Thread: R12 recovery

R12 recovery

Could someone please tell me what compressor would be most suitable to use in a R12 recovery unit for use on "dead car" aircon systems and maybe the odd old domestic frig or freezer? I have a choice of R12 freezer, R22 aircon (1HP) and a R12 fridge compessor. I am open to any suggestions as to the building of the recovery unit so feel free to offer your ideas. The R12 will be reused in my own vehicles after basic cleaning and drying etc. This is purely for own use and not for profit etc. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: R12 recovery

Chris, I would check, very carefully, what the regulations are in Australia regarding R12.

It is a prohibited gas in most parts of the world now and heavy penalties can be inflicted if the gas is not processed correctly. You can recover it but it must then be sent for safe disposal. It cannot be reused.

Other than that I would go for the R12 fridge compressor.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Brian's right.

Please check the laws in Australia.

What you are proposing to do would be illegal in this country and many others, too.

its illegal to reuse r12 in uk check if ok in austratia or you may face big fines

Thanks for all your comments. I was advised by a supplier of refrig parts and gas, who also act as a collection point for unwanted gases that reclaiming/recycling/reusing for my own use was fine. Not allowed to sell etc or vent to atmosphere etc. Cheers, Chris

Chris,

Send me a PM. I think what you propose is fraught with pitfalls. Salvage of mystery gas will give you disappointing repairs. If you have known clean gas, you can recover and reuse it, but it takes great care to avoid mixing air, moisture and the R12 my mistake. You would need a vacuum pump as minimum gear. You can press a refrig compressor into service, but they do depend on refrigerant and oil return for cooling and lubrication. Much is luck on that.

I don't think it's a worthwhile project and R12 is one of the worst ozone depleters.

Conversion to R134 will reduce ownership cost looking forward.

Hi Larry, I can't find how to PM you. Any quick help appreciated.

hi chris
    in australia it is illegal to buy,store,use,transport or sell any refrigerant if you are not a licensed contractor.you can still have r12 in any system but you cannot modify,repair or dispose of any system that contains this gas unless you are licensed and follow strict guidelines.i dont know why a wholesaler would say anything to the contrary but i would certainly double check with arctick the licensing body first.hope this helps

Chris, you would need to complete your contact information on the registration page. Then you can send and receive PM's.

You can find a lot of information about Ozone depleting refrigerants, licensing and use in Australia at:

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/

There is a study guide for the USA certification exam where you can take a quick study course free at

www.epatest.com

They offer a wealth of information about recovery requirements, including procedures to avoid venting gas. I expect since the legislation stems from the Montreal Protocol, the licensing, recovery requirements and enforcement activities will be similar in your country.

Hi Larry

Chris won't be able to use the Private messaging function until his post count = 15.

In the meantime, if you want to send direct communication, view his Public Profile and download his Vcard. This will give you his direct e-mail address.

Chris

This applies also to you if you want to contact Larry or any other member

Thanks Frank. I thought he hadn't filled out the profile.

Thanks again to all who replied.