Thread: R22 - Status

R22 - Status

I need to prepare a report for a technical committee part of which will contain a recomendation that R22 no longer be considered as an option for new instalations. I have conflicting information regarding the phasing out and eventual ban. Although the committee is based in South Africa the status in other countries would also be appreciated. Thank you

Re: R22 - Status

Graham

All the HCFCs are facing phase out, the fact is that the phase out is quicker in some parts of the world than in others.

As you probably know, almost all the counties in the world including South Africa have signed up to the Montreal Protocol. There are derogations in it on the use of CFCs and HCFCs for what are termed ‘Article 5’ Countries that are defined as developing countries in the Protocol.
    The developed countries that have followed the MP process have a schedule that is laid out in the document, though in some cases the phase dates are accelerated in certain countries.

In Europe it’s a different story. In short, in the European Union (27 member states in Europe) there is a common approach to the MP, though an EU regulation (2037/2000 EC) places enhanced phase outs on all the chlorinated refrigerants.
    In the EU it has not been legal to sell new equipment using R22 since 2002. The sale of new R22 for service becomes illegal from January 1, 2010 and the sale of recycled R22 will become illegal from January 1 2015. Stockpiling is also illegal. There is a clause in the Regulation that allows the EU to accelerate the phase out dates before the end of this year, but it appears that they will allow the schedule to stay.

The bigger global picture must include the scenario that very little equipment is now made for R22 in comparison to other refrigerants. Most of the traditional refrigerant manufacturers are phasing it out, so the usual economies of scale are being eroded. This means that the price is rising, plus the cost of raw material, fluorspar etc is rising globally with other raw commodities.

You are taking the right view in my opinion. There’s no long term future in HCFCs. Definitely not in Europe, though there may be a slightly longer lifespan in other parts of the world, but it’s really a dead duck.

Re: R22 - Status

Thanks, I will use the MP that the use of R22 will be allowed until 2020 although its production will be reduced from 2010. The confusion arose from another document that landed on my desk that implied that there would be an accelerated withdrawal of R22 in SA. I suspect that the document was actually refering to the EU.