Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Mapp gas for brazing???

Hi Guys
    Update - the company I work for is in the process of issuing each tech with the Turbo 200 and just keeping a few BOC welding sets ( like 1/5). I have had one for a year now. One good trick I found with sweatting off a larger pipes is to use a Mapgas as well as the Turbo 200 (with the biggest tip), where I work there has to be a fire century for safety which makes it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    FSW do a oxy mapp set up that has a refillable oxy bottle and uses standard mapp bottles, theres no rental charge as you own the oxy bottle. Dave says its very good but i've not tried it yet. FSW and Climate do the smaller sets where both are disposable.
    Is that the microflame/scorpion set that HRP also do?

I was about to order the turbo 90 yesterday from SRW until stumbled across the 200, looks alot better piece of kit for the extra £70 or so with the gauges etc also will only have to buy the oxygen refills as already stock mapp like everyone else. Just need to find a supplier.

R11forreturn Guest

Just like Pooh, been in the business too many years(almost 30) and i have been brought up on oxy acetylene, and only use Mapp gas for drainage work, soft solder etc. Oxy gives a cleaner smaller, hotter, quicker flame and i certainly prefer it. As a manager i try and get all my engineers to do the same, but having just done my 2079Fgas i was quite surprised when i was asked to prove my brazing skill's with Mapp gas, the answer came back that if i could do it with Mapp gas then i'd be fine with Oxy.....
    i would always have both available as an engineer, both have their uses..

Mapp Gas.pdfhave u guys read the data sheet for mapp gas-be carefull-
    i aint missing out on overtime to go to ur funerals!

Quote Originally Posted by install monkey View Post
    Mapp Gas.pdfhave u guys read the data sheet for mapp gas-be carefull-
    i aint missing out on overtime to go to ur funerals!
    Stuff we get now called Mapp Pro is actually propylene and not methyl thingy anymore. Might still be nasty though.
    Mostly found in Oxfordshire, UK :)

Quote Originally Posted by superswill View Post
    mapp gas up to 5/8 then find this a great hand for doing pot changes and leaks (see pic) anything really big (and can park near) its the big boy bottles
    The slow boat from Europe got here and my local wholesaler is selling the oxyturbo turboset 200 now. ~ au$320 though, + $60 for the cylinders.

But bought one today because I have a welding job on a 2 storey roof to do, good incentive and the one job will pay for it.

Still don't think much of a stand alone mapp gas turbo torch to be useful for anything except 1/4" 3/8" 1/2", copper to copper though. Worth having one for those times, but I don't even think about using it for anything larger, or brass/steel etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paul_h; 17-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.

you can use MAPP gas just for soft drawn tubes, but in hard drawn oxy-acetylene still effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12