How do you change oil on rotary?

I've been looking up how to change oil on a rotary and the information I have found so far has confused me slightly.
    I read you can open up a access port and tip your unit upside down to drain all the oil out, then to flush the unit out you can fill it with glycol to rinse the crud out.Will an alcohol attack the internal parts of the compressor? or react with the oil to cause even more damage, or is it safe?Then once the system is oil free, close it up and vacuum it. Then insert your new oil, now that part really confused me. How do you insert the new oil and not introduce moisture to the system? cause i see that oil is just sold in a can and doesnt appear to have any special connector that can fit in a shraeder valve.I then read that once your unit is filled with the new oil you can commence with triple vacuuming it, wont vacuuming a system without an oil sep suck oil out?If anyone could tell me the proper procedure on how to change oil or refer me to where I can find the info id appreciate it.

Re: How do you change oil on rotary?

Can a mod or anyone else please tell me why my posts come out as a block, when they are typed properly formatted in paragraphs.

If you have the manufacturer instructions, follow them step by step, if its the first time you do it, ask from someone in your company to supervise you and make sure you do it right.

Whatever yo do, there is always a first time.....

Can you give make and model?

GXMPLX is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Quote Originally Posted by Raadster View Post
    Can a mod or anyone else please tell me why my posts come out as a block, when they are typed properly formatted in paragraphs.
    Not a MOD here but are you using an editor and copying and pasting?

It could be your editor inserts "soft" returns. Isert hard returns example with <ctrl> <enter> but this depends on your editor.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

You need to read up on oil transfer pumps it appears.

Just pouring oil out of the can into the compressor is not done.

Also, why do you expect the vacuum pump to suck all of the oil out again, I'm confused.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hello
    my advice would be definitely do not use glycol to clean the oil out of the compressor as it leaves a sticky residue. I have always successfully used IPA 99,9% purity if I ever had to clean out a system as this evaporates without leaving any residue! But as chemi-cool says read the manual or go to the homepage of the respective compressor manufacturer.

Judging by your more elaborated post over at Xs you direly need to learn allot more be for you attempt ANY THING with refrigeration! I'd start with reading compressor basics and learn how they work, as this info isn't some thing we can spoon feed you and have it make sense, you have to have some general knowledge for any of it to make sense.

IE you have to have a foundation be for you can make the roof!

Now don't get me wrong, you are certaintly doing the right thing! Asking befor doing is going to ensure you good success I read up on each and every part for a long time (4 years or so) befor even attempting my first build but the time spent was worth it to have success on the first try!

So start up reading about compresors then onto condensors and evaporators and metering devises and so on. It is really rewarding when it all comes togeather and makes sense
    Last edited by The MG Pony; 28-07-2008 at 06:15 PM.