sam e Guest

Refrigeration sculpture

Hello All,

I am looking to make a sculpture out of bent copper tubing and circulate refrigerant through it to create condensation/ frost. I am not sure where to begin...

I live in new york city and am aware that there are many refrigeration technicians here. Before I start making phone calls, I would like to consult this forum in regards to costs for a condensing unit and general feasibility.

The copper tubing would probably be 1/8 in inside diameter and be about 7 feet in length.

Please tell me if this is impossible or extremely expensive.

Best,

Sam

Re: Refrigeration sculpture

Yes and no...

Assuming that you want an "even appearance" of your sculpture, it will require a lot of thought during the design.

First of all, I would personally scrap the idea of circulating refrigerant in it. (Too critical to get the heat absorption right and the pressure will be high). Instead, use a chiller to cool a water/glycol mixture and circulate this in your sculpture.

Also remember that whatever media you send around in your sculpture, the further it travels the warmer it will get. Thus, design it so that you get several short loops instead of one long one.

1/8" sounds a bit on the small side. The smaller the bore is the less capacity you will get through it (the condensation will stop after a shorter distance). Up it to at least 1/2" if you can.

Good luck.

Re: Refrigeration sculpture

I know of a Gentleman who has done this. He worked for a competing Contractor. Unfortunatley I believe he patented it.
    This is of no concern if it is not for a commercial pupose.