Smile Construction of new Cold Store

Hi guys,
    My company is planning to construct a 22000 cubic meter cold store to store 8000 MT (2 stores of 4000 MT each) of frozen fish at -20 degree celcius. Ambient temp is 35C and RH 65%. Can anybody suggest me the best suitable type of refrigeration and brand of equipmet for this project which is readly available.
    Cheers..
    Lal Thomas

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Construction of new Cold Store

We have to ask, "What is the available equipment in Nigeria?"
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Thumbs up Re: Construction of new Cold Store

Quote Originally Posted by lalthomas View Post
    Hi guys,
    My company is planning to construct a 22000 cubic meter cold store to store 8000 MT (2 stores of 4000 MT each) of frozen fish at -20 degree celcius. Ambient temp is 35C and RH 65%. Can anybody suggest me the best suitable type of refrigeration and brand of equipmet for this project which is readly available.
    Cheers..
    Lal Thomas
    Welcome Lal.
    None of the engineers on this forum will (nor should they) specify a particular manufacturer.
    As the forum then becomes a sales tool for whoever anyone works for. Which destroys the whole object of this forum!
    If Companies wish to advertise then they should speak to the boss Webram!
    Personally though with a project of that size I would recommend an Ammonia Plant.

Cheers Grizzly

Thanks.. We are looking for global sourcing. Infact there is nothing available in Nigeria. One company represents Sabroe and some other small firms, but everything has to come from outside.

Dear lalthomas
    I´m working in a cold store at -28°C plus dock area
    40 mx40m x 12m =20000m3
    The cold store will be located in a urban area so we selected R404A. May be if it will be located outside the city you could use ammonia

We are using a rack of 5 compresor (screw) with economixer

Regards
    Gwapa

Quote Originally Posted by gwapa View Post
    Dear lalthomas
    May be if it will be located outside the city you could use ammonia

Regards
    Gwapa
    GWPA
    I assume by this statement.
    You don't work with Ammonia?
    Grizzly

Dear Mr lal,

If your project is coming outside the city, I prefer ammonia based with liquid recirculation plant. If the plant in the city you prefebly go with R404A refrigerant.
    I have much experience in Ammonia plants.

raj

We had done a project in Nigeria & have given offers to few more. If you can PMS me,. we can discuss it further

Dear Mr. Lal,

We are using Screw as well as Reciprocating compreesor for the same based on ammonia.

You can use private message service.

Mr Gwapa,
    Thanks for the information. Our plant too is within the city only.

why not go really eco-freindly and try CO2 low stage and 404a high side, CO2 is readily available, plus super efficient and inexpensive.
    magoo

What's not eco-friendly about ammonia?
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Alberrto Mayer Guest

Dear Laltomas

I strongly suggest you to use ammonia and a pump recirculation system. To be located inside a city is no reason for not using that refrigerant, which besides of being natural is very efficient. There are many contractors available to built a plant using that refrigerant under safety conditions.

Looking the ambient temperature and relative humidity you are able use evaporative condensation operating at 35gradC , assuming you have fresh water available.

Best Regards
    Alberto Mayer

Nothing wrong with ammonia in a city, provide is it is installed and operated correctly. As for equipment, the larger players are Frick, FES-GEA and Mycom. There are number of others such as Sabroe (owned by York last I heard), Vilter and Hasegawa.

Generally the way to build a plant is to hire a consultant to develop your specifications and go out for bids on the whole facility and select a general contractor who will work with one or several refrigeration contractors. You can have some input as to the acceptable manufacturers.

A good consultant wil; be familiar with the equipment and manufacturers and where they best fit.

Ken

I readily and totally agree with using ammonia within a city application. But in Nigeria, where everything is outsourced and probably includes serviceing. Currently working in Asia, a country light years ahead in technology by comparison. Given the huge enthusiasom, not the language problem. I am having a lot of greif, and it is in a city enviroment to boot.
    Now do you all begin to understand my earlier post ?.
    Open for more comment please.
    Magoo

Hi, lalthomas

Thanks.. We are looking for global sourcing. Infact there is nothing available in Nigeria. One company represents Sabroe and some other small firms, but everything has to come from outside.
    ... everything is very simple...

... you have to import everything.... assume that cold store isn't within downtown ... then ammonia is the best ... of course you must follow safety regulations regarding ammonia ....

... good advice is this ...

Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman
    Generally the way to build a plant is to hire a consultant to develop your specifications and go out for bids on the whole facility and select a general contractor who will work with one or several refrigeration contractors. You can have some input as to the acceptable manufacturers.

A good consultant wil; be familiar with the equipment and manufacturers and where they best fit.
    .... my advice .... stay away of cheap offers... you not need a bad cold store, but good, long lasting one ....

if still in doubt .... put a question here ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

has any of the participants in this post actually worked internationally, outside your comfort zone, and a long way from your computer room.
    Hands-up those that listen to international news reports. Not-a-lot I think, [outside your comfort zone ].
    Nigera is the kidnap for ransom capital in the world, Oil companies have left the place, corruption is rampant, the country is bankrupt, add that most internet scams start in Nigeria.
    Get the big picture.
    A collegue was there for 2 months, he muttered alot,shook continually and dribbled alot, when he got home. After RR he said " nightmare on elm street" was a walk in the park by comparison. Sleeping with hand gun, with one eye open and in a compound similar to a prison with the prisoners on the outside. Armed guards at all times, and shelling out money [USD] constantly to get things done, his company lost their shirt on the whole experience.
    magoo

I know at least on the participants in this thread has traveled to many locations for work. It would be interesting to see the viewpoints of others on this subject (perhaps by starting a new thread, which I will do).
    If all else fails, ask for help.

I think the ***** system is suitable.
    Last edited by ntfreezer; 19-07-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Lalthomas,

Check your Private Messages.

chill2freeze Guest

We are constructing a cold storage in India with total storage capacity of 8000 tons of potatoes. we invite suggetions and views of our friends on RE to assist and quote us for the same

chill2 freeze...I will repeat the same answer for you and I strongly urge you to hire a qualified consultant rather than try to poor-boy it and depend on some unqualified contractors.

Nothing wrong with ammonia in a city, provide is it is installed and operated correctly. As for equipment, the larger players are Frick, FES-GEA and Mycom. There are number of others such as Sabroe (owned by York last I heard), Vilter and Hasegawa.

A good consultant will be familiar with the equipment and manufacturers and where they best fit.

Ken

we had experience in bulk potaitos storage and we con do all the specificatiiosns and supply since Argentina
    See our page arceyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar and if want contac wit me
    Ing Luis M, Arce

we are a engeeniering grup that are doing cold rooms in a turn key systems. At this time we are doing a complete plant in Buenos Aires for 4000 pallets of 1000 Kg each of fried poates frozen ( -25ºC) 80 meters lenght, 30 meters wide and 14 meters hight. We did 20 years ago a frozen fish walk in cooler in ABBA. If yo want see our page arceyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar and contact wtih me in arceyasociados(arroba)arceyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar
    regards Luis M. Arce