oil separator screen cleanning

I need to pull open the bottom plate of an oil separator in order to check the buoy mechanism and mesh. The separator is located in the discharge line. In order to isolate the oil separator, I´m planning to shut down the compressors and close all of their discharge service valves. That should take care of the upstream side. But downstream the separator, the only service valve available is that at the remote condenser inlet. There is a discharge differential pressure regulator right downstream from the oil separator. It´s my understanding that this valve when energized, remains 100% open. It begins to close and create a pressure differential when de-energized during defrost. My question is: is it possible to somehow shut tight this regulator whith the system off, in order to isolate the oil separator from the condenser inlet side? Thank you.

Re: oil separator screen cleanning

Hi coldkeeper1
    The circuit needs to be isolated via a Ball Valve / Isolation valve, before working on.It may take longer but i would not rely on any other valve holding.
    Unless you have a very long pipe run, to the condenser you should carry out the repairs/maintenance in a few hours.
    With Kind regards
    Mark

Why do you need to open it?

What problems doe's it make?

Thank you very much for your comments.
    I´ve looking for any service shut-off valve downstream from the separator but there is none close by. The closest one is located at the condenser inlet connection, and that´s a lot of piping!!. As I wrote before, there is the discharge differential pressure regulator right downstream from the separator but I´m not sure it can be used as a shut-off. The problem I´m having is sluggish oil return to the compressors. I removed the in-line filter and it was partially plugged with sludge. I figured out that this same sludge might be accumulating at the separator bottom plate, maybe obstructing the needle/float valve that I´ve been told allows the oil to depart from the separator.