R410 compressor on R22 Split

Hi!

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous, but I'm new on the scene.

Dear members, what do you think of replacing a r22 compressor with a r410a one and charging it with r410a (after cleaning up all the fluid line), without changing any other part of the Split unit? Would you consider it safe, and will it work?

I know that Mitsubishi gives us the possibility of upgrading to a r410a equipment without having to change the copper tubing.

Re: R410 compressor on R22 Split

Short answer,
    NO, you can not retrofit R410a in to an A/C system designed for R22 by just changing the compressor.

The Mitsubishi idea that let you reuse the pipework is based on indoor and outdoor units both being replaced. (and there still are some restrictions on what pipework can safely be reused)

I agree with VIKING. You cant retrofit R410a in to an A/C system designed for R22 by just changing the compressor.But you may use a R410 compressor in R22 system (charged with R22). Two point:
    -you will have to change the compressor oil.
    -for 1 Kilowatt of cooling capacity R410 compressor displacement is 45% less than R22 compressor displacement

The Mitsubishi split systems are optamised for R410a refrigerant.
    The pressure switch safety cut out pressure will be much to low on an R22 unit.

However at least one budget manufacturer I know converted complete range of units from R22 to R410a by basically just changing the compressor & pressure switch & control circuit boards, although most of the units had no high pressure switch anyway.
    This can be proved by looking at the parts list for the R22 unit & R410a units. They prove that the two units were exactly the same except for the items above.

The manufacturer needed to continue making R22 equipment for parts of the world where R22 was still legal but also needed to provide units with R410a for parts of the world where R22 already banned.
    The short cut was to manufacture the same unit but with different comp, circuit board & pressure switch.
    The quality manufacturers do a complete redesign of the system & optamize components for best effeciency.

Your R22 system may not be rated for the higher operating pressure of R410a.
    Manufacturers should provide max safe working pressure data for units.
    High pressure cut out on R410a for split systems will be arround 40 to 42 bar.
    So you need to check this as it is very important health & safety issue.

Hi!

First of all, thank you for all your replies.

Thermatech, so you're saying it's possible...

I'll have to check the pipping for dimensions and thickness (follow manufacturers maximum pressure allowed), clean piping, change maximum pressure switch, retrofit compressor and charge it with R410a, right?

Quote Originally Posted by vmcacador View Post
    Hi!

First of all, thank you for all your replies.

Thermatech, so you're saying it's possible...

I'll have to check the pipping for dimensions and thickness (follow manufacturers maximum pressure allowed), clean piping, change maximum pressure switch, retrofit compressor and charge it with R410a, right?
    IF you decide to go down that route...

The FIRST thing to check is that the units themselves are rated for the pressures associated with R410a.
    (as stated by Thermatech)

Just because you change the HP switch it doesn't mean that the condensor coil becomes stronger.

Good luck.

If you change the refrigerant YOU will be legally liable.
    So if someone is injured because the indoor unit coil exploded even if it is rated for the extra pressure it will be YOU who will be defending at a court case.
    Because the Manufacturer will simply clame that the unit was not designed for that refrigerant.
    Manufacturers can spend massive amounts of money on best legal defence. Can you ?

Do you want to take that risk ?

So, if I would do the change, I'll have to have a written statement from the manufacturer saying that the unit would in fact be able to work safely, considering the high pressure required by the r410a fluid.

This is theoretical (speculation), but I wasn't aware of the possible legal consequences.

I'm not considering doing this, but I must admit, it crossed my mind and I wondered if it was at all possible.

Rest assure that I Won't be trying any of this.