Toolbox decisions

Hi there , has any body found the perfect tool box yet for being a fridge mechanic ?

I have been through several canvas carry totes
    Steel tool box's
    Plastic tool box's

I still can't find a perfect tool box !

I thought I had a good thing , a tool bucket , plastic with wheels , tub in the middle for the big tools , canvas organiser around the sides , But it has failed as well.

I need some idea's

Any body got any thoughts ,

I work on all sorts of stuff from Domestic a/c to large comercial a/c plants and all sorts of commercial plant from kitchen to processing plants

So I carry every thing from a 4" shifter to a 12" shfter and everyting in between

Re: Toolbox decisions

these are a must for me,last years so the price pays for its self in the long run

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0619345
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
    Hi there , has any body found the perfect tool box yet for being a fridge mechanic ?

I have been through several canvas carry totes
    Steel tool box's
    Plastic tool box's

I still can't find a perfect tool box !

I thought I had a good thing , a tool bucket , plastic with wheels , tub in the middle for the big tools , canvas organiser around the sides , But it has failed as well.

I need some idea's

Any body got any thoughts ,

I work on all sorts of stuff from Domestic a/c to large comercial a/c plants and all sorts of commercial plant from kitchen to processing plants

So I carry every thing from a 4" shifter to a 12" shfter and everyting in between

I use somthing similar to this.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true

It has all the compartments you need, it has wheels and it will seperate so you can have tools you use regular and tools you anly use occasionaly seperated from each other.

Cheers taz.

This what i use, I have a couple it folds up real nice and holds everything I need. Does not take up much room in my van either

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V29B7K?...0&linkCode=asn

A-Z

Blog Entries

When I buy toolbox I ask salesman if I could step on it.
    If they hesitate I simply turn over and leave.

This is two who passed my test (cca150 kg):
    1.I have one 20" Raco Toolbox about 10 years and it is practically nonbreakable. I could not find link to that manufacturer any more. Does anyone know current link?

2.Stanley FatMax also very good and reasonably priced.
    http://tinyurl.com/5nytcq

If you prefer suitcase like, I recommend this manufacturer:
    http://www.parat.de/e/1262/

Quote Originally Posted by nike123 View Post

2.Stanley FatMax also very good and reasonably priced.
    http://tinyurl.com/5nytcq
    I drag the Stanley fat max through snow, mud, and other unconceivable places. It has steel roller bearing drawer sliders, and locks, sets up in under 5 seconds.

I get many compliments on it as well, when using it in the field.

It is made of durable plastic, and jumbo plastic casters, I don't think I would step on it to prove its strength while folded out, but I would when it was all folded up. I weight almost 250 pounds and have used it as step stool a time or two. If it can hold me up it should be good to go.

I also own a Snap-On tool box that is a stationary work station, that tool box is virtually indestructible, but very costly and not field ready. You can step in each one of its drawers, and lay in set up a cot to sleep in the top drawer. the more weight you put in it the better the sliders work.

I have many tools boxes and caddy's, but will have to say for capacity durability and ease of quick use, the Stanley fat-max is my favorite tool caddy of choice, It goes every where i go.

The item I used for many years was an electricians tool pouch with a web belt. You can put all of the screw drivers, wrenches, pliers, etc in the little pouches in distinct locations.

Once you get used to using this and have the tools arranged where you want them, you can work on something and reach for the tools without having to look for them. Saves a lot of time.

For those specific tasks such as flaring, etc I used a tool box which had all of the flaring and cutting tools in it. Same with electrical.

When you need something, just grab the smaller box for the task and off you go.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

My ute is my toolbox. For transporting hand tools, meters and gauges, I use a rucksuck. They don't tear like regular bags, or crack like plastic toolboxes. They're light, they're easier to carry up ladders, and across roofspaces than a tool box. And you can fit heaps in them.
    In my bag there's a 4-10" shifter (invest in a good 10" shifter like "fuller", their 10"s open up as much as most 12"s, saves some weight), 7 screwdrivers, valve key, hex keys, knifes, mulitmeter, clamp meter, PT charts, thermometer, battery screwdriver, heaps of hex bits, spare screws, crimp/screw connectors and caps, schrader tool, small flaring tool, small socket set bits.
    All the electrical stuff goes in the outside pockets, all the metal stuff gets poured in the main bag.
    And in a pinch my gauges and a mapp torch can fit in there, I hate making multiple trips

If I have to park 1km away, climb up a 5m ladder or crawl through 80m of roof space, I dont want to carry a tool box, but I don't want to only carry what fits in my pockets either.

edit: A tough rucksack is the best way to carry stuff around, unless you never leave the ground and have a trolley that is.
    Last edited by paul_h; 14-04-2008 at 08:39 PM.

