Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

samsung sr-s20 defrosting problem

hi everyone , i am working on a side by side samsung sr-s2028. the unit runs normally on refrigeration cycle and everything is perfect, until it enters defristing mode, then it will not re-start and i must turn it off and on again ,until the next defrosting time. i was suggested that the thermal fuse on the fridge campartment was faulty, i measured it found no continuity, so, i replaced the fuse, but the problem is not solved yet. if you can help, please do so. i checked the resistance on the heaters, they seem ok, i was told the board is being replaced.

Re: samsung sr-s20 defrosting problem

If you turn the fridge freezer off for a minute and then back on again it should show a fault code on the panel, but if the heater and the temp limiter are ok have you checked the evaporator sensor, and have you checked all these components in the freezer?

hi thanks yes .but it is a four botton front panel, does not have error code.
    i replaced the thermal fuse, but no luck, i was told to replace the coil senser in the fridge compartment. what you recommend?

i replaced the thermal fuse, defrosting prob not solved and,
    i checked the thermal fuse after a week,is already blown. ie no continiuity found,what do you think is the cause

If the thermal fuse has blown then it is probably the evaporator sensor that is at fault

the fault code is displayed as part of the numerical display, when you switch back on the fridge performs a diagnostic check and one or two lines of the fridge or freezer temp will light, that is the fault code, if you can tell me your email address i can send you the service manual in pdf

colin thanks i tried to e-mail you my e-mail address but , e-mails retured .

hi colin and thank you for you kind reply and help, i describe the problem;

the unit operates OK until it enters defrost cycle, it will not restart (does not enter ref cycle) and the temperature shoots up (obviously). i must turn the unit off and on again from the wall socket. i was told the thermal fuse was gone i. e no continuity, i replaced the thermal fuse. but the problem was not solved. after one week i check the fuse, the new one is gone as well. i wish to know why is it burnt the thermal fuse, if it does not defrost? i was about to change the coil sensor (you called it evap sensor) but i thought if i change evap sensor i need to replace the thermal fuse again, i do not know what to do, but the unit is operating i have to turn it off 2-3 times in 24 hours, which is not professional. The front panel has four button . anything will help me manual or tech support or...

sork

zola25 Guest

Hi Colin i am having almost the same problem it would be great if you could send me the error codes or the PDF manual.The display shows 4 on the fridge side when you switch it on or a single horizontal line which is the bottom of a number 8 if you know what i mean.
    You can email me at davidhills64@hotmail.com

Hi David, I’m happy to help but the model you have given me is incomplete ie; SR-S20***** (an extra 2 numbers, three letters) I'v sent you an email with service manual for SR-S2028CVW attached, Regards, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by zola25 View Post
    Hi Colin i am having almost the same problem it would be great if you could send me the error codes or the PDF manual.The display shows 4 on the fridge side when you switch it on or a single horizontal line which is the bottom of a number 8 if you know what i mean.
    You can email me at davidhills64@hotmail.com

zola25 Guest

Hi again Colin that is the right model but did not get the email hotmail is not that good anymore does not seem to like attatchments.
    Could you please send it again to this email david.p.hills@gmail.com
    Thanks for the help
    David

Hi,

I am also having the same problem. Pulling my hair out to be honest. I was told to replace the thermo fuse and the defrost sensor. Did both of them and the same problem. Having to turn it off at least twice a day. Very annoying. When I turn mine off and on a 3 appears on the display very quickly.
    Please help.
    My email address is clyde.mitchell@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mitch98 View Post
    Hi,

I am also having the same problem. Pulling my hair out to be honest. I was told to replace the thermo fuse and the defrost sensor. Did both of them and the same problem. Having to turn it off at least twice a day. Very annoying. When I turn mine off and on a 3 appears on the display very quickly.
    Please help.
    My email address is clyde.mitchell@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks
    Hi, 3 on the display indicates a load defect, I think your problem here is the defrost heater in the fridge compartment but you need to do a resistance check to confirm that, the only problem is that the defrost heater comes as part of the evaporator and you need special equipment to change that. The defrost heater can be changed without fitting the evaporator as well by gently unpicking the heater from the evaporator but it's a bit tricky. please check the resistance of the defrost heater first though and remember the same components are in the freezer as well, Colin

Dear This is a problem of controller as it is not coming out of defrost Mode and when you are re starting it is going for auto reset hence you need to change the main controller of the refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by amitsaxena View Post
    Dear This is a problem of controller as it is not coming out of defrost Mode and when you are re starting it is going for auto reset hence you need to change the main controller of the refrigerator.
    Hi, I doubt this is a problem with the controller, it is more likely to be a fault with the evaporator sensor in the fridge or freezer depending on which one is staying on defrost

