Digital Guage manifolds

Hello all, I'm very much considering purchasing some digital guages. Leaning toward the Digi Cools. I have checked out Testo, YJ/Digi Cool, Master Cool,Refco And others. Lets hear some Pros & Cons of what members are using. Any info would be apreciated.

Thanks, John

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Digital Guage manifolds

This subject has been discussed quite recently and in the past.

Have a read of these threads (found by searching for 'digital guages').

http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...digital+guages

Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Thanks, Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    This subject has been discussed quite recently and in the past.

Have a read of these threads (found by searching for 'digital guages').

But Brian even if you do search 'digital gauges' you still don't get the bottom line,' how much and where from'. in the uk'. The price of anything in dollars is irrelevent to anyone in the uk. I love the look of the testos but there website has no prices, probably so a salesman can come round and charge you what he thinks he can get away with they may have lost a sale with me just on that infuriating website but yellow jacket have this floodback detection feature that no one has talked about yet. I'm sick of standard gauges i take 3 sets to a job and they all say different pressure.Come on i've got a weeks wages burning a hole in my pocket here man !!!
    Put the screwdriver down and step away from the expansion valve !!!! OK Gary i won't touch it unless instructed.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by get the gauges View Post
    But Brian even if you do search 'digital gauges' you still don't get the bottom line,' how much and where from'. in the uk'. The price of anything in dollars is irrelevent to anyone in the uk. I love the look of the testos but there website has no prices, probably so a salesman can come round and charge you what he thinks he can get away with they may have lost a sale with me just on that infuriating website but yellow jacket have this floodback detection feature that no one has talked about yet. I'm sick of standard gauges i take 3 sets to a job and they all say different pressure.Come on i've got a weeks wages burning a hole in my pocket here man !!!
    Fair comment GtG but bear in mind that this forum is not necessarily a pricing centre.

In the absence of useful web pricing then all I can suggest is telephoning around the various wholesalers.

I can't even find any on Ebay at the moment
    Retired March 2015

On Thursday, September 04/2008 - 4:39 US Central Time the U.S. Dollar to British Pound conversion rate is:

1 U.S. Dollar= 0.56285 British Pound
    1 British Pound (GBP)= 1.7768 U.S. Dollars (USD)

Mathematics given those figures should be relatively easy to determine the cost.

The typical U.S prices for these DMG's are as follows:

Testo 523 RSA w/hose park and probe= $569.00
    Testo 560-1 RSA deluxe Kit= $1764.00
    Advanced Diagnostics Kit w/the 560= $2409.00
    The 560 Custom Wirelesss Kit=$2609.00
    The Digi-Cool DRSA-1200 = $540.55

Keep in mind these prices do not reflect shipping fees associated with getting to you. You should be able to take this figures and get a pretty close idea od what you are looking at - if not PM me.
    Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACGod View Post
    On Thursday, September 04/2008 - 4:39 US Central Time the U.S. Dollar to British Pound conversion rate is:

1 U.S. Dollar= 0.56285 British Pound
    1 British Pound (GBP)= 1.7768 U.S. Dollars (USD)

Mathematics given those figures should be relatively easy to determine the cost.

The typical U.S prices for these DMG's are as follows:

Testo 523 RSA w/hose park and probe= $569.00
    Testo 560-1 RSA deluxe Kit= $1764.00
    Advanced Diagnostics Kit w/the 560= $2409.00
    The 560 Custom Wirelesss Kit=$2609.00
    The Digi-Cool DRSA-1200 = $540.55

Keep in mind these prices do not reflect shipping fees associated with getting to you. You should be able to take this figures and get a pretty close idea od what you are looking at - if not PM me.
    Hi H,
    Thanks for the info. I have an interest in this liquid sensing ability have you had any experience with this, i assume you've patriotically got some of the DRSA 1200's, are the 1250's out yet? And what will be the difference do you think. I wonder, has anybody ever brought some new tools through customs back from a US holiday, what are the rules for bringing shopping back ?
    Thanks GTG's
    Put the screwdriver down and step away from the expansion valve !!!! OK Gary i won't touch it unless instructed.

