if they say we can no longer use virgin R22 to recharge (and that that we cannot stock pile it either) does this imply that in 2010 we should hand-in any we still have in the van?

I can't say what the domestic laws are in France, but the ODS Regulation (2037 / 2000), is specific that virgin (i.e. new) HCFCs cannot be ‘used’ – that is used for service work. That’s what the letter of the regulation says, but some countries can and do add extra provisions. It’s called ‘gold plating’.

However I would expect that using up small amounts of existing stock in the back of your van may be considered in a different light to the deliberate stock piling of large quantities for future use which is clearly illegal.

Last edited by Argus; 26-09-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Is there any mineral oil compatible R22 "drop in" replacement that is tried and tested in real world situations? I've heard of a few, but they aren't used here as R22 is going to be available for some time here, so I've never seen how good replacements are.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Even if it is available, there’s no point buying used R22 while the new stock is still available. It certainly won’t be cheaper.

It has not been possible to buy new equipment with R22 in it for several years now and the law banning the use of R22 after the start of 2010 has been in place since 2000.

After January 1, 2010, it will be illegal to use new HCFC and also to stockpile it either at your premises or your client’s. You risk a fine and a criminal record if you are caught.

‘Reclaimed’ R22 will be available after 2010 – but I would recommend that you question what is meant by ‘reclaimed’. You don’t want to introduce contaminants from another system because the gas has not been cleaned adequately. Major refrigerant suppliers will remove impurities and clean it to an international standard.

As I say reclaimed and sent back as new by the supplier(s)

We have one client with around 400kg of R22 in 150 bits of kit and they want to have a phased replacement over 4 years rather than a wholesale swap. Therefore as kit is removed their R22 is available for reclaim etc.
    Our customer wants to know if it's sent back for cleaning does he have the right to buy 'his' back -or is he sending it back for the benefit of those who can't be bothered? (considering the expected shortfall)

Multisync
    London