Dear Colicool,

I have encountered this type of problem hence
    "problem of controller" as it is not coming out of defrost Mode and when you are re starting it is going for auto reset hence you need to change the main controller of the refrigerator, is more logical. Thanks

hi colin I am having a similar problem of fridge/freezer sr s2028cvw not coming out defrost cycle, service manual would be a big help.

my email is hotchudasama@btinternet.com

Hi Bazzey, I'll send you the manual, but your problem is certainly a fault with either defrost heater or evaporator sensor and thermal fuse, all three components are also in the freezer, good luck, Colin

Steve B Guest

Hi, Colin. I am also having problems with a SRS2028. A service manual would be a great help. Thank you.
    email: sjbcs@tiscali.co.uk

DocMcCoy Guest

Hi Colin
    I have a SR-S2026CVW Serial Number 4437-43CW200345D, american style FF and experiencing the following problems:
    The display reads -20 for the freezer and 2 for the fridge, however inside both compartments feel warm. I placed in a thermometer and found the freezer to be -5 and the fridge to be +5. I carried out an Irish reset (power off/on) and the display then read the correct temperatures and the compressor started up. This woked fine until it reached temperature and x amount of time later, I checked and it was warm inside again.
    I bought a different FF and put this in the garage in the hope of repairing it someday. That day came just before Christmas, when my wife wanted me to get it going again for the extra space that we needed and still need now.
    So I powered it up again and experienced the same faults as above and the after a while, it started tripping out the RCD on my electricity supply. I watched the display when I powered it up and the fridge side lit up and after a few seconds the was a click (I presume a relay ) and the the RCD went out. I have not tried since because of still looking for information to help me out.
    I am an engineer in the Injection Moulding business and am well experienced in electrics, electronics, pneumatics and hydraulics, but this is doing my head in. I have no service manual, drawings of much experience on refigeration problems. Can you please help me?
    Best Regards

Chrisjoefc Guest

Exclamation Re: samsung sr-s20 defrosting problem

Hi
    having prob with freezer defrosting freezer temp starts flashing after a couple of hours a service manual would be great if someone could email me one cheers ff is sr-s2028cvw.

Chrisjoefc@googlemail.com thanks

Nikos787 Guest

hi colicool, i have the same problem with my sr-s2026cvw plz may i have the manual/ info.

Cheers Nikos787@msn.com

minesh10 Guest

hi.. it seems like this is a common problem with this fridge freezer..

i also have a samsung sr-s2028cvw model and am experiance the same defrost cycle problem...

can i please get a copy of the service manual...my email addy is minesh_patel10@yahoo.co.uk...

where can i locate the defrost thermostat to check the resistance and the thermo fuse??

any help much appreciated

brandyman Guest

Hi
    I have Samsung SR-S2028CVW.

It went wrong in 2005 with symptoms similar to what others have described here.

Engineer removed back panel in fridge compartment and changed component and everything worked fine until recently.

Temperature displays sit at -18 and +4 but both freezer and fridge compartments feel warm. Turn off power at wall and then switch back on and temperature readings are completely different. Say +1 for freezer and +10 for fridge. However, compressor fires up and eventually temperature indicators go to -18 and +4 where they remain even though the temperatures inside the freezer and fridge compartments rise. I had to keep switching of the unit about 3 time a day to maintain a workable temperature.

In the past week when switching the unit off then back on it reaches -18 and +4 but now the freezer reading is continually flashing on and off unless I do a power reset. Fridge reading stays at +4 despite internal temperature of fridge rising.

When switching the power off and then back on the number three appears briefly where the fridges temparature appears (possibly fault code) After a second or so it disappears and then then both freezer & fridge tempatures appear.

Have place external thermometers with internal probes in each compartment and both fridge and freezer compartments are sitting at about +13. The compressor is not running unless I turn power off and back on whereby it gets up to its indicated temparatures of -18 and +4 but then temperatures start rising again.

Had engineer out today who checked service history on laptop of previous repair and pressed a few buttons on the fridge/freezer and said a new compressor was required and this was indicated by fridge/freezer not indicating a fault code. I am assuming from his analysis that there is only one compressor that serves both freezer and fridge. As unit is under extended warranty he doubts whether insurance company will cover the cost of replacing this item. He also mentioned some other item that would need replacing but I cannot remember what that was.
    I beleive that the the figure 3 mentioned above was a fault code. I also think this fault is the same as what happened previously which resulted in a fairly easy fix.

I am no expert but from what I am reading on here it appears the engineers approach may not be correct. He missed seeing the possible fault code I see eveytime I power the fridge/freezer on and off. Infact he was in and out the door within 5 minutes and most of that was spent on his laptop.