This is what i have;

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leather.../dp/B0000DYVCY

I`m fed up now.It`s $99 on here and i paid £100.

Ideal for the same reason Paul said and i have a Stanley fatmax for other stuff.
    If it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Damo

gloucesterfridg Guest

Hofbauer are by far and away the best of the toolcase variety. Far better than the RS one that's for sure..I had mine nicked out of my car and the insurance replaced it with a Roebuck thing- absolutely nowhere near as good. Less than one year and it's failing already. The Hof was at least 10 years and whilst worn was still great to own.

http://www.shop4cases.co.uk/product_list.asp?CatID=147

Don't be put of by the website they are really a very small outfit and helpful too

G.F

Hi

I have also been searching for the ideal tool box,I tried the RS tool case as mentioned which was good but just got heavier and heavier then one hinge broke I now use similar to chuncky a rucksack,this is great it cost me around 35 pound from CP.It opens up and has so many pouches.Throw it on your back and away you go plus you have your hands free.

Regards Bernard

Thanks for all your reply's guys , I like the look of the rucksak ,

Will search the local tool suppliers

Thanks from Australia

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I'm with the rucksack guys.

Have to admit that mine cost me £5 from the local 'Bag Shop' in Weymouth; they normally last around 18 months which I consider a fair exchange for the money.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Blog Entries

http://www.biltema.no/products/produ...?iItemId=92842

It has another compartment on the other side, and you can stuff it till it bulges out
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Blog Entries

I actually have 5 box of tools and for every job I compose my tool-case for that job in back of my van.
    That mean, that on site, I usually arrive with one box of necessary tools and other box is measuring equipment necessary for that job.

Might check out the The VETO PRO PAC [Vertical Tool Orientation Protected and Packed]. I have a clip loaded on this server: http://www.hvacprotech.org/HVAC%20PR..._Tool_Bags.htm
    Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. If we continue to develop our technology without wisdom or prudence, our servant may prove to be our executioner.

a heavy duty 10 litre plastic bucket is good for carrying tools around on site , im talking about the type that paint comes in , it can be used as a seat when working on low compressors or incremental units ,and if theres a leak you can put the tools on the floor and use the bucket to catch the water like when your bleeding a system or draining a fcu etc also we had a building with the t/stats a bit to high for me so id just empty the tools and stand on the upturned bucket .yes roll up and get your incredible bucket right now no payments down and nothing to pay later available from the dumpster of any construction site

I have a Black Snap-On box that sits in one spot and never moves. If I need a few tools. I have a hand held tool carrier to tote around.

I use one of these and most of the guys that i work with use them.
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...&product=30728
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Marc

Just got myself one of these, well you gotta look the part http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0119255
    Transvestites are men who like to eat, drink, and be Mary.

I have several took cases, it depends on what task I have to do. If its vacumeing and charging, then I have all the tools for that job. If its commissioning an iTouch, I have a computer bag also with some tools. If it’s a major trouble shooting task, I have a case with service checker with all different leads. If it’s a compressor replacement, have a different case. If I am travelling on a plane I have a different case.
    It can be expensive as you are buying the same tool 2 or 3 times, but it works for me and I am lucky as I generally know which task I am going to be going to be doing that day. Anything too strenuous, then I send someone else

Obi Wan

Big B Guest

Excellent topic Guy's, been having trouble sorting my gear out, and this thread has given me some idea's.

Cheers

im using a fatmax bag but with my screw drivers pliers etc in a small had case so i dnt need to carry the bag everywere the bag is a stanly fatmax open top thingy seems to hold up ok

I have one of these:
    http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0619345

and one of these:
    http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...&product=30728

the CK one was supposed to replace my RS one, but I just couldn't get the thing organised the way I wanted it, the screwdrivers kept falling out. pretty handy for the laptop though. after nearly 20 years of using the RS cases I still haven't found anything better. I wish I did as I'm longing for one I can carry on my shoulder

I had the rucksack one but was only really useful for maintenance work