u856684 Guest

Industrial Refrigeration Design

My company is considering a plant that will involve design of a large propylene refrigeration system (>8,000 tons @ -35 deg.) with several evaporators.

Would anyone care to mention some names of design firms capable of designing such a system? Perferably, but not necessarily, based in the US.

Thanks,

Re: Industrial Refrigeration Design

J&E Hall, Based in england.

Regards,
    Guapo

try star refrigeration in england as well.

Hi, u856684

welcome to RE forums...

Quote Originally Posted by u856684 View Post
    My company is considering a plant that will involve design of a large propylene refrigeration system (>8,000 tons @ -35 deg.) with several evaporators.

Would anyone care to mention some names of design firms capable of designing such a system? Perferably, but not necessarily, based in the US.

Thanks,
    Can you describe a little more all about your plant ....

....... >8000 tons at -35* ( deg F or C) .... petrochemical plant or something other.... thanks

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Hydrocarbon systems, especially large ones such as yours should probably be built by the equipment manufacturer who has the most experience. I can't speak for the international market as I am not very familiar with all of their capabilities.

However, here in the US the two names that come to mind are: FES or Frick. If you would like some contact names, please let me know.

This project sounds similar to one I worked on many years ago, but mine was only about 6,000 HP. Yours will be considerably bigger for that capacity and temperature range.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

Bonar Engineering did our Brewery ammonia system which was commissioned last year. It's +15F ammonia at 5K hp, came up easy and is running well. Good service from design to start-up from Hank and company and no complaints so far! Google Bonareng.com

u856684 Guest

Sorry for the sketchy information - we are in the conceptual design phase. Call it 8,500 tons @ -35 F (-37 C) for a petrochemical site in the US.

Also, on the other response, I have previously understood FES and Frick to design much smaller units than this one.
    Thanks,

I would talk to J. Borg PE at Carbonyl.
    He is an expert in large refrigeration design for petro chem facilities, and based in the Baton Rouge area
    send me a note and I will give you his phone number

Bruce

u856684,

I talked to FES about your application. They did say they would be interested in discussing this project further. They have packaged centrifugal compressors as well as screw, so you have a choice in what you might want.

If you want to pursue this, let me know and I can pass along the gentleman's name.
    If all else fails, ask for help.

try gea in england
    they have a division for petrochemical that used to be technofrigo and are very experienced in large installations.

Thanks,
    hi this

My company is possible with good track records. York International (Base in Singapore), some plants that we have Exxon Mobile, GSK and a few others. PM me if you are still looking

York can probably design a system of this type.

Thomas J. Ricci Guest

BT Builders Inc
    Pompano Beach, Florida

Kamm Consulting, Deerfield Beach, Florida

Thanks,
    Hi Thomas:
    Please check message date. This is almost one year old. Sorry.
    Josei

sepideh Guest

hello
    our company is constructing 25 mw power plant with natural gas fuel (engin generator).
    we want to use of our exhaust heat for having industrial refrigrator_ 2 refrigrator 1.(5 c )2 . (-30 c)_
    and because of envirment we want to use nitrogen instead of ammoniom.
    can u give me some information for this system.

with best regards
    sepideh

Hi, sepideh ,

Quote Originally Posted by sepideh View Post
    hello
    our company is constructing 25 mw power plant with natural gas fuel (engin generator).
    we want to use of our exhaust heat for having industrial refrigrator_ 2 refrigrator 1.(5 c )2 . (-30 c)_
    and because of envirment we want to use nitrogen instead of ammoniom.
    can u give me some information for this system.

with best regards
    sepideh
    this is a very strange idea to make an industrial refrigeration plant with nitrogen as refrigerant .... OK, we use nitrogen, but for very special purposes in a freezing tunnels ...

in another hand ammonia is natural gas (green and very cheap refrigerant) and I can strongly recommend you to use it .... you can build a very nice plant with a very little amount of ammonia without any harm to environment ... energy saving plant to leave something good to your kids....

... , but let's wait for some other valuable comments ....

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

For a large R290 system, your best bets are GEA-FES Systems and Frick (York). Frick (York) is stuck with the York Turbomaster for a centrifugal; however, FES can go to the API compressor manufacturers for a true industrial compressor. A thrird option would be Enterflex (formerly Toromont); however, they are concentrating on gas compression and letting the refrigeration syatems pass by. They also have very few large industrial systems people left. The ones with the most experience and technical personell world wide would be FES and Frick.

Wagner Meinert would be interested in helping you with your design and installation. Contact em when you get an opportunity to discuss. We are a large mechanical design build firm.

If you seek a design consultant in industrial refrigeration plants , 60 years experience , professional criteria , the better . . . George Briley , P.E. , of Technicold Services , Inc. , http://retaaz.com/retaazphx/gcb/about.htm

TECHNICOLD SERVICES, INC.
    8727 Huebner Rd - Apt. 315
    San Antonio TX 78240

Phone: 210-340-0664
    Fax: 210-340-0369
    Cell: 210-274-7717
    email: georgegcb@aol.com
    email: georgegcb@sbcglobal.net

The biggest refrigeration company in North America with over 7000 artificial ice rinks installed, Olympic slides, industrial refrigeration 10000 tons and more, Ammonia and other refrigerant ,direct and indirect cooling system ,
    Ground freezing, meat plant, brewery, Dairy, refrigerated warehouses, Petro chemicals etc...

CIMCO REFRIGERATION
    65 VILLIERS STREET,
    TORONTO, ONTARIO
    CANADA
    M5A 3S1
    TEL: 416 465 7581
    fax 416 465 8815

http://info.cimcorefrigeration.com/