netingit Guest

Question John Lewis, fridge warm but freeze ok

Hi guy,

Just came across this superb webstie and wondered if you could give me any advice on this one.

I've had the John lewis fridge model jffs2002 for about three years now, about a few weeks back i started noticing that the fridge part was quite warm with a warning light flashing showing temp error.

I've had a engineer take a look at it, who has told me that it was a common problem with frost free fridge/freezer. He advised to turn it off for 24h so the fridge could defrost due to ice blocking the pipe's that the cool air flows through. Followed his advice, the Fridge worked prefect for 1 day then reverted back to the same problem. Got him to take a look at it once again, he advised me once again to leave it off for a few days. He did say that he could speed up process of the defrost if only he could gain access to the internal parts of the fridge (will get back to that in a sec).

once again followed his advice, but left the fridge off for 1 whole week! turned it back on, it worked prefectly for 3 days, but now has gone back to it old ways (fridge warm with warning light on).

Not sure what to do should i call the engineer back to take a look once again?

Also this is the first fridge which i've come across to have a back which is completely sealed, in the manual it shows how to clean the condenser on the back, but there's no condenser to be seen, the back of the fridge is completely sealed by a white piece of cardboard. is this normal?

Any help will be very appreciated

Re: John Lewis, fridge warm but freeze ok

Quote Originally Posted by netingit View Post
    Hi guy,

Just came across this superb webstie and wondered if you could give me any advice on this one.

I've had the John lewis fridge model jffs2002 for about three years now, about a few weeks back i started noticing that the fridge part was quite warm with a warning light flashing showing temp error.

I've had a engineer take a look at it, who has told me that it was a common problem with frost free fridge/freezer. He advised to turn it off for 24h so the fridge could defrost due to ice blocking the pipe's that the cool air flows through. Followed his advice, the Fridge worked prefect for 1 day then reverted back to the same problem. Got him to take a look at it once again, he advised me once again to leave it off for a few days. He did say that he could speed up process of the defrost if only he could gain access to the internal parts of the fridge (will get back to that in a sec).

once again followed his advice, but left the fridge off for 1 whole week! turned it back on, it worked prefectly for 3 days, but now has gone back to it old ways (fridge warm with warning light on).

Not sure what to do should i call the engineer back to take a look once again?

Also this is the first fridge which i've come across to have a back which is completely sealed, in the manual it shows how to clean the condenser on the back, but there's no condenser to be seen, the back of the fridge is completely sealed by a white piece of cardboard. is this normal?

Any help will be very appreciated

Hello.

A few things to remember with auto defrost freezers is they do ice up occaisionaly.
    But if after defrosting it ices up again then there seems to be a problem with it.
    This type of fridge has a timer in it (mechanical or electronic) that puts it on defrost.
    When on defrost the compressor stops running which alows it to warm up.
    To speed the process up a heater comes on inside the freezer to melt any ice.
    After a set time or a set temp the thing changes back to refrigeration mode and
    the thing works as a freezer again.

Somthing in that cycle could be faulty and it could be one of ten things so to be
    done properly it does need looking at.

I do not want to say anything about the engineer who looked at it before.

You need somone who is familier with domestic fridges. There are people on this
    site who can tell you better but there is another site.

Pssst Psst (taz whispering try) http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/

They might be able to help you
    taz looks over his shoulder to see if the coast is clear
    Don't tell anyone I told you.

taz
    Last edited by taz24; 20-08-2008 at 12:51 AM.

netingit Guest

Hi Taz,

Thanks for your reply, will give the site ago

Thanks again

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Nohing wrong with WhiteGoods Taz, I specify them myself sometimes.

It's safe to come out from behind the pub now...
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Nohing wrong with WhiteGoods Taz, I specify them myself sometimes.

It's safe to come out from behind the pub now...

And heres me thinking I'd got away with it .

Cheers taz