Thread: S89 Failures

S89 Failures

Has anyone had experiance with or heard of catastrophic failures with S89's?

Re: S89 Failures

Which kind of failure ?

Sure superfridge, I have seen some catastrophic failures on S89 compressors, but usually they are caused by system faults or foreign objects. These are very good compressors with high efficiency, so close tolerances, making them sensitive for dirt or other ojects coming in. What's the reason for your question?

The Screwdoctor

Quote Originally Posted by sevilou View Post
    Which kind of failure ?
    A failure that requires the compressor to be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by The Screwdoctor View Post
    Sure superfridge, I have seen some catastrophic failures on S89 compressors, but usually they are caused by system faults or foreign objects. These are very good compressors with high efficiency, so close tolerances, making them sensitive for dirt or other ojects coming in. What's the reason for your question?

The Screwdoctor
    Just woundering if the S89 is problematic as I have heard of two failures. I know there is normally a reason but maybe........... Also I believe they are not made anymore?

From the ones I've worked on , although not 89's they look pretty well bullet proof ( of course your statement stuffs that up ) .

In the early days they had thrust bearing failures because thrusts were skidding because of not enough preload on bearings . That was fixed with shim between inner races to take up clearances .
    I've heard of a case where oil pump kept failing causing debris to enter roller bearings . Don't know reason but they ended up installing remote pump .
    I know I'm having a bit of trouble with shart seals , "o" rings getting to hot ?

Give us more info than failure if you can ?
    Is it a booster or high side ?

I agree with Ranger1, it is pretty much bullet proof the S89. They are not in full production anymore but still are available as exchange block or if wanted brand new.
    What refrigerant the compressors have been operating and did you opened up the compressor to see what went wrong?

The Screwdoctor

I don't have 1st hand knowlege of the failures, only educated suspicions so would prefur not to comment.

Thanks for your replys.

You got us all excited FOR NOTHING !

Hi, i assisted in a strip down of a S89 booster. before strip down there was a rumbling noise from the none drive end of the male rotor. we found the outer race of that bearing had been skiding in its housing,got the housing re-sleeved all sweet now.Other than that some sets out in the field that i've notice dont measure the suction/discharge pressure differantial on start up.there is a possiability of lubrication issues in this process.

I would have thought roller bearings would'nt need to much oil on start up or when running .
    These machines have combination oil pump for main bearings discharge end + unloaders and differential for suction side rollers + oil injection .

Hey Rusty,

I agree when you say that these compressors need differential pressure as soon as possible at startup, but in some cases it is advisable to install an external full lube oilpump if the oilflow is not there within the desired time. The oilpump which is normally bolted on is removed and a 50 ltr. per min. oilpump is connected on the compressor. We recently overhauled a S87 booster which looked like new inside after appr. 60.000 hrs.
    Not guarding your oilflow can result in serious problems, it is a must on industrial screw compressors in general, they are quite expensive to overhaul or replace.

The Screwdoctor

Slightly off subject but prelube like screwdoctor is always best as long as screw does'nt fill up with oil before start .
    I don't have to much experience with frick but they have roller bearings similar to S89 .
    Checked oil failure after general overhaul and was shocked as it was set on 10 minutes with no oil pressure before cut out .
    Apparently this is normal !
    To bad if someone leaves a valve closed .