Thread: scuba

scuba

This is the first time that i have written into this forum,although i have enjoyed reading and learning from all the other members.
    I am an operator in a nh3 refrigerated warehouse with the responsibility of preparing all of our s.o.p.s.
    myself and my partner feel that we have covered all the requirments for a proper and working set of sops.
    our safety director disagrees,could we get some suggestions as to what is required and expected from a proper sop.
    any help would be greatly appreciated

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: scuba

Can you provide us with some of your SOPs to help us add to or discuss them.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

hello, this is the first time i have added my input to a user group of any type but here it goes. in the refrigerated warehouse that i work at the most basic sop is if you open the ammonia system for any reason( ie. bleeding oil , valve packing repair or compressor overhaul) you ALWAYS wear a respirator ( fullface-air purifying) and at a minimum leather gloves.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Hi Chilldis and welcome to the forum and as you can see it hasn't bitten back yet.

Hopefully you will enjoy yourself here and we hope that the information can flow in both directions.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

thanks Brian, this looks like it could be very educational and fun too

just another thought on the subject of SOP's check out Industrial Consultants at "ammonia.com" they offer alot of good training and compliance info

scuba,
    Welcome to the forum! An SOP should be able to walk the end user through the given task from start to finish! The best way to write an SOP is to actually perform the task at least once with your partner! It should also include the end users responsibilities, your supervisors responsibilities and everyone up the line!

It should also include any applicable environmental regulations, Applicable MSDS sheets that should be consulted and required documentation i.e... line break permit, confined space permit. Hope this helps! I am sure that i left something out, but its a start!

Thanks for all the replies.We have startup and shut down sops for all of our equipment that meet all of the requirments and work very well,but we were told we also need emergency shut down procedures and procedures for operations that deviate from normal operating conditions. How do you cover all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.We have startup and shut down sops for all of our equipment that meet all of the requirments and work very well,but we were told we also need emergency shut down procedures and procedures for operations that deviate from normal operating conditions. How do you cover all of that?

You also need normal start-up procedures & operating limits (min & max pressures, temperatures, etc).

This process is similar to doing a HAZOP anaylsis. You have to think of every minor detail that must be performed during the procedures and then document them in the SOP.

Then....

You have to train the operators in how to use the SOP's.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

If you go to the EPA's website, it explains it a little better, tells you what is required.

Does you facility have a HAZMAT team? If so you should include the chain of command that includes your incident commander via a call list! Even if you dont, you should have a call list with the appropriate authorities! You need to define what your safety officer considers abnormal conditions!

My plants SOP includes an emergency evacuation plan with a primary and alternative assembly areas to account
    for personnel! We even have an SOP for tornado risk, that defines the point to shelter in place.

Obviously if your have a bad ammonia leak on the roof you would want to turn off any air handling units or supply fans!

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    we were told we also need emergency shut down procedures and procedures for operations that deviate from normal operating conditions. How do you cover all of that?
    I try and write SOP's so that you in theory you could walk in and operate one of my compressors. So I try to think of abnormal operations i.e. hi-Amp, suction pressure or discharge alarm, what may cause it, what to do, what to check. These all deviate from normal conditions. So if you won the lottery, retired and I was in your compressor room day 1 and saw a warning alarm what/where do I start checking?!