I obvoiusly would prefer the unit to be repaired.
    If, as he suggests, the insurance company will not sanction the replacement of the compressor, additional item and associated labour then they are likely to offer a reduced refund towards the cost of a replacement. Something I would rather not get into.

Soory for long nature of post but want to make sure all facts are give.

Any thoughts - Thanks

The "3" is not a fault code. The appliance will not store fault codes if it is being switched off/on. The fault you describe sounds typical of defrost heater failure. Appliance will run until defrost cycle, then will not come out of defrost because no temperature rise has been sensed. Pressing and holding top two buttons together will show a fault indicated by a lit segment, the appliance needs to be left plugged in and on for 12-18 hours to register a fault code.

Hi Branyman, I've sent you an email with my guess as to your problem, best of luck, please email if you need any further help, colicool

jens rytter Guest

hi colin I am having a similar problem of fridge/freezer sr s2028cvw , service manual would be a big help.

my email is jens_rytter@privat.dk

Still got the same problem can someone help please. Fridge freezer is not cooling at all. Same problem as everyone else is having. Has anyone managed to fix there problems listed above?

My email is clyde.mitchell@yahoo.co.uk

Please help... the service manual might be a good start.
    Thanks

I went to a similar fault the other day. My diagonisis was a seized/ burnt out compressor causing the overheat safety to trip a few seconds after the comp tried to start from power on. The unit had been attempting to run for a few days so the comp was already super hot. R600a and only 2.1 years old, just out of warranty. All the same symptoms as above.

error codes are listed on this site but if need them can email them
    Attached Images Attached Images

paul fridge Guest

Hi Colin

am have the same problem any chance of emailing the manual for sr-s2028cvw and error codes on display

email address pauljfaulkner@yahoo.co.uk

cheers

Paul

yasinpatel Guest

Hi Colin

am have the same problem any chance of emailing the manual for sr-s2028cvw and error codes on display

email address yasinpatel@hotmail.com

cheers

Yas

george111 Guest

hi all not to sure if in right area in forum, i have a walkin freezer size 8*8 but they temp staying around -11 not getting higher but inside i can see a ice building up on the grill where cold air blow out. any advice pls

If the fridge cools then after 6 to 8 hours defrosts you need to change , thermal fuse, defrost sensor and heater, its as easy as that.The fridge is going into a defrost but because the heater is not working no rise in temp is detected until its defrosted.
    I can supply all these parts , just let me know .

STUART PEAR Guest

Hi I have a sr-s2028 cvw suffering from exactly the problems described,so guess it will probably be the fridge defrost heater. can some one email me a copy of the service manual please.
    thanks
    Stuart.

JackyFoxx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DocMcCoy View Post
    Hi Colin
    I have a SR-S2026CVW Serial Number 4437-43CW200345D, american style FF and experiencing the following problems:
    The display reads -20 for the freezer and 2 for the fridge, however inside both compartments feel warm. I placed in a thermometer and found the freezer to be -5 and the fridge to be +5. I carried out an Irish reset (power off/on) and the display then read the correct temperatures and the compressor started up. This woked fine until it reached temperature and x amount of time later, I checked and it was warm inside again.
    Best Regards
    Hi there

I am a newby but found this forum really interesting. I have a Samsung SRS2029CSS Cool n Cool side by side and we are experiencing exactly the same as the poster above. I rang Samsung UK and the guy on the other end sounded like he'd just got out of bed and was totally dis-interested in my problem!! I had a friend round last night who is an excellant refrigeration engineer but doesn't do domestic anymore and nearly died when he realised it was a Samsung. He said these are brilliant machines when they work but a nightmare when they go wrong and it always seems to be the same problem. Ours has always sat and worked comfortably at -21 freezer and 3 for fridge. The fridge seems ok although not really cold but the freezer is still showing -21 but is now not freezing. I keep switching on and off like everyone else on here, the motor kicks in, reading goes to about 9 and it starts to freeze then as soon as temperature reaches -21 it starts to defrost. I love this side by side it has the home bar where you don't have to open the whole door to get to the milk it's a brilliant idea but I cannot believe that after just 6 years it has broken down. I originally had an Amana in my previous house. Its still there parked up in the garage and will probably outlive me but unfortunately it is sooooo big and far too big for this house which already had the Samsung in situ. Help I really don't know what to do and fear we are about to be ripped off by an engineer big time!! Would it be cheaper to get another FF or have this one fixed? My refrigeration engineer friend said if we can find out the problem and get the parts my partner could fix easily as he is an engineer himself although not in refrigeration but he also said it could be difficult to get the parts as Samsung don't make it easy!! Any answers??

