Dyno Guest

Unhappy vaccuming after installation of compressor

hi guys.......i'm new here and in need of some help.After installation of a new compressor for a client, my friend left the company for a better job and i'm stuck with this unfinished work. i'm new to this and right now i need to do the vaccuming of the system before i pump in the R22.Help me guys.....i've got 2 more days to complete everything

Re: vaccuming after installation of compressor

Are you allowed to work on refridgeration equipment?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Are you allowed to work on refridgeration equipment?
    I think he is, at least, allowed to learn about that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    I think he is, at least, allowed to learn about that.
    In Holland, no STEK, no touching, just looking!

STEK is a Dutch diploma stating that you know how to safely work on and with refridgeration equipment (Put simple). Without this you're not allowed to work on the equipment unless supervised by a certified engineer.

When you're a certified engineer you would know how to vacuum out a system!

Blog Entries

In Holland, no STEK, no touching, just looking!

STEK is a Dutch diploma stating that you know how to safely work on and with refridgeration equipment (Put simple). Without this you're not allowed to work on the equipment unless supervised by a certified engineer.

When you're a certified engineer you would know how to vacuum out a system!
    I know lot of people who have such a diploma (how to safely work on and with refrigeration equipment) and don't have a clue how to correctly vacuum out system!
    On the other hand, I personally, don't have any diploma, certificate etc... (except from Bitzer, Fujitsu, Galletti courses), and most of knowledge of my "tutors" and official tutors (where you get such a certificate or diploma here) is simply put "on wrong foundations".
    But, following good books and resources like this one, I think that I am qualified enough to work safely and to do more than just looking!
    Last edited by nike123; 11-05-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post
    I know lot of people who have such a diploma (how to safely work on and with refrigeration equipment) and don't have a clue how to correctly vacuum out system!
    On the other hand, I personally, don't have any diploma, certificate etc..., and most of knowledge of my "tutors" and official tutors (where you get such a certificate or diploma here) is simply put "on wrong foundations".
    But, following good books and resources like this one, I think that I am qualified enough to work safely and to do more than just looking!
    Thinking you know enough isn't enough in Holland!

Working on refridgeration equipment without STEK is a punishable environmental crime.

I do agree there are "cowboys" out there even with STEK.

For the exam you have to pass 3 parts. Part 1 is theoratical exam, part 2 mounting and brazing of equipment, part 3 handling of equipment.

Part 1 consists of 30 questions about safe handling, law and a couple general questions about pressure testing and the likes.

Part 2 requires you make a couple of flares, mounting piping, brazing a TXV in position, brazing a copper/copper joint, a copper/iron joint and a couple of copper/brass joints and pressure test it afterwards. Upon completion the examinator will do a second pressure test and if you pass you'll have to take everything apart and saw all brazed joint in halve to show that the brazing has ran through for at least 95%.

Part 3 starts with pressure testing a split ac. Afterwards you'll have to vacuum it out. After completing this part you get a small cooling chamber with a cooling unit.
    You'll have to start it up and do measurments (SH, SC, discharge pressure and temp, suction pressure and temp, liquid temp, condensor and evaporator in/out).
    After that you have to, safely, remove all refridgerant from the sytem. When that's completed you have to put the refridgerant back in a start up the system again and do the measurements again. Between each step you have to check with the examinator before going to the next step.

I don't know about other countries, but I think in Holland we have a pretty high standard and upon completion the commisioning and de-commissioning shouldn't be a problem!
    Last edited by Lowrider; 12-05-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

As the man says, if you having got a Refrigerant Safe Handling ticket then you can't work on this system.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Daschlong Guest

Right if you are not sure get someone who is sure or knows how to do it

Part 2 requires you make a couple of flares, mounting piping, brazing a TXV in position, brazing a copper/copper joint, a copper/iron joint and a couple of copper/brass joints and pressure test it afterwards. Upon completion the examinator will do a second pressure test and if you pass you'll have to take everything apart and saw all brazed joint in halve to show that the brazing has ran through for at least 95%.
    I wish they would implement this in the States. I mostly work on cascades. When I get a new guy in he usually comes from the residential AC world where soft solder is the king. They cant braze worth a crap. The will take a MAPP gas torch and 15% silver braze and "GOOP" it up on the joint. It will look like a bad icing job on a cake. It will hold pressure on it for a day or two, then the vibrations will make it crack. Normally it takes me about two weeks to get them to where the can use the real torch correctly.