Thread: Co2

Question Co2

I know Co2 was used years ago and is used today on industrial plants but has anybody worked on, designed, heard of or have seen any commercial plants using carbon dioxide as a low stage refrigerant on say a supermarket or small to medium coldstore?

My company is currently tossing up the idea of trialling a low temp rack on Co2 , approx 70 to 80 KW, -30 deg C SST, -10 deg C SCT using med temp rack as high stage/heat exchanger.
    Theres gotta be a few out there already, what are the pros and cons?
    It'll be weird to have a system that increases pressure on the hi side when it shuts down. Apparently we are looking at about one sixth the plant size than on R404a, thats gotta be some $$$ savings. Was thinking we should run it off the high temp rack and use -10 deg C liquid and pump it to our med temp cases, save more on refrigerant seeing we were quoted $5 per Kg for (not sure if this is correct) anhydrous medical Co2?!? You could even have propylene glycol pumped to med temp cases and CO2 heat exchanger, refrigerated by high temp rack... If you wanted to stock every fluid known to man.

I have somewhere literature in a Dutch refrigeration magazine where they describe a setup of a small CO2 plant for a supermarket. I think it was for the groep Albert Hein. Unfortunately, the article will be written in Dutch.
    They used it in the 1st circuit which cooled glycol for the 2nd circuit. I don't know what kind of compressor you have to use but I don't think you can use anything of the standard stuff.

http://www.ahold.com/aholdinsociety/...rigeration.asp gives some common information, not technical.
    I think it was the Cpy GTI ( www.gti-group.com )who did the installation.
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter_1; 06-11-2003 at 02:27 PM.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Bitzer now manufacture compressors for CO2, and I've seen a Danfoss TUAE valve with a CO2 power element charge, soon to be available as well

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Sounds like a PED nightmare..........!
    ________
    amber trichomes
    Last edited by Argus; 07-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.

kiwi001 Guest

Re: Co2

I have come across a two stage CO2 supermarket trialled in denmark approx 3 years ago. I have also seen light commercial applications trialled using CO2. I belive Sanyo and Danfoss are both building CO2 compressors.

Wink Re: Co2

Hey,my company have done a lot off works with CO2,compressor developements,valves,also for RAC-plants,infact there are still som problems
    with lubrication system for fast revolving CO2 compr.
    For the aircondition in vehicles we are more satisfied .Standard CO2 plant
    could easily be better if you use gascooler ex(produce hotwater) before
    condenser.We also have been testing 2-stage transcritical prosess it seems
    to give a good COP compared to 404/410.
    hilsen gunnar.lohse@energy.sintef.no.