Ok, So Service These!!!! Picture Attached!!!

OK SO I WAS PHOTOGRAPHING THE HAWK IN THE FORGROUND.
    BUT JUST EXPLAIN HOW DOES ANYONE SERVICE THESE CONDESING UNITS.

notice the little ledges for each unit?
    Grizzly

Re: Ok, So Service These!!!! Picture Attached!!!

I got the number for a good scaffolding company, should you need it!

Hi Grizzly You put on a harness and use the legendary sky hook.

Oh, Grizzly bear, tie you on rubber.

Hmmm... Looks like you might need some kind of high viz vest to protect you
    Karl

So ,,, which Bear has been visiting HK recently then ?
    Glad to say, I see dozens of these birds daily over East Kowloon side. I had wondered what kind of raptor they were.
    Somebody thought thye were sea harriers , others some kind of kestrel.

In terms of servicing the condensers in my building, I have seen the National-Panasonic guys attach their safety ropes to steel eyelets set in the concrete and literally abseil out my window! No joking!
    All 54 floors get serviced in same way!

regards
    T-P
    Remember what Augustus once said:
    "festina lente" - make haste, slowly!

Hi, Grizzly

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post

Grizzly
    Are you sure that hawk is not a flying service engineer ... ... or maybe only a supervisor for guys from TP post

Quote Originally Posted by thermo prince
    ...seen the National-Panasonic guys attach their safety ropes to steel eyelets set in the concrete and literally abseil out my window! No joking!...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Glad to say, I see dozens of these birds daily over East Kowloon side. I had wondered what kind of raptor they were.

Hello Thermo Prince,
    I too was wondering about the bird.
    Have the dozens you've seen got a white bar running left to right across the lower part of the tail. If so do you see them in groups or always solitary.

The picture I saw is intriguing because the feathers splayed out like fingers at the end of the wings is more like an eagle.

So, Grizzly or Thermo Prince, do you know what this bird is?

Blog Entries

Grizzly
    I do service on units like this almost every week. It is easy when you don't have any fear of height and owner who is naive enough to believe that you could do it without any safety measure.

You just go on sill, and keep your weight with one hand, and other hand keep and work with tools.

Main problem is with spectators. They thing that someone want to kill himself, if you don't convince them in opposite, wit style!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Hello Thermo Prince,
    Have the dozens you've seen got a white bar running left to right across the lower part of the tail. If so do you see them in groups or always solitary.

The picture I saw is intriguing because the feathers splayed out like fingers at the end of the wings is more like an eagle.

I am sure that this was main concern of original poster!

Thumbs up Re: OK, So Service These!!!! Picture Attached!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thermo prince View Post
    So ,,, which Bear has been visiting HK recently then ?
    Somebody thought they were sea harriers , others some kind of kestrel.

In terms of servicing the condensers in my building, I have seen the National-Panasonic guys attach their safety ropes to steel eyelets set in the concrete and literally abseil out my window! No joking!
    All 54 floors get serviced in same way!

regards
    T-P
    Not many "fridgies" can claim to be proficient at abseiling surely.
    Yes T-P, 2 weeks ago I was sailing around the harbour photographing all manner of things.

I don't know what the bird is and as you can see the other 2 additional pictures I have a just as vague!
    Over the weekend I will review my video camera footage as I might have better stills available from that?
    I must say it was a beautiful bird similar to what I might call a red kite.
    But it might just as well been some sort of eagle?

T-P I was totally bowled over by Hong Kong
    and would recommend anyone visits it.
    Mind you the extremely good exchange rate did help sweeten things.
    Having said that we flew out on the Saturday Night of your last typhoon.
    Level 3 was raised which apparently is not very high.
    High enough for me. It's a long time since I have seen rain and wind like it!

I must admit I do have some more pics of A/C sad I know.
    But I now am beginning to understand the reason for the high demand for everything A/C within the Southern Hemisphere.
    Mr Daikin and Mr Mitsubishi seem to of done rather well.
    So next time you feel hard done by Guys just think of the repair guys of Hong Kong.
    I now believe that picture of the Guy suspended over a balcony many floors up.
    With 2 guys each holding a leg that was in the ACR NEWS.

And yes I actually managed to photograph a Wheelie Bin in Hong Kong. ( Those that remember the joke will understand)

Happy Days cheers Grizzly

I was on holiday in Portugal in 2006 and stayed in a building a bit smaller than the one in Grizzly`s pic.

We complained to the hotel that our a/c in the room didnt work and they sent a repairman after two days.

Two men appeared,one armed with a saw and proceeded to cut the pipes,they then unbolted the condensing unit and pushed a new one out over the ledge.This was 6 floors up with one man holding onto the other one by his belt.Very scary stuff.

Later on that week,the bar fridge stopped working.The same repairman came,he cut off the plug and put a new one on.The fridge didnt work so they threw it in the skip.

Its amazing how people work in different countries.
    If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Damo

Re: OK, So Service These!!!! Picture Attached!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
    I was on holiday in Portugal in 2006 and stayed in a building a bit smaller than the one in Grizzly`s pic.

We complained to the hotel that our a/c in the room didn't work and they sent a repairman after two days.

Two men appeared,one armed with a saw and proceeded to cut the pipes,they then unbolted the condensing unit and pushed a new one out over the ledge.This was 6 floors up with one man holding onto the other one by his belt.Very scary stuff.

Later on that week,the bar fridge stopped working.The same repairman came,he cut off the plug and put a new one on.The fridge didn't work so they threw it in the skip.

Its amazing how people work in different countries.
    Yep! And I bet they don't worry whether they have purged their hoses???
    Grizzly

Re: OK, So Service These!!!! Picture Attached!!!

