Leak Checking 404A and 507

We deal with a lot of Warehouse supermarkets were the systems hold sometimes 400-1500# of 507 or 404. What do you guys do for leak checking? I found that Leak detectors give off a false sense.

We have been adding around 50#s of 22 to the system and using Halides. We find that we find the leaks more effiencient and no harm is done to the system. We actually picked this up from Hussmann.

Re: Leak Checking 404A and 507

This - adding R22 - is strictly forbidden in Europe my friend.
    I have no problems finding leaks with a good leak checker, I had several ZX-1's ,some CPS but stick now since some years with Inficon.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

I've had my old style TIF leak detector for a while and it's done well.
    I think you need to learn how to interpret your own electronic leak detector.
    God I think I've heard some with some quite fancy tunes, that make customers spin around in a flash, with some of these eletronic leak detectors.
    The best leak detector once was when I was leak checking a plantroom of a supermarket and there was a fire in the main switchboard in the other side of the building. Once all the power tripped, the lights went out and it was all quiet, I could hear the slight hissing sound at the far end of the plantroom, bingo.

Did you know you are contaminating your systems oil by adding R22, definatly not a good pratice.Small leaks are always dificult to locate,but there are various methodes such as adding dye compatable with your oil, it might also be worth investing in one of the new types of detector like heated pentode to cut down on false readings.Also check your sensing tip as they have a liftime depending on type.

yeah its not the brightest idea to go adding 22 to a 404 or 507 system - although it does nothing to the pressures due to the volume of refrigerant the system holds it really is poor practice - if Hussmann does this then thats up to them - they have a REALLY bad reputation in my country and based on what I know about them I wouldn't go rushing out to replicate their service practices (nor would I follow their engineering guidelines). As others have suggested - get used to your leak detector or get one that you can handle and learn to adapt to.
    ...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"

Peter Maimonis Guest

i generally use arglo dye used onr134a systems is this dye compatible to r404 systems