tiggla01 Guest

Question converting refrigerant volume to mass

I'm looking for a formula to convert the volume of refrigerant to the mass of the refrigerant. I realize that the density of the refrigerant varies with the temperature. Is there a formula that will give the mass if I can provide the following inputs: volume, density & temperature. How does this vary by the refrigerant? Are there any papers/publications that discuss this topic.

Is it a simple algebraic equation like I've listed below.

Mass = (volume transfered) x (density of refrigerant) x (temp correction factor)

or is it more complex?

I would like to do this for a few popular refrigerants including R22, R-134a, and R404a.

Blog Entries

Re: converting refrigerant volume to mass

Quote Originally Posted by tiggla01 View Post
    I'm looking for a formula to convert the volume of refrigerant to the mass of the refrigerant. I realize that the density of the refrigerant varies with the temperature. Is there a formula that will give the mass if I can provide the following inputs: volume, density & temperature. How does this vary by the refrigerant? Are there any papers/publications that discuss this topic.

Is it a simple algebraic equation like I've listed below.

Mass = (volume transfered) x (density of refrigerant) x (temp correction factor)

or is it more complex?

I would like to do this for a few popular refrigerants including R22, R-134a, and R404a.
    You can do that in COOLPACK software (free).

Re: converting refrigerant volume to mass

Your best source of info will be the refrigerant tables for for any given refrigerant. They list the properties at saturation temperatures so that you can find the density at any given saturation temperature.

Or,

You can use programs to do the same thing.

Or,

You can simply use the inverse of the volume known refrigerant volume to find the density; 1/Volume = Density & 1/density = Volume

If you are trying to calculate the refrigerant charge of a system then you have to do more calculations to find the total mass of refrigerant.
    If all else fails, ask for help.