rosiepickle Guest

pierced ice cooler

Hi Guys,

i know this is going to sound really stupid, however I was trying to remove the ice from the sides of my ice cooler tray with a sharp knife, and i pierced the side. All of a sudden this gas(?!) came fizzing out. It had a really strong smell. I turned off the fridge at the mains.
    Is this gas dangerous?? Have I broken my fridge or just the ice cooling tray at the top?

ANY advice would be appreciated!!!!

Re: pierced ice cooler

Yes I would not breath it in and open doors to ventilate area. You have damaged your fridge as the aluminium coil you have pierced is very difficult to get a reliable gas leak free repair done.In my opinion repairs to the evaporator plate you have pierced are unsuccessful and would be a waste of money as they will not last, my advice is to get a new one.
    Transvestites are men who like to eat, drink, and be Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiepickle View Post
    Hi Guys,

i know this is going to sound really stupid, however I was trying to remove the ice from the sides of my ice cooler tray with a sharp knife, and i pierced the side. All of a sudden this gas(?!) came fizzing out. It had a really strong smell. I turned off the fridge at the mains.
    Is this gas dangerous?? Have I broken my fridge or just the ice cooling tray at the top?

ANY advice would be appreciated!!!!
    Rosie.
    Sadly as philfridge say's it's probaly terminal and certainly not cost effective to repair.

Grizzly
    Last edited by chillin out; 24-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.

Lightbulb Re: pierced ice cooler

Hi there. I guess that you are not a fridge engineer and so if you could repair your damaged evaporator you still would not be able to recharge it. However if you do know someone that can recharge it with the correct gas you could try mending the damage with an epoxy such as Araldite. I have done this sucessfully several times over the years. It is important to ensure that the area is dry and any oil that escaped with the refrigerant is cleaned up. Roughen the surface with emry cloth and leave the Araldite at least 24 hours to cure. The drier will need changing and the system evacuating before recharging. Good luck