bosch fridge freezer

Hi

I am a student just about to move out of my student house. Our Landlord has pulled us up on damage to the freezer part of our fridge freezer. The freezer still works fine but the plastic has been cracked off the stoppers on the freezer wall. I dont see any problem other than cosmetic, these cant be seen when the drawers are in place. Will the damage affect the service life of the freezer or the performance

Many thanks

Re: bosch fridge freezer

Quote Originally Posted by geoffishere View Post
    Hi

I am a student just about to move out of my student house. Our Landlord has pulled us up on damage to the freezer part of our fridge freezer. The freezer still works fine but the plastic has been cracked off the stoppers on the freezer wall. I dont see any problem other than cosmetic, these cant be seen when the drawers are in place. Will the damage affect the service life of the freezer or the performance

Many thanks
    like you say it just sound cosmetic,upload a pic and let the domesic guys take a look
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

sorry about the quality only got my phone camera.

thanks for the help
    Attached Images Attached Images

As I see it (but I'm not in to domestic stuff) that damage will let moisture in to the insulation and will over time damage the freezer (walls expanding like balloons due to ice build up)

BUT
    (this might be a bit late now) any DIY shop will sell white silicone, this would form a good vapour barrier and also hide the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    BUT
    (this might be a bit late now) any DIY shop will sell white silicone, this would form a good vapour barrier and also hide the damage.
    by too late, do you mean the fact my landlord has seen the damage, or that the damage has already been done

Quote Originally Posted by geoffishere View Post
    by too late, do you mean the fact my landlord has seen the damage, or that the damage has already been done
    Your Landlord...
    (I might be wrong here, but I sort of assumed that you, as a student, wouldn't care about the long term damage)

well personally im not, but our landlord has said he is going to bill us for a new freezer(he has quoted us £500 for the new fridge/freezer). If we have damaged the freezer in such a way that its performance or service life has been affected then fair enough. However if there is a cheaper fix or if the damage has no affect then i feel it is a bit unfair.

Thanks

I have serviced domestic refrigerators for approx. 10 years now. Looking at the photos It looks like more wear and tear than damage to me. was the freezer new when you moved in and approx. how old is it? If it is 3-5 years, i would expect signs of wear and tear, especially with students who, no disrespect, will probably use the freezer alot.
    The plastic is thin in the areas you have photographed and when frozen and brittle can crack and come away easily.
    I can honestly say the wear will not cause any problem whatsoever to the operation of the freezer. I wouldnt waste time putting silicon sealant on it. it will only come away when the draws are used.
    I feel your landlord is been a little unfair with asking for the cost of a new freezer.

I hope this helps settle your case.

Mark Thomas
    All Seasons Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Ltd

it is two years old brand new when we moved in. There is eight of us in the house and other than this freezer we only have a small freezer so it is used a lot.

Hi mate, tell youre landlord that this damge has been caused by two years of a heavily frozen food laden drawer being stopped by a flimsy fragile piece of plastic taking its toll, if you havn't already. What did you tell him happened?

i told him that i felt that the damage was down to wear and tear but my landlord said that he felt that the damage couldnt be down to wear and tear, he says he has has similar freezers for many years and never had trouble such as shown

well, out of all those freezers one had to be the first to go. I think you should stand your ground mate,

GOOD LUCK!

I would like to know about the out come of this, it sounds interesting.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

nevgee is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

I own a Bosch fridge freezer and it's suffered over time because I leave two errant males (children) in my house when i go on hols.

Thing is though I'm very dissapointed with the Bosch fridge I own. The interior walls /skin is very thin, the salad trays are wearing thru the skin simply by constant drawing over it ....

Cutting it short .. Bosch for me is probably the worst fridge I ever owned when it comes down to wear and tear they are very flimsy.

If you've got 1/2 doz student type guys using one fridge then it isn't going to last for very long. Especially if it like my Bosch.
    Any cracks or tears can be repaired using a Polystyrene modeling glue for thin cracks or maybe something more thixotropic for wider gaps. Silicon is ok but not as robust as a solvent glue.
    Reality is an elusion created by alcohol deficiency. Quaff and enjoy. [Yorkshire, UK]

500/8 people = 63 pounds each. not going to break the bank. But I agree he should not be using a domestic in such a place it is clear he should be using comercial grad kit in such a heavy usage environment. I would tell him this flat out.

Quote Originally Posted by all seasons ref View Post
    I have serviced domestic refrigerators for approx. 10 years now. Looking at the photos It looks like more wear and tear than damage to me. was the freezer new when you moved in and approx. how old is it? If it is 3-5 years, i would expect signs of wear and tear, especially with students who, no disrespect, will probably use the freezer alot.
    The plastic is thin in the areas you have photographed and when frozen and brittle can crack and come away easily.
    I can honestly say the wear will not cause any problem whatsoever to the operation of the freezer. I wouldnt waste time putting silicon sealant on it. it will only come away when the draws are used.
    I feel your landlord is been a little unfair with asking for the cost of a new freezer.

I hope this helps settle your case.

Mark Thomas
    All Seasons Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Ltd
    +1
    Fridges are made dirt cheap these days, not designed to last over 2 years.
    I used to do domestic fridges and stuff like that is a common sight.
    Normal wear and tear, the manufacturer has a 1 or 2 year warranty for a reason, because stuff like that is going to happen after a few years.
    Your landlord may have had "fridges for years that never had that happen".
    But I bet he's never owned a cheap fridge purchased in the last few years, like the one in your rented property.
    Domestic fridge quality is at and all time low, where they are all designed for planned obselence, ie. planned to fail shortly after the warranty runs out. They used to be built to last for years, that's not the case anymore.

At home my parents used to have and the parents of my girlfriend still have a bosch freezer. Bosch is quite a laugh for me... wears VERY fast to me and all of their electronic stuff goes out of business very fast. Both of these stupid freezer go into alarm often without a reason.
    And not only their freezers are rediculous

When I baught my own 1st freezer together with one for my parents at home now 4 years ago I looked for a descent compressor brand built in, and the way all the layers and stuff were fixed and so... I've chosen a Gorenje back then, relative unknown over here. tsjech brand but did not care. With a standard mechanical thermostat, no electronic **** built in

still lasts and no sign of wear here.