Hi H,
    Thanks for the info. I have an interest in this liquid sensing ability have you had any experience with this, i assume you've patriotically got some of the DRSA 1200's, are the 1250's out yet? And what will be the difference do you think. I wonder, has anybody ever brought some new tools through customs back from a US holiday, what are the rules for bringing shopping back ?
    Thanks GTG's
    In all honesty patriotism had absolutely no bearing in my decision to transition to digital. The Digi-Cool's are OEM'd in Canada, which we tolerate most of the time and the Testo's are distributed through New Jersey who we tolerate almost never. The decision was based on about two years of research - most of which was documented on my website. And following poorly informed investments in the technology before it was field viable in the form of Robinair and Tif digitals.

My personal collection of digital gauges include the Digi-Cool 1100, 1200 and yes I will be getting a 1250 as soon as they are widely available. The primary differences in the 1200 and the 1250 will be the backlighting and dual SH/SC toggling acquisition. There are also some proprietary changes relevant to the processor. I also have the original first generation Testo 523, the second generation 523 w/infrared printer and the 560 wireless, the J/B DM-2 and the J/B DM-4.

I don't know alot about customs but I would think at worst you may be required to open the unit so the inspectors could see inside the case - an operation that either the Digi-Cool or the Testo will tolerate with no problem.
    Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACGod View Post
    In all honesty patriotism had absolutely no bearing in my decision to transition to digital. The Digi-Cool's are OEM'd in Canada, which we tolerate most of the time and the Testo's are distributed through New Jersey who we tolerate almost never. The decision was based on about two years of research - most of which was documented on my website. And following poorly informed investments in the technology before it was field viable in the form of Robinair and Tif digitals.

My personal collection of digital gauges include the Digi-Cool 1100, 1200 and yes I will be getting a 1250 as soon as they are widely available. The primary differences in the 1200 and the 1250 will be the backlighting and dual SH/SC toggling acquisition. There are also some proprietary changes relevant to the processor. I also have the original first generation Testo 523, the second generation 523 w/infrared printer and the 560 wireless, the J/B DM-2 and the J/B DM-4.

I don't know alot about customs but I would think at worst you may be required to open the unit so the inspectors could see inside the case - an operation that either the Digi-Cool or the Testo will tolerate with no problem.
    Looks as if the new digi-cool version '1250' is to be shown at an american Hvac show soon and will soon be in production, we'll have to see how this new kit works.
    BTW for those that are interested I was quoted £575 inc.VAT for a set of yellow jacket versions from a uk wholesaler today.HvacGod are your prices inclusive of any all important value added tax? Thanks GTG's
    Last edited by get the gauges; 05-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.

value added tax
    I'm not familiar with that term GTG - would you mind ellaborating?

VAT = another Government sales tax, presently 17.5%

GtG, you normally have to pay any VAT due on importing things from outside the EU zone.
    Retired March 2015

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

HVACGod;
    Given that the cost may not be a consideration. In your own opinion which electronic gauge would you chose for your every day run of the mill commisioning and service jobs?
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

HRP and Climate Centre sell the Testo units. SWM for Yellow Jacket.
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

I am wondering just what the digital gauge will do that old analog gauges won't do. The analog gauges at least do not require batteries.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    I am wondering just what the digital gauge will do that old analog gauges won't do.

Ken
    Give you're credit card a good whipping

My XYL manages to keep the credit card in pretty fare shape on her own.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by nevgee View Post
    HVACGod;
    Given that the cost may not be a consideration. In your own opinion which electronic gauge would you chose for your every day run of the mill commisioning and service jobs?
    Is that a trick question? I don't typically recommend one brand of DMG over another as long as the selections are limited to Digi-Cool®, Testo® or J/B®. I've written enough reviews and am at least indirectly responsible for many others that have been written and are available on the interent that it is preferrable at least in my opinion to make that data available to the technician and allow him to make his own decision based on his own specific applications. With that understanding, I will offer these comments and hope they assist in your decision.

J/B® is almost, in my opinion a residentially targeted set - that is not to imply they are incapable of functioning in commercial applications but they have some minor modifications that were overlooked in the revision of the DM-2 to the DM-4 models that will hopefully be corrected in the 3rd generation release - when that comes about - it won't be any time soon though.

The Testo® RSA Series is a very comprehensive line with absolutely no application requirements that cannot be met by either the 523, 556 or 560. I don't know what you consider "run of the mill commissioning" - if it is something that requires full documentation to verify equipment operational parameters - then you are probably going to need to look at either the 556 or the 560 - keeping in mind that the 560 is the only model capable of extracting and documenting true micron level evacuation indications. The 523 is priamrily targeted at entry level residential - but as I have said on many occassions in many places the capabilities of this instrument far excede that category - an the 523 can be purchased with or have an Infrared printer added at a later date as an accessory.

