artie fufkin Guest

Career Change Advice. R&D to Installation.

Hi.

I have been in the air con industry for 15 years. Most of my tme has been spent working on the shop-floor, but i also have experience of site work and trouble-shooting (more fridge cycle than electrical).

For the past couple of years i have been working in R & D. This is mainly duty testing, and ironing out problems with new units. I have also been responsible for building new products and assisting in making any changes.

I have mainly worked on a range of units from cellar coolers up to telecomms/data room units.

I feel that i may need a change of career in the next couple of years and need some advice.

I am thinking of mnoving into the installation side of the trade but have a weak knowledge of electrics. I have a C & G in Air Con & Refrigeration (going back 12 years or so) and have the other necessary skills which would be needed for install work. I would describe myself as somebody who may be slower than most, BUT, knows what procedures and steps are needed to get a job done to a certain standard.

Can anybody suggets where i should start with regards to getting some electrical qualifications ? Are there any reputable companies in my area (south-east) who may take me on ?

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

artie fufkin.

Re: Career Change Advice. R&D to Installation.

when i looked into doing an electrical course that could work with the refrigeration side i was told no such thing existed. however a few lads i've worked with since have completed an electrical installation course. from what i gather it is more on the house electrical side but it might be worth looking into at a local college or even gettin in touch with open university courses. good luck hope you find something relative.