Urgent flashing indoor lights please anyone

Hi everyone, sorry I haven’t posted for a while.

Please can anyone help me with what seems to be an intermittent problem with a small Haier split. I have been out to it twice – customer says it runs for ’10 minutes’ and then goes off with flashing lights (timer, operation, power). I personally have not seen this. My first visit, the unit ran for 90 minutes in my presence, good as gold. I removed the sound deadening material from the rooftop mounted compressor (it is over 40 degrees here in Cyprus). in case it was a comp overheat problem

Ran Ok for about 4 days, then same problem. I went today and swapped the control PCB from another less important unit on site. Again, I ran both units for 45 minutes and nothing amiss on either of them. Tonight I have the irate customer back telling me it is just the same… I have to go again in the morning. As I said I haven’t seen any of this, but does the flashing lights thing mean anything to anyone hopefully please ? Or any suggestions beyond what I have done ? Many thanks guys

Trevor

Re: Urgent flashing indoor lights please anyone

I have seen in the past that flashing lights are when outdoor unit sensor is faulty.

have you checked it?

Not sure about the lights but i had a simmilar problem last year. It was the indoor coil temp sensor (anti ice) which had gone out of calibration. I moved it away from coil to get it going. Should have replaced it.

Hi Trevor,
    If its a Cassette unit, count the flashes this will tell you the fault.The most common are:
    1 Flash Indoor Ambient Sensor
    2 Flashes Indoor Coil sensor
    3 Flashes Outdoor Ambient Sensor
    4 Flashes Outdoor Coil Sensor.
    6 Flashes HI/Low pressure
    9 Flashes Coms problem
    10 Flashes Drainage problem.
    Hope these help.
    Jay

Valuable and constructive replies... thank you.
    I have to sleep now, it is 22.00 my time and I am up again at 05-30. I will check again before I leave in the morning. Any more input very welcome, I have to solve this on my next visit... not helping my reputation !!

Trevor

puger Guest

look here if you find your model
    haier.txt

Thanks to all who gave input. I like to try and give a final outcome so that everyone can perhaps learn. Here is what I found.

First, the outdoor has no sensors, LP/HP or anything, just straightforward on/off/cooling/heating. So ruled that out as a possible problem.

After much testing of the indoor it seems (and I hope i am not speaking too soon here) that the evap motor had a problem. I have to say it never once indicated that to me as an observing engineer, but finally after more than 2 hours of attacking the problem today, the fan suddenly started to behave erratically. Now I don't profess to totally understand the logic of these motors - usually two sets of plugs on to the PCB, and my thinking is one for power and one for signal that all is OK, perhaps thru a thermistor in the windings ? Maybe someone can say ?

Anyway when I pulled the motor from it's usual hidden cradle, there were clear signs of discolouration (burn) on the (white painted) motor exterior. No smell from the windings however, completely free running and the motor was not hot despite having run a good 30 minutes... and yet it had been erratic minutes before.

At this stage I have (with the benefit of a donor sytem) already changed the PCB, the receiver board, and the sensors, so I am happy that the capacitor on the PCB for the indoor fan is OK.

So it would seem that the fan motor was to blame all along even though it gave no indication.... One to remember perhaps ?

regards, Trevor

did you check the motor capacitor ??

J.

No, I didn't check the capacitor as such.. but the cap is part of the PCB, and that had been changed for a known good one. Agreed there is always a possibility that the new board developed a fault (ie failing fan motor capacitor), but the symptoms of light flashing were exactly the same as with the original board. Incidentally, the light flashing was just very simplistic not having any sequence as such.

Thanks,

Trevor

The two plugs on the motor are:
    1 for the fan speeds (Windings)
    2 for the cut out (Klixon) cables are normally coulered white, brown and black.

try heronhill in wellington somerset they are very helpfull if you need advice on haier ask for nigel

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but it is just for information to us all.

I have only just got around to ordering the fan motor from my local agent in Cyprus. (Very seasonal here). The astounding thing was, the supplier said it is still under the 5 years warranty and will be replaced FOC.

For a relatively cheap chinese unit 5 years warranty is damned good in my book.

Trevor