Just wanted to see what others have come across in regards to this subject. I have a water sample from a new site (under 1 year old) that has had some issues of late, I will be sending it away to check pH, calcium levels (hardness) and all the other goodies.

The site has bitzer water cooled condensers with recycled water used in the condenser water system yes that is like water that has gone down the drain, to a treatment plant and then pumped back for reuse in applications that don't involve human consumption.

The condensers have steel 1/4"BSP fittings in the end plates, two of these have been corroded away and have let go and spewed water all through the plant rooms, quite a site to see (actually have a video of it I may upload). I have just gone and replaced them all with brass fittings, the remaining fittings basically disintegrated as I removed them.

The towers are not controlled by us, we are supplied a designated volume at a designated temp, the towers, make up water system and treatment are supplied by the shopping centre. Other systems on the water circuit are A/C and do not run nearly as much as our supermarket refrig racks, so the issue is showing up on our equipment first. My fear is that all of our steel fittings and the condensers themselves will also begin seeing the affects.

Has anyone ever had steel corrode in their water systems so darn quickly? This site is barely over 6 months old. If so what did you find was the cause and what did you do about it?