The Digi-Cool® is in my opinion the Clydesdale of the digital manifold gauge trinity. The Digi-Cool® DRSA is as much at home tied to a 3 ton residential system as they are attached to 100 ton chiller - resilient - reliable and deadly precision. I own 3 of them - if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    I am wondering just what the digital gauge will do that old analog gauges won't do. The analog gauges at least do not require batteries.

Ken
    Don't get out much do ya Ken? Read my friend - search - that question has been answered so many times I can't imagine anyone repeating it again and being serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    VAT = another Government sales tax, presently 17.5%

GtG, you normally have to pay any VAT due on importing things from outside the EU zone.

Thank you Brian - my apologies in the delay in responding back to this thread. GTG - check with http://www.trutechtools.com If I understand it correctly they have established a Canadian distribution facility to complimnet the USA location - and the VAT may not be applicable when shipped via Canada. They offer exceptional second to none service after the sale and offer all of the premium digital refrigeration system analyzers currently available to the trade today.

Many thanks HVACGod .... I'm still considering the options but your input has been usefull.

My pleasure Nev - always happy to help a trade brother move in the right direction whenever possible - anything else I can help with just ask.

We have 3 sets of the Mastercool Digital Gauges, these have been very good but do have the limitation that a few of the new refrigerants are not covered. R422D (Isceon 29) to name but one. Try SRW they are online wholesalers price is quite good £199 from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1956 View Post
    We have 3 sets of the Mastercool Digital Gauges, these have been very good but do have the limitation that a few of the new refrigerants are not covered. R422D (Isceon 29) to name but one. Try SRW they are online wholesalers price is quite good £199 from memory.
    I would be interested to see if your opinion of them remains the same after two years in the field - if you are making a transition from analog to digital based solely on the price alone - I am afraid you are going to be disappointed in the switch. Ice I'm also curious if you did any research into transducers and thermistors prior to making the decision relevant to which brands you purchased?

I am concidering a 523. Are the first gen good for overnight data logging? 21 years in this field and ready for the next step. have read good and bad of this brand. does logging feature download though rs232 to pc? is the software eazy to use? any imput apreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by refmech View Post
    I am concidering a 523. Are the first gen good for overnight data logging?
    The first gen 523 RSA is in many ways, in my own opinion preferrable over the second gen RSA's. I have the first and second gen 523 and a 556 and I use the original far more than the second generation versions - to answer your question specifically yes the original 523 can execute over night data logging.

21 years in this field and ready for the next step. have read good and bad of this brand.
    DMG's are like any other instrument - or product for that matter - nothing is without at least some issues. Look for consistency - this particular brand and the Digi-Cool DRSA Series are by far the most consistent in excellent reviews based upon performance, accuracy, reliability and durability. Another critical component is after sales service - and again with the two OEM's I mentioned above - no one can touch either of these companies when it comes to support for their respective products. I trust either of them absolutely and without reservations.

Was there something specific that you've heard about the Testo in relevance to being "bad"?

does logging feature download though rs232 to pc?
    Yes it is and if you do not have an open RS-232 port, RS-232 to USB adaptors are available as well: http://hvacprotech.org/toc/RS-232_USB_Adaptor.htm

is the software eazy to use?
    With practice yes - in my opinion it does not qualify as "plug-N-play" though. The EasyKool software particularly as it was applied to the original 523 was revolutionary and really offers some phenomenal insight into equipment operating parameters when you become acclimated to using it - it is well worth the effort and time invested to master.

any imput apreciated!
    Just my 2 cents - but you are welcome.

Below is an example of system operational parameters translated to graph formatting using the Testo original 523 (TestoKool) and EasyKool software.

Thumbs up Re: Digital Guage manifolds

HVACGod thanks for the input. I have been gathering more and more info on this tool. very close to sticking it out there and buy one (523 1gen w/software) . Thanks for the two cents. probably as easy to navigate as mitsubishi maintenance tool-city multi. thanks again

Don't mention it my friend, my pleasure.

itsiceman Guest

refmech I have a 1 gen 523 and it has preformed beyond my expectations

Thank GOD

The temperature sensor could use some beefing up but the testo warranty is excellent