EPA 608 Cert. Evacuation and Confusion on EPA Exam

Has anyone taken this EPA lately or anyone know the evacuation table?

Here is my dilema, I have the Mainstream, epatest dot com 2008 study material and interactive CD.

I am doing almost 100% correct on over 400 questions for the Core and Type I II and III.

There is a table in there for Evacuation Requirements that the EPA changed in 2004. The Very High Pressure and Low Pressure Refrigerants has not changed.

Its the High and Medium. The High is Formerly Higher and the Medium is formerly High.

The Examine floating around has not been updated since 1999 according to the representative I spoke to in Washington.

So what it comes down to I have memorized the current table but the exam will be targeted for the table before 2004 change.

My Question is, the current High category is R-410A, R-22, R-401B, R-402A/B, R-404A, R-407A/B/C, R-408, R-409, R-411A/B, R-502 and R-507A.

These would have an evacuation of 0 Inches of Mercury before or after Nov. 15 1993 by the current table. If over 200 Pounds of Refrigerant then its 4 inches before Nov 15 1993 and 10 inches after Nov 15 1993.

The Medium Pressure Refrigerants formerly ( High-Pressure), R-12, R-114, R-124, R-134A, R-401C, R-406A and R-500 would still have the same Evacuation Requirements on the test from what I read? Under 200 Pounds of Ref. and before Nov 15 1993 its 4 inches of Mercury and if Over 200 pounds its 10 inches of Mercury. After Nov 15 1993 its 4 inches of Mercury if under 200 pounds and 15 inches of Mercury if over 200 pounds.

From what my understanding is all the Refrigerants I listed the Current High catergory (Formerly Higher Pressure), would all those refrigerants go by the Medium ( Formerly High) Category EXCEPT for R-22 correct?

R-22 would have the exact same requirements before 2004 and now.

All the other refrigerants I listed with R-22 would fall under the Medium (Formerly High) Category.

Anyone know about this that can help me out?

I see some other tables in other study guides that say R-22 category and the other category is all others so I am assuming I am correct that R-22 has the same requirements as today's current table and all other refrigerant will fall under Medium (formerly High) Category. Except for Very high and Low those have remained unchanged as far as I know.

I am hoping someone here knows the answer to this because neither my Proctor who I will be taking the exam with, EPA department in Washington nor Mainstream really know the answer to this.

There are at least 5 questions on the EPA test that will refer to this table and I can see now I will get them wrong unless I straighten this out.

Thanks for taking the time to read my Post. Hope you can help?

Re: EPA 608 Cert. Evacuation and Confusion on EPA Exam

Hy hvactech
    i have this label of evacuation requirement but i have to check on my doc's...i worked for Carnival Cruise Line and i study that booklet 5 yrs ago...do you need just the evac label requirement before and after 15 nov?
    Mihai

I need the Evacuation Requirements for Refrigerant Before and After Nov 15 1993. For Very High, Higher, High and Low. After 2004 they changed the category. I believe R-22 was the only one in the Higher category and the rest were in the High Category. Since 2004 the chart has changed to Very High, High, Medium and Low.

I want the chart prior to 2004. But I would like to see a list of refrigerants in that chart. I found a chart in the ESRO manual but it just has R-22 and others and no listof Refrigerants.

If you can dig one up that would be great. Thanks

I think I may have misundertood a few things. I read over the material again and it looks like there were only three classification of refrigerant that the EPA test may refer to because there are older EPA tests floating around. Very high pressure, High Pressure and Low Pressure. SO what happened later is the EPA divided out High prssure to Higher and High pressure. The just changed Higher to High and High to Medium. So I am loking for a chart that would have Very High Pressure, High Pressure and Low pressure. If you see one that divides out the High pressure I won't need that because that will look exactly the same as my current chart. Sorry I misunderstood the EPA confusion of Required Evacuation levels on the EPA exam. That crazy to have EPA exams outdated like that still floating around. You know you have an older one if you see the daily fines of $27,000 instead of the new fine of $32,500. That is a definite clue you have an outdated exam. But I iwll have to deal with that oh well.