pollypom Guest

Hotpoint Mistral: copper dust (?) inside freezer

Hello everyone,

I inherited a hotpoint mistral from father in law when he updated his kitchen. So far it's been ok (read this forum a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the amount of problems people have with it!)

Until a few weeks ago, when I noticed stuff in the freezer was getting frost on it (its meant to be a frost free!?) I came on this forum, and read all the mistral threads, and thought, ok I'll turn it off, take off the back panel and see what I can see.

I was expecting to see loads of ice or something, but there wasn't really - I mean there was a bit here and there, but nothing major.

However, there loads of what looks like orangy dust over the inside of the freezer, and particularly behind the panel at the back which I removed. It looks like copper dust I think, and it seems that the fan has been blowing it round the inside of the freezer. Was going to try and remove the next panel too, but some of it seems to be made of polystyrene, and I was a bit reluctant to start fiddling in case I damaged it.

Any ideas what's going on??

All help/advice very greatly appreciated!

Polly

pollypom Guest

Re: Hotpoint Mistral: copper dust (?) inside freezer

Forgot to say.... the temperature is fine, freezer at
    -22, fridge at +4.
    Cheers

update..... just had a look at the fan. It looks like the piece of metal that holds it in place is rusty. So that explains the copper coloured dust.
    Is this something I should worry about? eg do I need to replace it or get a new fridge?
    Any ideas would be lovely, thanks.
    Last edited by pollypom; 26-04-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: had a closer look

should be no problem is it the fan motor that is rusty if so best to replace it as will help to blow the coldest though

pollypom Guest

Hi,
    Don't think its the motor that's rusty, seems to be a piece of metal that bolts the fan in place (I hope!)
    Cheers
    Polly

Quote Originally Posted by pollypom View Post
    Hi,
    Don't think its the motor that's rusty, seems to be a piece of metal that bolts the fan in place (I hope!)
    Cheers
    Polly

If its the bracket and as long as it is not an issue just leave it. If it is an issue you could let it dry out and paint it with some primer it will hold off most of the rust for as long as you need.

As for the original problem snowy type frost inside the freezer is normaly caused by moisture in the air freezing. This moistue can get in when you open the door or by an air leak in the freezer.
    This could be caused by the door seal not sealing properly. Close a thin sheet of paper between the door and the door frame. Pull the paper and if it moves freely thenthe seal is not doing its job. If the paper is jamed in tight the seal is fine. Check the hinge side because that is the side that wears the most.

All the best taz.