In the past three weeks I have had 5 beer coolers (R134A)three under counter freezers (R404 134A Containing Blend) 1 2 Door Up right Freeer (404A) four chest freezers, this is about average over the last three years. The capillaries are plugged with a Grey ash like substance that has the texture of duct seal/creasote and is only in systems containing R134A, the compressors were not burned and the oil still maintained its lubricity. One system had an inoperable compressor (RLA was 29 and and compressor amps was 28A peak during start then O/L opened) The systems have an oder like fish oil more pronounced in the 404 systems, I opened one running compressor and noticed some winding abnormalities, compressor was an AEA4440YXA with ser number inticating OCT 06 as date of manafacture.
The big question... Is there a Problem with R134A and capillaary systems? Is this problem related to the original problem with R134A that percluded its use as a refrigerant in the 1950's?
My solution to this problem has been the use of R401A in the bottle coolers and other high Temp systems and the use of R507 in Freezers with capillary systems.
Has anyone else seen this issue??