Condenser water causing corrosion

Just wanted to see what others have come across in regards to this subject. I have a water sample from a new site (under 1 year old) that has had some issues of late, I will be sending it away to check pH, calcium levels (hardness) and all the other goodies.

The site has bitzer water cooled condensers with recycled water used in the condenser water system yes that is like water that has gone down the drain, to a treatment plant and then pumped back for reuse in applications that don't involve human consumption.

The condensers have steel 1/4"BSP fittings in the end plates, two of these have been corroded away and have let go and spewed water all through the plant rooms, quite a site to see (actually have a video of it I may upload). I have just gone and replaced them all with brass fittings, the remaining fittings basically disintegrated as I removed them.

The towers are not controlled by us, we are supplied a designated volume at a designated temp, the towers, make up water system and treatment are supplied by the shopping centre. Other systems on the water circuit are A/C and do not run nearly as much as our supermarket refrig racks, so the issue is showing up on our equipment first. My fear is that all of our steel fittings and the condensers themselves will also begin seeing the affects.

Has anyone ever had steel corrode in their water systems so darn quickly? This site is barely over 6 months old. If so what did you find was the cause and what did you do about it?

...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"

Exclamation Re: Condenser water causing corrosion

Hi,

This is common to watercooled condensers especially when they overlooked the quality of water as the cooling media. Quality of water must be checked becauise as I understand in you post, it's recycled. The water is treated wih some chemicals which are harmful to metals like chlorine ions which is common.

water analysis is urgently needed to counteract this corossion

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Condenser water causing corrosion

Is there a possibility of electrolysis happening in the system?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

hmmm, not sure mate. Any ideas on how this would work, as far as I understand electrolysis is created when passing a current through water, although this is not impossible in the situation I am just wondering how it could occur, bad earthing?

I'm thinking its got to do with the poor water quality and possibly incorrect treatment of that water. Will know more after some test results
    ...and she said "give it to me you big fridgie"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 750 Valve View Post
    hmmm, not sure mate. Any ideas on how this would work, as far as I understand electrolysis is created when passing a current through water, although this is not impossible in the situation I am just wondering how it could occur, bad earthing?

I'm thinking its got to do with the poor water quality and possibly incorrect treatment of that water. Will know more after some test results

If water is oxygenated corrosion is much faster.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Different metals in the same water system can will generate the electrical charge needed to erode metals.

It is an unlikely thing to happens, but you never know.....
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Wink Re: Condenser water causing corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Different metals in the same water system can will generate the electrical charge needed to erode metals.

It is an unlikely thing to happens, but you never know.....
    Hi,

If different metals is connected in the system and the cooling media enters to different circuits, it can be if the pH value of the water is in acidity range that results electrolysis.

But, we still need the results of the water analysis from 750 valve.

However, since the system is in condensation, some cooling media evaporates causing it the water to partly concentrated. then goes back to treatment circuit. We don't know what type of treatment they're doing but analysing to be like this, the probability of not maintaing the pH value to atleast 4-7 (alkaline) were likely a result of corossion and oxidation.

thanks for the replies and suggestions guys, I will be able to give a little more info soon when we get the results back from the analysis. Until then heres a little vid for you of it " blowing its load", note its not great quality (mobile phone) and it is not me laughing in it, its the store manager

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t...05-08_2007.flv