mjsnow Guest

Smile Ice rink with Absorption chiller

Hi,
    New member, hoping you guys might be able to assist me with determining the tech specs for an absorption chiller.

I am designing an Ice rink that will operate using waste heat and an absorption chiller, but have no idea what type/size of chiller will be suitable, but i do know that it is possible to run a rink this way as there are several in operation Globally. I understand there will be many out there who ask "why am i doing this instead of using an electrically powered unit", there are several reasons which i can go later into if anyone is interested.

I have been told that if i were to use a standard VC plant in this installation i would need approximately a 100 ton system.

Sorry for the lack of information, i am putting this together as i go along. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mjsnow

Re: Ice rink with Absorption chiller

I Work On Abo's As A Form Of A/c But Have Never Heard Of Them Used Below About 4 Degrees.would Love To Hear More On This. What Refrigerant Do They Use And Do You Have The Ptx Chart For It. Cheers

mjsnow Guest

google "great neck ice rink tecogen" for some more info on a similar system (sorry this thing won't let me post URL's) this is slightly different to the one i wish to design but is an absorption chiller.

mjsnow Guest

Apologies, the google search should be, "cogeneration ice rink" first article, this is the absorption facility, the great neck facility uses a natural gas powered engine producing electricity to run a compressor..... It's been a long week ;-)

A standard Li-Br absorption uses water as the refrigerant and Li-Br as the transport agent and is limited in application to temperatues to keep the water from freezing or about 42 dF leaving water or brine.

The get temperatures to freeze the ice, you will have to go to an ammonia absorption unit where the ammonia is the refrigerant and the water is the transport agent. Problem is a ammonia absorption plant will typically cost 5 to 8 times the cost of a mechanical plant. The C.O.P of the absorber is also lower than the mechanical.

Now you can run a Li-Br chiller from the engine exhaust heat and use the chilled water as the condenser water on a glycol chiller for the rink. You will need to hire an experienced refrigeration engineering consultant...not not you local York, Carrier or Trane rep...to design an analyze the system and cost of operation and installation.

Generally unless you are getting a great rebate from your local gas provider, it will be hard to get a decent payback on the toping system.

Ken

Vapour absorption chiller with Lithium bromide water is commercially available in the market.As the system uses water as refrigerant going below 4 degree C is not feasible.
    For ICE rink either ammonia water with ammonia as refrigerant and water as absorber can be used to get minus 10 degree C which may still be inadequate as minus 15 degree C is ideal for the ICE RINK

Anything you buy will be a one of. Which means limited to no support and long lead times on parts. It will have to be NH3/H2O design. York has made them in the past for various applications. The price will be thru the roof. JMHO

1khurramshahzad Guest

dear all
    hope fully u are all fine dear i am facing some problem please help me if some one has informationthat how we can calculate the gas consumption of gas direct fired absorption chiller (water lithium bromide) please reply me i will be ver thank full to you

regards

khurram shahzad

EverythingIce Guest

go to: arenawatch dot org

Depending upon how much excess/type energy you have, you could look at using at multi stage TVR, (Thermal Vapor Recompression), system