Thread: Can I do this??

DaveDoesIT Guest

Can I do this??

Hi people, Just found this forum and it looks great. Here's my problem. I have a small under the counter bar fridge (maybe 4c-ft) that I would like to store red wine in at around 55-65 degrees. Because it is a normal refrigerator on it's lowest setting it gets much colder than that at around 40 deg. Can I use a process timer to continuously cycle the fridge power on and off? I would have to do it by trial and error to get the 60 deg norm I am after. Say turn on power to the fridge for 20 minutes then off for 40 then on for 20 , off for 40 and so forth. Thanks in advance for anything suggested. Dave

Re: Can I do this??

Fit a different thermostat. Your timeclock method won't take account of any restocking or door opening that may happen.
    Or buy the correct fridge

Jon

You still will not get a constant 55-60 F temp. I would just get a new t'stat with higher settings.

I'll also add this. Not knowing the equipment design criteria for this reach in, there could be system issues when you raise the temp. These issues could result in compressor failures.

But, if you have the unit and you don't want to spend extra bucks, give it a try.

DaveDoesIT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by powell View Post
    You still will not get a constant 55-60 F temp. I would just get a new t'stat with higher settings.
    Thanks Jon and Powell, I am not too concerned about constant but I am after cooler. I live in northern AZ where it 94 by 8:00am in Summer. Admittedly it stays around that temp for the most of the day, but it soaks through my 6" R2.9 walls and by evening it is about 84 in the house and thus so is the wine. Fortunately about then I get a cooling breeze to open up the house and bring it all down. OK, enough of the climate control. Jon: I already have the fridge and it has not been used for a year or so and the real wine fridge is $300+ and way out of a retired old fart's league. Powell: I had not realized I could get a different thermostat but will try the process timer (I already have one) and see what's what. If it kills the fridge no big deal but I will also see what brand it is and see if I can get that thermostat for a reasonable price. Thanks for the help and suggestions and I will report back. Dave

DaveDoesIT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    Fit a different thermostat.
    Hi Jon, Problem solved. I removed the thermostat and modified it to contact later. On the 4 setting I am now getting a stable 66 deg. Dave

Nice one

Jon