R-22 phase out Documentation

Guys,

Anybody knows where I can find supporting documentation for the R-22 phase out regulations?

I also have 3 questions:
    1- Can existing R-22 units still remain in service after the phase out?
    2- Can new units be manufactured using existing stocks or new production of R-22? Until when?
    3- Is there a cutoff date for the manufacturer of units that use R-22?

Thank you for your answers!

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: R-22 phase out Documentation

What are the regulations in your country regarding the phase out?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I heard that it will be phased out in the US in 1/1/2010.
    But not sure if completely phased out in 2010 or 80%. That's why I need the documentation. Any idea?

Thx Brian!

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phaseout/classtwo.html
    • On January 1, 2003, EPA banned the production and import of virgin HCFC-141b, the first Class II substance to be phased out.
    • On January 1, 2010, production and import of virgin HCFC-22 and HCFC-142b will be banned. Exceptions will be available for servicing of equipment made before this date (the so-called “servicing tail”), for export, and for processes resulting in transformation or destruction of the substances.
    • On January 1, 2015, production and import of other virgin Class II substances will be banned. Exceptions will be available for use as a refrigerant in equipment manufactured before January 1, 2020, as well as for export and for processes resulting in transformation or destruction.
    • On January 1, 2020, all production and import of virgin HCFC-22 and HCFC-142 will be banned, with exceptions for export and for processes resulting in transformation or destruction.
    • On January 1, 2030, all production and import of virgin HCFCs will be banned, with exceptions for export and processes resulting in transformation or destruction.
    • On January 1, 2040, all production and import of virgin HCFCs will be banned, except for processes resulting in transformation or destruction.
    The phaseout was increased from 65% to 75% for 2010 in the Dec. 2007 meeting in developed countries. That's probably why you have seen sudden increases in the price.

jamesburke Guest

January 1, 2010: After 2010, chemical manufacturers may still produce R-22 to service existing equipment, but not for use in new equipment. As a result, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system manufacturers will only be able to use pre-existing supplies of R-22 to produce new air conditioners and heat pumps. These existing supplies would include R-22 recovered from existing equipment and recycled.The above comes fron an EPA site, What You Should Know about Refrigerants When Purchasing or Repairing a Residential A/C System or Heat Pump, comes up on any searchHope this helps.

Guys! Thanks a lot for your help!!

Your information was EXTREMELY helpful to me!