Smile city and guilds 6127 student looking for tips to break into the industry

hello there
    I am taking the city and guilds 6127 and iam going to be looking to start appling for jobs around june 09 as soon as my course finishes and then do my nvq level 2 , i want to start of on install and work my way up into serving in the next five or so years , has any one got any tips on how to go about doing this. I am also going to do my safe handling of refrigerants .

cheers andy

city and guilds 6127 student looking to get into the industry

hi there

I am doing my 6127 at dudley college and will have my safe handling cert by early jan , I was wondering the best way to get into the industry , I am not to bothered about how much I will earn when I start off , iI have worked in construction and plumbing for years but at 32 i am worried I might be a bit old , has any one got any advice for me?.

Re: city and guilds 6127 student looking to get into the industry

You could not have picked a worst time in years..No advice just "good luck"

Multisync
    London

I disagree sorry Multisync there are companies ot there crying out for engineers. Lots of firms in Manchester are crying out for engineers.
    Start off by sending your CV to as many firms as you can and hopefully something will come of it.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by andy32 View Post
    hi there

I am doing my 6127 at dudley college and will have my safe handling cert by early jan , I was wondering the best way to get into the industry , I am not to bothered about how much I will earn when I start off , iI have worked in construction and plumbing for years but at 32 i am worried I might be a bit old , has any one got any advice for me?.

Get your name about.
    Ask the tutors for a list of companies.
    Phone, write and personaly visit companies untill omeone offers you somthing.
    Offer to work free to get the experience, it will get you through the door.

Do not sit back and wait, if you anoy the companies enough one will give you a job just to shut you up.

Do not accept no as the answer, try again a month later.

taz.

Andy, e-mail me your CV burnettbarrows@btconnect.com, I will be looking for a Maintenance Engineer after Xmas. speak to Denis Mason a tutor at the college, he kows my company, in fact we installed the suite of coldrooms in the workshop.
    Regards
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterburnett View Post
    Andy, e-mail me your CV burnettbarrows@btconnect.com, I will be looking for a Maintenance Engineer after Xmas. speak to Denis Mason a tutor at the college, he kows my company, in fact we installed the suite of coldrooms in the workshop.
    Regards
    Pete
    I missed the 'n' out in 'knows' just a typo, sorry!

Re: city and guilds 6127 student looking for tips to break into the industry

see my reply in your other thread

Quote Originally Posted by marc5180 View Post
    I disagree sorry Multisync there are companies ot there crying out for engineers. Lots of firms in Manchester are crying out for engineers.
    Start off by sending your CV to as many firms as you can and hopefully something will come of it.
    totally agree mark , we have just taken 2 lads on in the last 2 months and were still pulled out.And as you have said im always getting phone calls from agency asking if im lookin for work .Best thing might be to contact some of the agencies on this site,
    good luck
    alan

Err he's not an 'engineer' he's a school lever.. or is that the standard you guy's work too?

Multisync
    london

I am in the exact same position as Andy. Studying the same course and wanting to work ASAP for free i do not want wages if thats what it takes!

I have been trying for two years now to get my foot into the industry it is so difficult it’s frustrating. I need to know what’s stopping them; i have also pitched the 'work for FREE' approach, even that does not work.

I'm from Preston and i have applied and applied to everyone in Preston and the North West even been to see a few directors face-to-face, they seem to be amazed by the determination but can’t commit themselves to give me a job!

What is the best pitch to potential employers whilst studying this course? How do i get myself into the industry?

I so want some practical experience but no company can give me some. I don’t want to apply at companies in summer 2009 once the course has finished and find i am getting rejected due to lack of practical experience, that’s why i want some now and maybe employed full time now.

What is the best path for me?

Question Re: city and guilds 6127 student looking for tips to break into the industry

Could some experianced engineers recomend some companies or recruitment agencies or just advice to just4u146@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nadeem146 View Post
    I am in the exact same position as Andy. Studying the same course and wanting to work ASAP for free i do not want wages if thats what it takes!

I have been trying for two years now to get my foot into the industry it is so difficult it’s frustrating. I need to know what’s stopping them; i have also pitched the 'work for FREE' approach, even that does not work.

I'm from Preston and i have applied and applied to everyone in Preston and the North West even been to see a few directors face-to-face, they seem to be amazed by the determination but can’t commit themselves to give me a job!

What is the best pitch to potential employers whilst studying this course? How do i get myself into the industry?

I so want some practical experience but no company can give me some. I don’t want to apply at companies in summer 2009 once the course has finished and find i am getting rejected due to lack of practical experience, that’s why i want some now and maybe employed full time now.

What is the best path for me?
    I have seen hundreds of students in your position and my advice to the other lad applies to you.

Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
    Get your name about.
    Ask the tutors for a list of companies.
    Phone, write and personaly visit companies untill omeone offers you somthing.
    Offer to work free to get the experience, it will get you through the door.

Do not sit back and wait, if you anoy the companies enough one will give you a job just to shut you up.

Do not accept no as the answer, try again a month later.

taz.
    You have done the ground work so now you need to go back and talk to them in person again.
    Explain you are prepared to work for the experience alone and somthing will come from it.

Cheers taz.

thank for our reply,

when is the best time to apply or knock on a compaies door?

i have heard jan - march is like a dead season for RAC ?!

which is the best month to really go out there pester these companies?

what is the salary for someone like me just finished the 6127 and 2078?

thanks