Hybrid View

Re: Lg American Style Fridge/Freezer

it's six of one and half dozen of the other. New fridges are more efficient because they are fan forced, think of how unefficient a heater or air con would be without a fan.
    Cyclic defrost fridges are older, have more compressor wear, and more inefficient compresors anyway and probably have degraded insulation/seals by now.
    Then again, frost free fridges have to use a bit of power running their heaters every day.
    But the bottom line is a well designed frost free fridge is more efficient than an older cyclic defrost.
    I've got a 38 y/o single cabinet fridge/freezer (ie. drip tray baffle, single door unit), a 10 year old 2 door cyclic defrost fridge freezer, and a 3 year old frost free*, all work, no problems. But I bet the 3 yr old frost free uses the least power.

edit: to make it agreeable with you, I will now refer to "frost free" fridges as "automatic defrost", does that term sound good?
    That was the whole point of them. Frost free meaning the owner doesn't have to defrost the fridge, unlike the old models. Automatic defrost is a better description, rather than have people believe it doesn't frost up in the first place..
    Last edited by paul_h; 03-08-2008 at 06:44 PM.