Not many "fridgies" can claim to be proficient at abseiling surely.
    Yes T-P, 2 weeks ago I was sailing around the harbour

T-P I was totally bowled over by Hong Kong
    and would recommend anyone visits it.
    Mind you the extremely good exchange rate did help sweeten things.

Happy Days cheers Grizzly
    Hi Grizz, too bad you did not send me PM in advance of your visit and perhaps we could have met in the legendary Wanchai district for a few drinks - the Old China Hand bar or Delaney Irish Pub. They got drinks from around the world - incl Boddingtons, Kilkenny, Guinness and a few nice English ciders too! May make you feel at home!

If any boys from RE visiting this city, let me know by PM and we can see if chance to meet up.

This weekend the USS Kitty Hawk has docked so Wanchai is flooded with some 6000++ sex-starved crew. It's boom time down red light area - the hookers are taking their grannies out of retirement to cope with the trade, with or w/o the false teeth ! Yeee haaaaw

regards
    T-P

Hi Expat - I dont know what kind of bird they are but am interested. I see them circle in groups of 2 ~ 5 at dawn or before sundown. Not sure if that is parents and offspring. I believe they are nesting on a forested hillside nearby where I live.

I see you stopped by HK on your holiday to australia.
    How was your holiday?
    Those high rises with condensing units out there are insane, but common in asia. Occupational health and safety laws would prevent most of that in the western world these days, but try telling architects that!
    Similar sights are starting to appear more and more in austraila. Either older high rises where the owner want to fit an a/c (when there's never been a provision for it as the building is 30y old), or new 3-5 story buildings where they cared more about design and cost then doing things properly or safely.

Thumbs up Re: Ok, So Service These!!!! Picture Attached!!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    I see you stopped by HK on your holiday to Australia.
    How was your holiday?
    Those high rises with condensing units out there are insane, but common in Asia. Occupational health and safety laws would prevent most of that in the western world these days, but try telling architects that!
    Similar sights are starting to appear more and more in Australia. Either older high rises where the owner want to fit an a/c (when there's never been a provision for it as the building is 30y old), or new 3-5 story buildings where they cared more about design and cost then doing things properly or safely.
    Hi Paul.
    I did it the other way around. Oz via Singapore and back via H.K.
    You are not wrong some of the photos from Singapore beggar belief as well.
    As to OZ I could not believe the growth rate about the only place we visited that wasn't expanding at an alarming rate. Was Ayres Rock and even that was highly commercial.
    By the way Sod the PC Brigade Roo meat is superb!
    And Barra I loved.
    Missing it already!
    On the AC front I was slightly miffed when discussing with my brother who lives in a buet Queenslander house.
    The fact that he had a relatively new install in his bedroom.
    When I asked "did you have trouble getting someone to install it?"
    He replayed "Nah the local Electrician did it, you don't need a fridge engineer. Only an Electrician to comply with the Electrical Regs"
    In fact as far as I could tell you could by AC from a local shop??.... Discuss.

I did get the feeling however That it did depend on where you were. I suspect it might be a different case in the Cities?

Cheers Grizzly

Any electrical retailer will sell you an air con (except daikin brand).
    A sparky can do a short course and be qualified to install air cons. A refrigeration tech can not install air cons unless they do a full electrical apprenticeship on top of their refrig training, (normally 4 years, but maybe 3 years), then sit for an electrical contractors qualification to work unsupervised.

No install work for me because electricians can do it all if they've done the a/c installers short course.
    No one cares in the government, the rules to control refrigerants are written by electricians and mechanics.
    The only real restrictions that need higher qualifications here is refrigerant purchasing. As a/cs are precharged, installers slip underneath the net with just a short course.
    They have to be fully qualified in electrical work though...

Refrig techs can't repair car a/cs either without being "trained" by the auto mechanic authorities, this trade has no power or voice here. More plumbers and electricians install domestic splits than refrig techs do.
    Any reading of my posting history will say that I've allways told everyone that this is the case here.

Edit:
    I love the roo meat too, really melts in your mouth compared to chewy or gristly steak for the same money $14/kg roo is way better than $14/kg steak. Fish is great here too!
    Last edited by paul_h; 01-05-2008 at 06:31 PM.

You are correct in what you are saying paul , there are a few proposals put to the goverment at this stage to protect our trade for our own kind as the electrical trade is protected for them.

The automotive industry does have a voice which is VASA
    http://www.vasa.org.au/
    and at the moment audits are happening in this sector , especially on farms , where they do most of the work themselves.
    Farmers just west of where i live have the instructions on the bottle of refrigerant on how to top a system up , without finding a leak or repairing it first.
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Hard to say for sure but the bird looks like a BLACK kite - looks like the white patches of the red kite are missing. See this page for info
    http://www.gigrin.co.uk/redkite.html
    It makes claims that black kite have been seen in HK between the tower blocks.

Hi guys,

The just have to give the windowcleaners a refrigeration course so when he's up there to clean the windows he can do the job en we can support him from the ground hahahahaha lol.

Greets

Hi Grizz and Expat,

I think we got a name for these ....

http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/green/birds/en/bird_2.html

Lots of these birds circling around the city these days ,,, not sure when they hatch but imagine there's some '2008 apprentices' with L plates out with the parents!

regards
    TP

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Hello Thermo Prince,

last time i checked, this was a refrigeration forum, not ornithology uk.

The only bird watching i do is from the roof when i'm servicing chillers. the birds i watch are normally indoors
    Never underestimate anybody, you never know when they will make you look like an idiot!