Stu76 Guest

Question Seeking Advice on Retraining for AC&R

Hello all,
    I am sure you get these posts all the time but I would appreciate any advice you can give.I have worked in the automotive industry for my working life and at 32 realise it is now or never for a career change.After considering all possible careers refrigeration/air conditioning engineer/technician was streets ahead of anything else.I dont expect walk into a job where the employer will pay for my training therefore I am willing to do it myself.I am hoping to attain the necessary qualifications in the shortest possible time,Ideally I would like to do them fulltime rather than 1 or 2 nights a week.If anyone can point me in the right direction or give a little advice on the best way to get into the industry I would be forever grateful.
    Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
    Stu.
    (I live in Durham NE England)
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 04-08-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Moved to "Training" section.

Re: Seeking Advice

If you want to make money > plumber or a lawyer.
    If you just want to work hard > fridgy

Hi Stu,

I have worked with a couple of mechanics and they seem to get on well in this industry, when trained.

I think Grimsby College is up your way. The advert is on this page as I type.

After qualification (NVQ 2 minimum) you should find most employers will take you on. I would say approx fifty per cent of the people I've met are not at all qualified.

All the best.

Stu-76, welcome aboard.
    I'm from Belgium and can't guide you in the UK what to do. Anyhow, I like your first post and especially your attitude/approach and I can read through your post that you will achieve your goal.
    Good luck.
    But why refrigeration
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

guyeves Guest

Re: Seeking Advice on Retraining for AC&R

Hi there, having left the army myself after 6 years i retrained and took my nvq refrigeration and air con course up in Doncaster... The course was 2 weeks and gave me the qualifications i needed, I put my Cv on various sites and waited patiently, finally the call came and had an interview and now im a trainee refrigeration/air con engineer!! Today was my first day so looking onwards and upwards!!!

phildo Guest

Re: Seeking Advice on Retraining for AC&R

Hi Guy,
    Where was the 2 week course ? can you give some details ? a friend of mine wants to retrain

best regards,

phamilton987@aol.com