Kind ones
    Jacky

rdbartle Guest

hi having same problem with a sr s2028cvw can you supply manual /fault codes i am an a/c engineer and the misses is giving me some grief now
    thanks richard email address is rdbartle@tiscali.co.uk

thewilson99 Guest

Hi, I am lucky enough to have a Samsung S RS 2028CSS showing the same symptoms many have described.
    Fridge pulls down to set temp in 3 - 4 hours but then warms up. I have tried the diagnostic test - I pressed Quick freeze and Vacation for 8 secs as described on the back of the unit. Everything on the display flashes then a beep then blank display for about 15 secs then back to normal. If I switch off, switch on 3 is displayed on the fridge side before normal display on fridge and freezer.
    An engineer called and said it must be the control PCB.
    That sounds expensive. Any thoughts what the lack of error code means?

The 3 that is lit up in the fridge section when turning the appliance on is normal. It shows when the module is running it's diagnostic test for the first few seconds before the fridge starts up and is NOT an error code.

if you want to know the error code then press quick freeze and vacation buttons at same time for more than 8 seconds. the display beeps and a segment will light up to indicate where the fault is. worked on over a thousand samsungs during the past 10 years

CMEX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by colicool View Post
    the fault code is displayed as part of the numerical display, when you switch back on the fridge performs a diagnostic check and one or two lines of the fridge or freezer temp will light, that is the fault code, if you can tell me your email address i can send you the service manual in pdf
    Hi Colicool, Whuold you please to send me service manual for sr-s20... to cmex3abcex(et)hotmail(point)com
    Thanks

Magic8 Guest

New to this, so here goes !
    We have a Samsung SR-S2028CVW SS20WH3/XEU, there two (seperate, I think) problems, firstly, every 8weeks or so we have to take the fridge apart and manualy defrost, or leave the unit switched off for a couple of days to defrost, as the fan starts to hit the ice build up. The wife is getting very fed up with this !
    Secondly, the ice maker works, but the dispenser doesnt, you can hear it buzzing, but the flap you press to dispense then jams in and no ice is dispensed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, I have manged to download a user manual, but could some body point me in the direction of a Maintenance Manual and Fault codes, thanks.

LonelyCloud Guest

Arrow Re: samsung sr-s20 defrosting problem

Hi all,

Though many seem to encounter this problem with the Samsung SR-S2028CVW, noone has reported successfully resolving the issue.

*Has anyone resolved it?
    *What was the resolution?

*I agree with @cameraman - the 3 is NOT an error code
    *using the codes kindly provided by @tonto33 and the error codes on the back of the refrigerator, the error being displayed is either 3 R-DEF-SENSOR ERROR or 4 R-FAN ERROR (sorry - I cant recall exactly which light was lit, but I suspect 4)

Thanks in advance, folks and folksesses!

lonelycloud
    you need this kit to fix your samsung
    http://partmaster.co.uk/cgi-bin/prod...=SR%2dS2028CVW

LonelyCloud Guest

Thanks for your response and link @tonto33.

*the image (of the part) on the site states 'twin cooling', but the existing part reads 'ref evaporator'. I'm assuming the image is just representative?
    *The site states 'Includes Motor & Sensors'. Do I need the whole assembly, or just the relevant part(s)?
    *the error displayed was '3 R-DEF-SENSOR. Problem of defrost sensor in refrigerator'

*just to confirm:
    +all is fine with fridge and freezer for x hours; after which
    +fridge temperature rises, but display doesn't reflect this (freezer is fine)
    +self diagnosis (using 2 button method) shows 3 R-DEF-SENSOR as problem
    +turning refrigerator off for 30 seconds and on again resolves problem, and then we start this cycle again!

Apologies if these are silly questions, but I am a n00b to this. Thanks again; your time and help is much appreciated.

the whole kit needs to be fitted should include defrost sensor themal fuse evap cover and fan fairly easy to fit

LonelyCloud Guest

Thanks again @tonto33.

I'm away for a few weeks from now, but I'll order the part and report back on my return.

For others reference, the replacement part number (again, courtesy of my new guru @tonto33!) seems to be DA97-05290Q (NOT coolzone models)

Off topic - needed removing
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 08-09-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Off topic - needed removing
    Last edited by chillerman2006; 08-09-2011 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerman2006 View Post
    2. Please do not post your email address or phone number in the open forums. If you do this, it opens you up to all sorts of problems. There is a PM (private message) system in place that you can use.
    If you do post personal details they will be removed.
    Cm youve missed a few e mails on this thread!!!!
    Remind me not to cross u off my christmas card list!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    Cm youve missed a few e mails on this thread!!!!
    Remind me not to cross u off my christmas card list!!!!
    Haha !

Not aimed at posters bud....you know this by now

R's CM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast