advise on fridge-freezer

hiya,

my fridge-freezer has packed up and i decided to get a new one but not sure if i should get one with a Temperature Control - Twin thermostat or a single thermostat, there seems to be loads with a single but not many with twin....

what are the advantages/disadvantages of have a single or a twin....

any advise would be much appriciated

thanks
    dee

Re: advise on fridge-freezer

Quote Originally Posted by deek19790 View Post
    hiya,

my fridge-freezer has packed up and i decided to get a new one but not sure if i should get one with a Temperature Control - Twin thermostat or a single thermostat, there seems to be loads with a single but not many with twin....

what are the advantages/disadvantages of have a single or a twin....

any advise would be much appriciated

thanks
    dee

Single stat controls the fridge temp.
    When the temp in the fridge is ok the temp in the freezer is also ok as well.

With dual control the fridge and freezer operate narmaly be the freezer controling the temp and the fridge stat opperating a flap that allows cold air to be blown into the fridge.

My advise will be to buy the cheapest, no gimick fridge you like.
    A fridge is a fridge is a fridge you pay for the name and for the gadgets that they put on the thing.

Expense will not garentee quality.

Cheers taz.

doncook Guest

just get one that fits

Hi probably best to get the standard frost free fridge / freezer with 1 thermostat as their is less parts to go wrong. Not sure if you can still get the 2 compressor fridge freezers anymore.

im looking at the lg gcf399bupa for £359.99 including delivery...any comments?

thanks
    dee

hey,

if i brought one with a single thermostat how would i control the temporature of the freezer for instanst if i thought it was too low and needed to increase it?

thanks
    dee

hey,

if i brought one with a single thermostat how would i control the temporature of the freezer for instanst if i thought it was too low and needed to increase it?

thanks
    dee

You won't.

With one stat the temp in the fridge is controled.
    For the fridge to be at the correct temp the freezer must be at the correct temp because the way they are designed (the refrigerant flows through the frezzer before it goes to the fridge).

Cheers taz.

hiya,

thanks for that....so i am best to just get a single thermosat one really?

my old one is a double thermostat but the freezer has stopped working....its cold in there but not freezing....therefore everything is melting...but the fridge is fine....any ideas?

dee

Blog Entries

hiya,

thanks for that....so i am best to just get a single thermosat one really?

my old one is a double thermostat but the freezer has stopped working....its cold in there but not freezing....therefore everything is melting...but the fridge is fine....any ideas?

dee
    Is it two compressor model or one compressor model?

hiya,

it has two knobs to control temporature one for fridge and other for freezer...

thanks
    dee

Is it frost free, air draft, or two refrigerant circuits (evaporators or compressors)
    Maybe search the net with the model number for manufacturers data and get back to us.

Nearly all fridge freezers now have two temp controls. The only ones that didn't, were manual defrost (cyclic defrost) models. They had a thermostat for the fridge, and the freezer had no control, just first dibs on the refrigerant.
    Now most fridge freezers now are frost free with all the cooling done in the freezer. So they have a thermostat for the freezer, and the fridge has an air damper to increase/decrease freezer air flow into the fridge. So still two different temp controllers, ones just rough as guts to control temp (air damper for fridge). edit: While the old style cyclic defrost units were precise control in the fridge, and rough as guts in the freezer.
    Bigger more expensive units sometimes have two separate evaporators, on for fridge, one for freezer, and either one of them with a thermistor to start the compressor up.
    Last edited by paul_h; 14-04-2008 at 08:14 PM.

hiya,

thanks for the info!

so what are the twin thermostats for then.....since both of the freezers and fridges have separate controls in a single thermostat model?

Because if there's one control, only one (fridge or freezer) gets accurate and proper control, the other cabinet gets close to/has to make do with what it's got and the owner has to fine tune and manually set an air damper. They normally have a controller of sorts, just mechanical and not precise.

Twin thermostats get accurate control in both sections. It can be just a motorized air damper opening/closing it self, blowing freezer air into the fridge which is self adjusting for closer control. Or it can be two separate evaporator coils, with each thermostat controlling the evap fans and compressor demand.
    Last edited by paul_h; 15-04-2008 at 02:14 PM.

hey,

does that mean if i have a single thermostat and it breaks both the food in the fridge and freezer will go off?

also does the fridge control the freezer or the freezer control the fridge?....which will be acurate on the lg gcr399buqa?

dee

Depends on what the thermostat controls, that's my point. On single thermostat fridge/freezers, one is slave to the other, no thermostat means no cooling in either.
    Plus like I said before, I don't know the fridge you are looking at, and googling gives no results.

Mac_Sam Guest

Try removing all the refrigerant, pressure testing and recharging with rtefrigerant...sounds like there is enough refrigerant to bring it down to chiller temp but not freezer... refrigerant will run through the freezer then the chiller. with low refrigerant the freezer will chil down but not freeze...

P.s A standard one knob thermo for a chiller is way more relaible.